Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great USAToday Article on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2002, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
But Andy, it took you an extra two hours of travel in each direction. You could have sat on a AA MRTC nonstop. The service in FC on a BOS-CVG flight is no big deal in terms of the meal, and if you had flown on a nonstop, you would not have needed the CRC to cool your heals. And you would have never chanced a missed connection.

I am not criticizing you... I probably would have done just as you did, but let us all recognize that when it comes to these FF programs, THE TAIL WAGS THE DOG!
Old Apr 28, 2002, 6:49 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Robert, my entire point is that the elite arrangement was win-win. Despite more convenient options, I felt better off with DL, and DL found itself with a lot of valuable full-fare business.

I was mostly countering the above post that discounted the value of the double miles "FEATURE."
Old Apr 28, 2002, 8:26 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
I was mostly countering the above post that discounted the value of the double miles "FEATURE."</font>
It's only a feature if it gets you past the PM threshold. I don't think you'd disagree. If it gets a would-have-been-GM all the way up to 90K it still doesn't get them any SWUs.

Like I said, Silver Plus.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 9:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CKDGM:
Double miles...as you sit in the back on your LUser fare, or your un-upgraded day of flight M fare internationally. Or if you're lucky you can use a NAMU for something other than a bookmark.</font>
As opposed to your Southwest one-class 737, or your ratty AirTran DC9. And of course, JetBlue flies those international routes that you paid an M fare for? Sorry amigo, I'm the first one to criticize Delta when they do something bad, but this is one area where they are ahead of the pack.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
The double miles "FEATURE" gave me 39K extra base miles in 2001 and has given me 18K extra base miles in 2002. Thanks to this "FEATURE," I will enjoy PM from August 2001 until (at least) February, 2004.
</font>
Andy - how did the promo get you through 2/04 as opposed to 2/03?
Old Apr 28, 2002, 12:14 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
As opposed to your Southwest one-class 737, or your ratty AirTran DC9. And of course, JetBlue flies those international routes that you paid an M fare for?</font>
Compared to the low fare airlines, sure. The mileage program makes it more reasonable for routes like, say, BOS-ATL.

And I don't even mind not being able to upgrade some of the fire sale fares like that BOS-NRT mileage run I made last year for under $600.

But like other fliers here, I simply won't book an M fare internationally if there isn't upgrade inventory when I book it; once I drop back to GM and can't use my PMUs, I probably won't even do that more than once a year (burning mileage instead). So that's a few bucks from each of us that they don't get, because of their changes to SkyMiles.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Sorry amigo, I'm the first one to criticize Delta when they do something bad, but this is one area where they are ahead of the pack.</font>
Yeah, they beat CO to the punch from what I'm hearing about the HoKeY fares issue over there...but as I understand it, there's a way to "pay the extra" when you get the upgrade, not "book it and spin the wheel" like with DL. Though I'm sure they have their problems, and I'm sure so do the programs over at AA, UA, NW....

The heart of it is that short term promos for double miles or cheaper awards are not "features" of a program. They are strictly limited in scope.

"Features" are (or in far too many cases were) things like: get a complimentary round trip upgrade for every 20K you fly while Medallion, get segment upgrades you can use on any domestic fare, or get discounted or even complimentary Crown Room access.

Unfortunately Delta's actions lately make me look at the above and wonder if they're thinking "Two down, one to go."

Delta does a lot right. They have some of the greatest front-line folks I've seen (even though I haven't met Russ yet ), they have great technology (web site, GIDS, VCI with the Medallion cards), and they post miles so fast it makes my head spin.

But you tell me what the last permanent (not a short-term deal like the double miles deals or the Medallion extension due to OH strike) change to the FF program was that was not a removal or devaluation of something that we used to have. Please do.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 4:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
As opposed to your Southwest one-class 737, or your ratty AirTran DC9.</font>
That's a pretty tasteless attack on Airtran there. Have you actually flown Airtran?? Though some of their DC9's are old, they're no more ratty or uncomfortable than some of DL's planes. In fact, those ratty DC'9's probably have more legroom than a lot of DL's planes. Not that it will matter much longer, Airtran's fleet will be entirely converted to new 717's by the beginning of 2004.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 7:03 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by runningshoes:
Andy - how did the promo get you through 2/04 as opposed to 2/03?</font>
Oops, wishful thinking. I'll edit my post properly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.