Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Randy on CNN Today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 1:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
Last I checked, Mets didnt charge 490 + for a seat!</font>
Maybe they need to...When was the last time the won the world series? Maybe they need to hike uop their prices so they could attract osme real talent so they coudl actually have a chance to win?

Did you just not have a cow when the price of stamps went from 35 cents to 37 cents a few weeks/months ago? If I'm correct, that's aboput av 5.7% increase. Simply Outrageous!
Old Sep 7, 2002, 1:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
Like I said a week or so ago, Diesel, I am sure Uncle Leo is proud of you </font>

also Mikey, if you read my post above, you will see where I said that I am also unhappy about these changes. I'm trying to work with you and not against you.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Would waiving the same-day standby fee for GM/PM's work a huge financial hardship?

Seems to me it would encourage even more Medallions to re-qualify higher and bring over elites from other airlines.

Trying to be unique, especially if you're the airline with the best financials, has to have some appeal.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her
Having the "best" financials of their main competitors actually puts them at a disadvantage right now. I say this because the couple billion that they have on the financial sheet is borrowed money AND the other carriers filing for bankruptcy have the ability to get extra government backing (bailing out) and are "excused" from some of their debts under bankruptcy law. This will make it easier for them to operate financially in the short term and thus gives them a strategic advantage over Delta. Ergo, Delta needs to make necessary changes in order to hopefully retain their competitive advantage.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
To return to the subject of the original post, is the "Randy" in the title Randy Peterson? And was the direction of the concern that he was too understanding of the airline position behind these recent (and, to me, outrageous) fare and rule changes? I couldn't follow the direction of people's concerns from the posts.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:07 am

&gt;&gt;are you attempting to argue that DL is not the most healthy airline, financially speaking, among the majors?&lt;&lt;

Someone's forgetting Southwest.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lowfareair:
&gt;&gt;are you attempting to argue that DL is not the most healthy airline, financially speaking, among the majors?&lt;&lt;

Someone's forgetting Southwest.
</font>
I'm sorry but I was not considering Southwest as one of the Major airlines. You are right though. Aren't they at least turnign a profit?
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Justin026:
To return to the subject of the original post, is the "Randy" in the title Randy Peterson? And was the direction of the concern that he was too understanding of the airline position behind these recent (and, to me, outrageous) fare and rule changes? I couldn't follow the direction of people's concerns from the posts.</font>
Yes. Randy seems largely silent on these issues and rarely engages the airlines on the record for reasons best known to him. Check out this two-year-old FT transcript (9/21/00):

He's been a friend to us and I'll defend his privilege to say "no mas," if that explains the situation.

A decision to phase out frequent flier programs over the next five years could be what we're experiencing. "Fly-ten-get-one-free" could be all that's left. The big six may have realized there's little profit in maintaining the expense of these behemoths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.