FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Evil Feature on Delta.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/54327-evil-feature-delta-com.html)

Andy2 May 29, 02 12:08 pm

Evil Feature on Delta.com

Maybe everyone else has noticed this and it didn't bother them. When I wasn't logged on to Delta.com, I got a $119 price for a one-way SJC-SDF red-eye on their website. When I logged on, the price was $952. Naturally, I bought it while not logged on and had them manually enter my skymiles # over the phone. Incidentally, when I called them on the phone, the lowest price they found was $952.

When I looked closer, I discovered that the default pricing was "800 mile segment upgradeable fares" while I am logged on. I am a silver medallion. At the reservation page, prior to clicking the button for fares, I have to maually uncheck the "800 mile segment upgradeble fares" icon off in order to obtain the lowest fares. When I did this, the $119 fare appeared while I was logged on.

Unchecking the icon is easy to do (but hard to describe). The point I am trying to make is why should an airline make their preferred customers work to obtain the lowest fares? How many people accidentally buy a higher fare because they didn't know to unclick the icon? I think it is borderline unethical.

Far Siren May 29, 02 12:23 pm

I'm a medallion member, and I almost never buy an L or a U fare, so I really prefer the 800 SMU icon to be clicked by default. The best scenario would be delta.com showing both the LUser and upgradable fares on the same page.

goldmedallionflyer May 29, 02 1:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Andy2:
How many people accidentally buy a higher fare because they didn't know to unclick the icon? I think it is borderline unethical.</font>
Since you don't see the upgradable fares until you log in as a Medallion Elite member, I don't see this as unethical. A great many (most, maybe?) Medallions are shopping for that K fare so they can upgrade. It's not a lot of work to click the Lowest Fare option. And, quite simply, most medallions using the web site are at least minimally net-savvy.

Remember to always carefully read what you are submitting before clicking the mouse!

GMF

Flying Fan May 29, 02 1:57 pm

I would have to agree. I like the 800 segment box checked. I generally compare the fare to LUser fares and see whether or not it makes sense to pick the upgradable one. My current problem is that delta.com does NOT recognize me as a Medallion member b/c my SkyMiles number is enrolled under our corporate discount plan. Apparently this is a glitch in the system that they have been working on for the past month.

Spiff May 29, 02 2:28 pm

I was unaware there was a SJC-SDF redeye. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif (or any redeyes into SDF)

RobertS975 May 29, 02 2:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DeltaNYC:
I'm a medallion member, and I almost never buy an L or a U fare, so I really prefer the 800 SMU icon to be clicked by default. The best scenario would be delta.com showing both the LUser and upgradable fares on the same page.</font>
Great point, Delta, NYC. In general, the decision to buy a L/U fare vs upgradeable depends on the stage length of the flight and the difference in the fares. That choice of fares should be presented up front, and I am saying this as a PM who doesn't really have to gamble on an upgrade the way a GM or FO does.

Keypads May 30, 02 6:27 am

I would certainly agree that showing both is preferable. However showing the upgradeable by default is hardly unethical and in no way evil.

When was the last time you walked through a model home with no upgrades or test drove a car without all of the bells and whistles? Even McDonalds greets you by asking if you want a value meal, not the .99 specials.

The point is that Delta wants to show you what you could have for a little (questionable I know!) more, not what you can get for the least money.

Andy2 May 30, 02 7:00 am

Good point, Spiff. In connects through ATL.

The posters must get more use out of the 800 mile segment upgrades than I do. I wish I could give them away. Even on a non L or U fare, I never get upgraded.

I suppose I am spoiled by flying Southwest. I don't like to feel I am being tricked into paying a higher fare.

knit-in May 30, 02 7:32 am

I preferred how it used to be. One could select "800-mile upgrade" fare from amongst the drop down menu which included the "restricted fares" option. Now that I am not a medallion level member anymore, but still have more than a few 800 MSUs, I find it hard to book "k" fares and above, since the site doesn't offer that option (default or otherwise) to non-medallions anymore. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
(the only option is to select "unrestricted", which leads to the highly priced "Y" fares)

whynotniwot May 31, 02 10:55 am

Flying Fan,

I have the same problem as you do with my skymiles number being tied to our corporate discount. Have you been able to get credit for the 1000 miles you miss by not booking on delta.com? I am about ready to write to delta requesting credit for the upgradable fare that I had to book over the phone instead.

Seat1A Jun 2, 02 12:54 pm

i won't be happy until the website lets me select fare type by segment.

maybe i want to upgrade the sunday afternoon 757 outbound, and have no interest at all in upgrading the tuesday night 767 on the way back. (if i can get 10C with 10D empty, they'd have to pay me to move up to F on the 767.)

i've taken to reserving my trips to atlanta 13 days out, so the web site will "force" me into K for the outbound leg. (i can also book them as one-way tickets, but that doubles the penalty if the trip gets rescheduled.)

PMD Jun 2, 02 1:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whynotniwot:
Flying Fan,

I have the same problem as you do with my skymiles number being tied to our corporate discount. Have you been able to get credit for the 1000 miles you miss by not booking on delta.com? I am about ready to write to delta requesting credit for the upgradable fare that I had to book over the phone instead.
</font>
I am in the same boat. I received an email form Delta Customer Care that states I can call Web Support and get online rate, corporate discount and 1000 miles bonus.

RSSrsvp Jun 2, 02 3:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DeltaNYC:
The best scenario would be delta.com showing both the LUser and upgradable fares on the same page.</font>
I also agree that this would be the best solution. They could program the website to give both sets of prices when you login with your Skymiles number and it indicates you have Medallion status. Hopefully a DL lurker will pickup on DeltaNYC's great suggestion and submit it to the web support department.

RobertS975 Jun 2, 02 3:48 pm

There was an entire thread dealing with our website wishlist a few months back, and not much has changed. As a PM, the new change which allows me to view upgrade availability prior to purchase is great, but only if I am travelling alone. If the wife ius coming via a NAMU, I still need to go through SMS, as I would not not wish to purchase for me and then find out that I could not upgrade her with a NAMU. So in short, I haven't seen any response to that excellent wishlist thread of several months ago.