Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pending india trip (in one week) what would you do?

Old Jun 2, 02, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB

flying to india 2nd week in june from atlanta via cdg using PMU, very nervous now from whats happening between pakistan and india (or should i be?). delta's option to me now is change date with all fees waived,deadline until dec 31st 02. are they really right for not offering me a refund?
giving this scenario if also you can use the price of the ticket for the purchased of another ticket to a international destination what and how would go about it?
Old Jun 3, 02, 8:02 am

Location: Switzerland (ex-DFW) - DL MM/SM, AA 4MM/CK, BA/UA Silver, Kingfisher (RIP) Plat, MR LT Titanium
Assuming that you have a restricted-fare ticket (B or M fare basis), DL is being generous offering to waive fees on date changes. The only way you'll see a refund is if all flights wind up being cancelled, which is not very likely, IMO.

Yes, you should be able to apply the value of this ticket towards another Intl. itinerary should you decide not to go. If the fare basis is higher, they usually waive the change fee also.

If you do decide to go, be prepared for the possibility of trip interruption. The CDG-DEL routing goes right over the Indo-Pak border, and I suspect that service will be messed up for a few days when the shooting starts in earnest. I, for one, am headed back in July and am not overly concerned for my personal safety. The war, if it happens, will probably be confined to Kashmir.
Old Jun 3, 02, 8:10 am

Programs: AA1MMEXP, DL1MMPM, UAExecPrem, IT Gold, Hilton Dia, SPG PL, Marriott Sil, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC5*
I agree - if war does happen it will probably be confined to Kashmir. Both sides would be foolish to let it spill into a broader war; there is a certain degree of self preservation that kicks in. I would be prepared for a disruption of air travel or a possible grounding of aircraft during night time hours, or something of that nature.
Old Jun 3, 02, 8:20 am

http://travel.state.gov/india_warning.html

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
http://www.biztrip.com
Old Jun 3, 02, 10:45 am

As long as you stay out of the border states with Pakistan (Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, and of course, Kashmir), you should be fine.

A lot of the talk is just that, talk. Politicians (India) and military dictators (Pakistan) playing to the home crowd. It'd be foolish for either side to go to war.
Old Jun 3, 02, 11:23 am

1. The possibility of war before September are remote since military equipment does not work well in 50 C (summer) or with 5" of rain (monsoon).
2. Most probably if it happens it will be limited to Kashmir.

The only issue IMHO is of disruption in flights leaving you stuck there. I am sure the Pacific routes will continue to be operational.
Old Jun 3, 02, 12:06 pm

For the record, flights to/from India were never suspended during any of the previous shooting wars (India-Pakistan or India-China) so I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of getting stranded there.

Quite honestly, even if there is an escalation of military hostilities, anyone in the major cities, with the possible exceptions of Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Amritsar, Ludhiana or Chandigarh will not even notice the difference. And thankfully, any military action will be very swift, and hopefully decisive.
Old Jun 4, 02, 1:57 am

The only thing you should worry about is the weather Monsoon's wrath is something to content about.
Old Jun 4, 02, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
For the record, flights to/from India were never suspended during any of the previous shooting wars (India-Pakistan or India-China) so I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of getting stranded there.

Quite honestly, even if there is an escalation of military hostilities, anyone in the major cities, with the possible exceptions of Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Amritsar, Ludhiana or Chandigarh will not even notice the difference. And thankfully, any military action will be very swift, and hopefully decisive.
</font>
The situation is different nowadays. India and Pakistan (and/or China) did not have great air force or geographic power-projection capabilities during their previous conflicts. Now they have greater air and anti-air capabilities.

That is why not all flights were cancelled during prior conflicts.

Commercial passenger traffic was seen as being at risk in India as early as the 1960s. [This statement is based on the fact that I know the UN and Indian government had my grandfather fly on flights out of India with U Thant, the then secretary general of the UN, to minimize the risk to the flight and himself on the way to the UN for another Kashmir-related issue during another stupid war with no decisive resolution.
Old Jun 4, 02, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
At least the techies are staying, but they're in Bangalore which is much to the south.

War clouds don't scare techies

BANGALORE: The techies always behave differently. A sparkling positive attitude. Their hallmark.

At a time when a large number of Westerners are packing their bags fearing an impending war in the Indian subcontinent, the members of the expat community here who are primarily engaged in the technology creation activities, remain unfazed with no sign of panic.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/A...rt_id=11895482

Search this Thread
Search Engine: