DL London upgrade tax

Old May 28, 02, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

DL London upgrade tax

Today I flew LGW-ATL on a M coach ticket upgraded to BE with a SWU. I bought the $1100 ticket a few months ago. When I arrived to check in at LGW today, I was told that I would have to pay 20 British pounds additional. I checked my luggage, but they sent me to another line to wait to pay the additional fee. They said that the British government had increased the departure tax on business class only and they were "required" to collect it. Since we had coach tickets, we had only paid the "coach departure tax" not the "business class departure tax". There was a long line at the ticket counter of upset Medallion level folks waiting to pay this tax. Turns out they are charging only those who had used a Skymiles upgrade to upgrade, not paid business class passengers. Also, they said that the British government had increased the tax last October, but Delta decided only 2 weeks ago to pass it onto passengers.

Honestly, I don't mind paying the taxes levied by the government; the airline doesn't control that. The thing that was upsetting is that DL only told us when we showed up at the airport in a foreign country to fly home. DL didn't notify me before leaving on my trip (they have my address, phone number, and email address). They didn't notify me when I checked in on the USA to London segments. And, the agent said that DL had been just paying this tax themselves without additional charge to the customer since October (8 months). Certainly, they had plenty of time to decide what to do and how to do it. I think they should have notified the customers affected before they left on their trip. Of course, the only recourse the ticket agent offered was not being given a boarding pass if you didn't pay. When I said that I wasn't happy, she said "would you like the address to customer service in Atlanta?".

So, if you're traveling to or from any United Kingdom airport on DL, be prepared to pay extra at the airport when you depart the UK airport if you are using an upgrade.
Old May 28, 02, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Topic: LGW--additional tax collected--

Sorry, don't know how to add the link, but started this thread on 5/21. Search above topic for more info.
O2k
Old May 29, 02, 5:53 am

LGW Tax
Old May 30, 02, 9:42 am

I called SMS about this yesterday, hoping to pay this fee diference in advance of my trip this weekend. The agent and the tariff group in ATL that she called didn't know a thing about it. She was going to ask her supervisor to research the issue and put a note in my record if they could get an answer before my 6/1 departure.
Old May 30, 02, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't surprise me that SMS doesn't know anything about it. They will show you a letter at the LGW checkin desk that explains the tax and says something to the effect of "Delta is a gigantic airline and all of our agents in all of our cities don't know about this United Kingdom problem" (the letter is taped to the top of each Business Elite checkin counter). Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but it really does say that basically no one else in Delta knows about this. When I asked why I wasn't notified of this in advance, the agent I spoke to said repeatedly "it will be in the next Skymiles newsletter". The worst part is that you have to stand in 2 lines, the second line took me about 45 minutes as there were at least 15 ahead of me in line and only one agent collecting this money. The time I would nornally spend in the lounge drinking coffee before the flight I was standing in line.

As I said, the manner in which they are doing this really stinks!! But unless they change their policy, they will not fly you home unless you pay, pay, pay!!
Old May 30, 02, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Well, at least there is now a sign. I was completely blind-sided by that tax. Credit card statement showed that I was billed just under $30.00. I also was inconvenienced by the two lines..no chance to relax, had to rush to gate (and that is a long long way from check in) and, of course, the moving sidewalk was out of order. Then, got the full security search and grope at the gate. Just added insult to injury. Advice: allow yourself more than 2 hrs if traveling BE..If on that 10:am flt out of LGW, plan on arriving at 7:30AM.
Old Jun 2, 02, 8:24 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlyingDoc:
[B]Honestly, I don't mind paying the taxes levied by the government;

Scary. Sounds like your eager to soon be paying 80 cents on the dollar Doc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: