LHR

Old Jul 31, 2002, 2:44 pm

Is this legit or a prank?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...d.main/891047/

(I never trust anything from those message boards)
Old Jul 31, 2002, 4:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
MKC = Kansas City, MO

</font>

Perhaps you mean MCI?

MKC has no runway longer than 7002ft, nor does it have the FIS facilities to process a transoceanic flight.

------------------
Stronger than Airbus, Faster than Airbus, Bigger than Airbus... BETTER than Airbus!
Old Jul 31, 2002, 4:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
Is the assumptiuon, at least as fare a Delta goes, that service would be to either LGW or LHR? Do either AA or UA provide service to both London airports?
</font>
AA flies to LGW from DFW, RDU, and STL

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy
Old Jul 31, 2002, 4:39 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Open skies has been discussed time and time again. The problem is that even without the restrictive Bermuda 2 agreement, without slot divestiture at LHR open skies means very little.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 4:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777-232LR:
Perhaps you mean MCI?

</font>
MKC is the code for the city of Kansas City, MO.

MCI is the code for Mid Continent International airport, which is one of the airports covered under MKC.

The bilaterals are negotiated by CITY, not by airport. Hence, the bilateral specifies MKC rather than MCI.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 5:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The bilaterals are negotiated by CITY, not by airport.
</font>
FWIW, this is the "loophole" that recently allowed BA to switch their BWI service from LGW to LHR, since it is covered under Washington, D.C.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 5:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
FWIW, this is the "loophole" that recently allowed BA to switch their BWI service from LGW to LHR, since it is covered under Washington, D.C.</font>
Actually, this is a somewhat confusing loophole. Specifically, NYC includes JFK and EWR, WAS includes IAD and BWI, but SFO does NOT include SJC or OAK for the purpose of LHR access - however it DOES include them for the purpose of service. Go figure.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
MKC is the code for the city of Kansas City, MO.</font>
I find this difficult to accept as MKC seems to be specifically detailed as the "Kansas City Downtown Regional Airport" with the specific coordinates of 39-07-23.668N / 094-35-33.846W, and featuring two intersecting runways of 7002ft & 5050ft in length.

No other general city pair, such as TYO/CHI/WAS/NYC etc is specified in this manner. I must respectfully say that I believe you to be mistaken.

------------------
Stronger than Airbus, Faster than Airbus, Bigger than Airbus... BETTER than Airbus!
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777-232LR:
I find this difficult to accept as MKC seems to be specifically detailed as the "Kansas City Downtown Regional Airport" with the specific coordinates of 39-07-23.668N / 094-35-33.846W, and featuring two intersecting runways of 7002ft & 5050ft in length.

No other general city pair, such as TYO/CHI/WAS/NYC etc is specified in this manner. I must respectfully say that I believe you to be mistaken.

</font>
Are you saying that no city code is also an airport code?

If so, I believe DAL is another counter example. DAL can refer to all the Dallas-area airports, or specifically to Love Field. (I guess perhaps DFW can also be a city code and an airport-specific code).

p.s.: 747 is never mistaken.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
Are you saying that no city code is also an airport code?

If so, I believe DAL is another counter example. DAL can refer to all the Dallas-area airports, or specifically to Love Field. (I guess perhaps DFW can also be a city code and an airport-specific code).
</font>
Uncle!! I give up

p.s.: 747 is never mistaken. </font>
Yeah, I believe that one

------------------

[This message has been edited by 777-232LR (edited 07-31-2002).]
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:50 pm

</font>
I must respectfully insist otherwise. DAL (Dallas Love Field/DALLAS) and HOU (Houston Hobby Field/HOUSTON) are two that immediately come to mind.

MKC includes the airports KMKC (Kansas City Downtown), KOJC (Kansas City Executive), KJCI (Kansas City Industrial) and KMCI (Mid Continent International). Service to London may be operated from any of those gateways, pending approval from the appropriate US authorities.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet/777-232LR:
747 is never mistaken
Yeah, I believe that one
</font>
It's not that I'm never mistaken, its just that I don't open my mouth until I know what I'm talking about.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the summary of Bermuda II, B747-437B. Based on what you say, there is no way BA is allowed to operate nonstops to PHX, SAN and DEN from LHR. And yet that is what they have announced they will be doing from October!

There must have been a renegotiation of the Treaty, or else BA are incredibly certain of getting it.

I agree that slots are a big problem even if DL gets access at LHR. BA has spent very large amounts of money buying slots from SN (7 per day) after it went bust and also from a number of smaller European airlines (who it has given LGW slots to).
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by House:
Based on what you say, there is no way BA is allowed to operate nonstops to PHX, SAN and DEN from LHR. And yet that is what they have announced they will be doing from October! </font>
My info from sources at BA (which corraborates what I posted yesterday) is that someone at their PR department screwed up BIGTIME by making this announcement. There should have been a rider saying "PENDING GOVERNMENT APPROVAL". This may go down in aviation history as the equivalent of "Dewey Defeats Truman" or even Alaska's short-lived SNA-YVR service!

[This message has been edited by B747-437B (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Alaska's short-lived SNA-YVR service
</font>
Can someone fill me in on this little story?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.