Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shooting at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2002, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Shooting at LAX

CNN reports 1 killed, Gunman killed by El Al security guard.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/04/la....ing/index.html

Text of CNN.com story follows:
=====
One killed, gunman shot dead at Los Angeles airport
July 4, 2002 Posted: 4:39 PM EDT (2039 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport near the ticket counter of Israel's El Al Airlines, officials said, killing a person at the counter before being killed by an airline security guard.

At least two others were wounded in the attack, which occurred about 11:30 a.m. (2:30 p.m. EDT) Another person suffered stab wounds, but it was unclear who carried out the act, authorities said. Los Angeles police spokesman Alex Baez said police were investigating the possibility that another attacker was involved.

A sixth person was transported to the hospital after complaining of heart problems from witnessing the event.

LAPD Lt. Horace Frank said two people were being questioned by investigators in connection with the incident, and a "massive investigation" was under way.

"We don't know a motive," he said.

"At this time, there's no reason to believe the incident is terrorist-related," Frank added. But information was still sketchy Thursday afternoon, and the investigation is still in its earliest stages, he said.

The Tom Bradley International Terminal -- which is a separate building from the domestic terminals -- was shut down, LAPD spokesman Alex Baez said. Everyone inside was evacuated: Thousands of people were seen streaming out of the terminal, and traffic was stopped outside.

Police cars, ambulances and fire engines lined the road. FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said air traffic for domestic flights at the airport continued to operate normally.

Frank said the first reports said a suspect opened fire on an individual near the El Al counter. The suspect in turn was killed by El Al security personnel, but other "innocent bystanders" were shot and some were seriously wounded.

El Al is the Israeli national carrier. It is known for its strict security measures. In the Bradley terminal, its ticket counter is in one of two banks of counters for a number of international airlines.

Thad Weimlein, who was checking into his flight on Korean Air, heard an initial barrage of between eight and 10 shots, before it paused. Then the firing resumed, he said.

"People were running and screaming and hitting the floor," Weimlein said. "There were a number of plainclothes policemen who pulled out their guns and badges at the same time."

After it was over, officers asked everyone in the area of the international ticket counters to file outside, he said.

In December 1985 at the El Al airport ticket counter in Rome, terrorists threw grenades and opened fire with semi-automatic weapons, killing 17 people and wounding more than 100.

The last shooting at a U.S. airport was in May when a Pensacola, Florida, man opened fire at a ticket counter at the main airport in New Orleans, killing one person and wounding another.

Authorities said Patrick Gott, a Muslim man who was charged in the shooting, told them he opened fire because people had made fun of his turban at a restaurant shortly before he went to the airport.

Old Jul 4, 2002, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Occupationalhazard:
LAPD Lt. Horace Frank said ..."We don't know a motive. At this time, there's no reason to believe the incident is terrorist-related," </font>
Contrast with remarks of Israeli Transport Minister Efraim Sneh, near the end of the Reuters stor
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Amazing how much resource we throw at a shooting in an airport. Though I do not pretend to have actual facts, we all know that other shootings were taking place all around the LA area today. Did the same thing take place?

Nope.

Did the foolish no parking zones in the parking garages help this?

Nope.

Did all the other hassles we are putting the American Public through help?

Nope.

Old Jul 5, 2002, 3:49 pm

When the National Guard was picking their noses at the checkpoints, I thought that they should at least patrol the check in gates if they didn't want to walk outside. This might reduce the losses from a Rome/Vienna type airport attack (simultaneous attacks at the checkin counters on 12/27/85 - I remember because I thought "what's going on?" and I didn't speak more than 10 words of Italian)

Addendum: I was in Linate at the time, but there was a lot of commotion even in Milan.

[This message has been edited by Skylink USA (edited 07-05-2002).]
Old Jul 5, 2002, 6:42 pm
Suspended

NoStressHere, you are starting to sound stressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.