Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta:America's new low fare/no frills airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta:America's new low fare/no frills airline?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2002, 11:04 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MUC Flyer:
If DL wants to keep pace with AA and UA in my eyes, they should offer a competitive product - and they don't, not in Y and I read they don't in domestic F on some equipment. So don't worry so much about AirTran, except in certain leisure markets where you can use DL Exp, and focus on the lucrative routes, where your product is slipping, would be advice.

I'd like to see the reaction on Va. Ave. if/when J6 announces an E+ product....
</font>
Sorry MUC Flyer, but Delta's financial performance vs. AA and UA tells a different story. Delta's current strategies have brought the company MUCH closer to profitability than the approaches taken by AMR and UAL.

If anything, IMHO, it's AMR and UAL that need to alter THEIR Y products to the current market realities...
Old Aug 8, 2002, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I've been following this discussion with some interest, and I'm surprised nobody has brought up the following:
Many companies (mine included) have negotiated rates with several carriers. Every employee is REQUIRED to make all air reservations through the company-approved travel agent and website. Every employee is REQUIRED to select the lowest-cost airfare offered (there is room for the occasional exception which generally has to be approved at the corporate officer level). Now, admitedly, you can game the system to some extent, but the bottom line is: If DL is going from point A to point B for $X and someone else (say AirTran) is going from point A to point B for $X-$0.01 with a similar schedule, we are REQUIRED to select AirTran. No amount of arguing that DL offers more amenities and AirTran doesn't will get you onto DL. This also applies for those who try to argue that AA MRTC or UA E+ justify even a small premium for trans-con prices. To make it even worse, we must purchase all air travel on the company credit card and through the company travel agency, or else the expense is not reimbursed. This is done so the company can collect metrics to use in their negotiations with carriers.

What DL, UA, AA, and US SHOULD do is go to companies with very large travel expenditures (my company happens have one of the highest travel expenditures in the world), and negotiate EXCLUSIVE (or near-exclusive) rates. DL should say to us, we'll guarantee you the lowest available fare class for every flight you book, even if that fare class is sold out (i.e., even if they are out of T fares, as long as I'm trying to purchase a ticket that would otherwise meet the T fare restrictions, they'd sell me the ticket at the T fare price. Note that this still encourages people to plan in advance if they want lowest prices, but since some relatively inexpensive fares are theoretically available even close to flight time (K, Q), the company still gets a significant break on last-minute travel over walk-up Y.) In addition, we'll allow your medallions to upgrade on these fares. Finally, we'll give you a small number of "complimentary" Platinums and Golds each year to be distributed to executives and other senior staff members who may not travel frequently, but should receive some type of "VIP treatment". In return, you must guarantee us 95% or more of your total air travel dollars (to be verified by independent audit by the corporate travel agency). I'd be interested in hearing from those "in the biz" as to why this can't work? There must be some catch or else the airlines would already be doing it.

[This message has been edited by jimrpa (edited 08-08-2002).]
Old Aug 8, 2002, 3:40 pm

My company has deals with 4 of the major US carriers for X percent discount on fares. X is usually around 20-25% if I remember correctly. All of our travel is booked through one location but we are free to recommend flights and carriers. If the difference in price and/or schedules is not too out of line, we get what we ask for.

Usually we fly out of LAX to DFW on AA, short notice coach was about $1500RT. Flying out of Long Beach (20 minutes south) the fare dropped to $300. In this case, the company would make us fly out of Long Beach.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 4:56 pm

The US Government uses negotiated rates that must be used with few exceptions. Under the contract, we may not use another carrier that offers the same fare, but we are allowed to utilize cheaper fares if they are available.

The big gotcha is that all of the Gov't fares are fully refundable/changeable...while most cheaper fares are non-reundable.

The GSA posts these negotiated fares on their website.

[This message has been edited by Spot (edited 08-08-2002).]
Old Aug 9, 2002, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
the u.s. airline industry is taking 2 distinct paths.......the one's that make money even in bad times..Southwest, Jetblue and Airtran and the ones that loose money and are titering on bankruptcy like UAL and UsAir.....Delta is trying to seperate themselves from traditional airlines and become more like the new breed...I do think the pilots should take a good pay cut because lately the passenger's on Delta have taken all the cuts...if Delta wants to be part of the new breed they must cut the pilot's salaries to really compete effectively...the premium traditional product will survive on long haul domestic and international routes and maybe come back one day on short haul domestic if and when yields/high end biz travel picks up.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
Sorry MUC Flyer, but Delta's financial performance vs. AA and UA tells a different story. Delta's current strategies have brought the company MUCH closer to profitability than the approaches taken by AMR and UAL.

If anything, IMHO, it's AMR and UAL that need to alter THEIR Y products to the current market realities...
</font>
Avec, you and I see many things in the same light when it comes to airline operations (or lack thereof), but you should know that DL owes it's better financial position as much to the freedom to engage in "strategies", as opposed to just the quality of the "strategies" enacted themselves.

I know far too many EX airline executives who have told me they knew exactly what the problem was, knew exactly how to fix it, but were prohibited by labor structures, rules and relations befitting the 1950's from engaging in it. Like them, I have little doubt executives at carriers like AA and UA know exactly what needs to be done...but can't act for reasons we all know.

DL's major blessing (and most Wall Street analysts share this view) is that they don't have quite as big of a 'gun' aimed at their head when they want to enact changes that need to be made.

[This message has been edited by CoMooter (edited 08-09-2002).]
Old Aug 9, 2002, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jabez:
From "The Ticket" newsletter:
"JUST A THOUGHT: Delta has long built its reputation among business travelers as a full service, mainline carrier. But now, its marketing and advertising seem bent on portraying the carrier as a low fare carrier. It’s recent aggressive ad campaign seems to be trying to convince us that Delta (and not AirTran) is the airline that offers “more low fare seats” than any other carrier in Atlanta. What do you think about this approach?"

</font>
Low fare my ...

Try living near CVG
Old Aug 9, 2002, 10:02 am

From Delta Newsline :

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">While the specific components are not finalized, Delta’s low-cost carrier strategy is designed to meet customer demand for low-cost service and builds on strengths to compete more aggressively with low-cost carriers. The strategy is more than just a low-cost carrier response. It’s designed to leverage all of DL’s competitive advantages – the company’s market leadership in Florida and on the East Coast, the low-cost experience with DL Express, and the power of the fleet and technology – to enable DL to thrive in the new airline industry environment. DLX will continue to be a very effective competitor in every market it serves, with low fares and great customer service. As the new strategy is implemented, DL will start to introduce changes later this year and into 2003, when it transitions to the new product. The company wants to build on the success of DLX and win profitable new ground. Because of the competitive nature of the business, DL can’t share more details right now, but employees can expect to hear more about the strategy later this year. </font>
Old Aug 9, 2002, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
From Delta Newsline :

While the specific components are not finalized, Delta’s low-cost carrier strategy is designed to meet customer demand for low-cost service and builds on strengths to compete more aggressively with low-cost carriers. The strategy is more than just a low-cost carrier response. It’s designed to leverage all of DL’s competitive advantages – the company’s market leadership in Florida and on the East Coast, the low-cost experience with DL Express, and the power of the fleet and technology – to enable DL to thrive in the new airline industry environment. DLX will continue to be a very effective competitor in every market it serves, with low fares and great customer service. As the new strategy is implemented, DL will start to introduce changes later this year and into 2003, when it transitions to the new product. The company wants to build on the success of DLX and win profitable new ground. Because of the competitive nature of the business, DL can’t share more details right now, but employees can expect to hear more about the strategy later this year. </font>
OK, granted, I am not in the airline biz but that doesn't sound very good. Quite ominous in fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.