Gift Certificates

Old Jul 1, 02, 8:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Gift Certificates

I know this is nickel and dime stuff, but I am preparing for the American Express double miles promotion beginning July 15. While Hallmark was offering a very significant number of Goldpoints for the purchase of gift certificates, I became interested in the subject of purchasing gift certificates with credit cards.

The question I have is what gift certificates can be purchased with American Express credit cards at stores that give back cash for the difference between the face value of the gift certificate and the purchase amount. The ideal store would of course be one where a person would shop for everyday purchases.

I found that JC Penney gave back cash. Target and Home Depot did not, instead they gave me a new certificate. Also, I wonder which gift certificates have expiration dates.

I'm posting this in the Delta forum because of the double mile period. I wonder if it will be worthwile to stock up on gift certificates with no expiration and "cash-back" features to get the double miles?
Old Jul 2, 02, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Titanium
Andy, sounds like you are a real point junky. But, if you can get cash back, the certificate sounds like it could work. Just, do you want to make a trip to JC Penny every weekend to buy something for a buck and get cash back???

Search this Thread
Search Engine: