FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   New $100 standby fee applies to misconnects? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/55282-new-100-standby-fee-applies-misconnects.html)

B747-437B Sep 5, 2002 7:36 pm

New $100 standby fee applies to misconnects?

I read through the Delta press release very closely and conspicuously noted the absence of any language excluding passengers who have misconnected due to late arrivals of incoming flights from having to pay the $100 standby fee to travel on a flight later that day.

Does anyone else interpret this similarly? If it is indeed true, do you think it will cause a drop in traffic significant enough to offset the revenue gains?

obscure2k Sep 5, 2002 7:48 pm

Quote:"I read through the Delta press release very closely and conspicuously noted the absence of any language excluding passengers who have misconnected due to late arrivals of incoming flights from having to pay the $100 standby fee to travel on a flight later that day.

Does anyone else interpret this similarly? If it is indeed true, do you think it will cause a drop in traffic significant enough to offset the revenue gains?

If this is, indeed true, I'll be looking at longer connecting times. Worst-case scenario for me is being trapped in customs knowing my flight is leaving in 1 hour. Had about 20 minutes to race from E gate to B gate in Atl. after "random search" in customs. Thus, I'll give myself a much larger window to connect. I might add that the reason for the late arrival in Atl., was a nasty little micro-system which occurred in SCL which delayed our take-off by nearly 2 hours. The pilot had to receive special clearance to take off to the north. Should I pay $100.00 because the winds kicked up in Chile and caused me to miss my connecting flight?

ozstamps Sep 5, 2002 7:53 pm

I want to buy the video rights for when Cigarman arrives late one night due to weather or other misconnect delay and the DL agent wants to charge a $100 fee to get him on the next flight. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com

B747-437B Sep 5, 2002 7:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Should I pay $100.00 because the winds kicked up in Chile and caused me to miss my connecting flight?</font>
By the same logic, why should Delta be held responsible for something out of their control.

If you want the flexibility of being able to misconnect then take a nonstop, pay for an unrestricted fare or fly a private jet.

SRQ Guy Sep 5, 2002 8:02 pm

When you buy a ticket, the airline is contractually obligated to get me from my origin to my destination. They don't have to pay for my food or hotel, unless a significant delay is their fault, because it's not part of the contract. But the transportation is part of the contract, and they're obligated to provide it.

B747-437B Sep 5, 2002 8:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
But the transportation is part of the contract, and they're obligated to provide it.</font>
You contract to be carried on specific flights. If you are unable to make it aboard the flight that you have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to be aboard, then why should the airline be forced to accomodate you without a charge?

obscure2k Sep 5, 2002 8:07 pm

Quote:
"By the same logic, why should Delta be held responsible for something out of their control.

If you want the flexibility of being able to misconnect then take a nonstop, pay for an unrestricted fare or fly a private jet."
--Sadly, DL does not fly non-stops from SCL to LAX--I remember a time, not very long ago, when as a PM I was greeted by a Concierge in the arrivals area who expedited my connection. Last time I was in Atl, saw no-one trying to expedite anything. So, yet another PM perk gone.
I will not argue the point that DL should be "responsible" for something out of their control. Simply restated, I will look for longer connecting times.. Having said that, I wonder if the CRC & BE lounges will start charging for alcoholic beverages. They will have a much larger and more captive audience waiting much longer for their no-penalty connections..

fannin Sep 5, 2002 8:11 pm

The "flat tire" rule is still in effect, according to SMS. If you get there two hours or less after posted departure time your ticket is still valid. That covers the train breaking down at Hartsfield, power failures, your wife being rushed into surgery and the like. After two hours, no excuses.

mikey1003 Sep 5, 2002 8:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Quote:

I remember a time, not very long ago, when as a PM I was greeted by a Concierge in the arrivals area who expedited my connection. ..
</font>

Talk about memories http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif I remember a Red Coat boarding my flight from CVG to JFK to "help me find the International" lounge.....ah for the good old days http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starsmilie.gif

stillontheroad Sep 5, 2002 8:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
By the same logic, why should Delta be held responsible for something out of their control.

If you want the flexibility of being able to misconnect then take a nonstop, pay for an unrestricted fare or fly a private jet.
</font>

You missed the point.... Delta getting you to the gate late whether weather or equipment related is the same as you missing a flight due to things you can't control (accident, irate client, flat tire, etc...)

If they want me as a customer to be responsible for making my scheduled flights and paying $100 if I can't make the schedule, they should also be held accountable (to the tune of $100) for causing me to arrive at the gate after the flight has left.

They contracted to get me from point "A" to point "B" during their scheduled time of x:00 - y:00. If they expect me to pay them for their violation of the contract I will fly someone else

cigarman Sep 5, 2002 10:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
I want to buy the video rights for when Cigarman arrives late one night due to weather or other misconnect delay and the DL agent wants to charge a $100 fee to get him on the next flight. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

</font>
Don't get me started on that weather Cr*p! I had to wait 3 hours the other day because my plan was delyed by weather... ON ANOTHER CONTINENT! BS... under that theory if it's raining anywhere in the world... it's not Delta's responsibilty to do anything for the customer. BAH HUMBUG

Robert Leach Sep 6, 2002 12:02 am

I see exactly where B747 is going with his argument, but my hunch is that in the case of misconnects, they'll rebook affected people in Y on the next flight. And since Y is unrestricted and doesn't require the payment of a standby fee, it will be allowable (and won't be inhibited by the computer software that you know Delta will put in place to prevent gate agents from letting standbys on without paying the fee).

Just Passing Thru Sep 6, 2002 5:31 am

I do not believe DL will force weather-related misconnects to pay up under the new change fee regime.

Why? Two words. Holiday season.

Can you imagine the spectacle of a couple hundred Kettles -- all in one line -- screaming at DL ticket and gate agents because a Christmas snowstorm screwed the system up? The first airline that insists on collecting change fees for wx delays will be all over the evening news. Not only would the pax revolt, but I suspect the GAs, TAs, redcoats and Uncle Leo's dog would, too.

I simply cannot see that happening at any airline, DL included.

avek00 Sep 6, 2002 6:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Just Passing Thru:
I do not believe DL will force weather-related misconnects to pay up under the new change fee regime.

Why? Two words. Holiday season.

Can you imagine the spectacle of a couple hundred Kettles -- all in one line -- screaming at DL ticket and gate agents because a Christmas snowstorm screwed the system up? The first airline that insists on collecting change fees for wx delays will be all over the evening news. Not only would the pax revolt, but I suspect the GAs, TAs, redcoats and Uncle Leo's dog would, too.

I simply cannot see that happening at any airline, DL included.
</font>

Who cares if pax revolt? If they get out of line, call the airport police and let them take care of business...

Just Passing Thru Sep 6, 2002 7:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Who cares if pax revolt? If they get out of line, call the airport police and let them take care of business...</font>
DL revenue management will care a great deal. I am not speaking of the immediate issue of "what do we do about all these upset Kettles?" I speak of the more long-term issue of "well, we've managed to alienate every potential customer except for DL employees and al-Qaeda members. ... do we do for revenue now?"