Wiki Posts
Search

VUSA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2002, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

VUSA tickets

My relatives are coming from India for tourism in april. and they will be flying via Singapore airlines. Does DELTA offer discounted VUSA ( visit usa ) tickets for singapore airlines travellers?
Old Mar 28, 2002, 1:48 pm

Delta does offer a Visit USA fare for passengers whose international flight is on another airline.

The tickets must be purchased before arrival in the North American region. These tickets are not sold in the US, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Cananda, Mexico, international points in the Caribbean and Japan.

Additional tickets or coupons cannot be issued after the passenger has arrived into the US.

Visit USA tickets must be issued separately from the international tickets. The international ticket is referenced on the Visit USA ticket. One Visit USA ticket per passenger per international trip.

Ticket can be purchased at a City Ticket Office or Travel Agency.

Old Mar 28, 2002, 2:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DeltaAgent:
Ticket can be purchased at a City Ticket Office or Travel Agency.
</font>
Just a tip about using Delta's BOM CTO - DON'T! Those agents are some of the dumbest ones I have ever come across.

Some classic lines include "Let me check if we fly to Atlanta", "What is this Medallion thing you speak of?" and (after producing my Skymiles card) "Oh, we don't accept that kind of card here".

Find a travel agent who can handle your ticketing work, but stay away from the BOM CTO if you value your sanity.
Old Mar 28, 2002, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

They are coming via Singapore Airlines from BOMBAY and are using a travel agent in Bombay. would VUSA tickets be costlier since they are coming to US vis SIN airlines and not DELTA. Ihave heard VUSA tix are cheaper if u fly to US via parent airline ( in this case DELTA )?

also let says they want to cover NIAGRA FALLS, NYC , WASHINGTON ..they would be living with me in Los Angeles ? so the trip would be LA - BUFFALO-NYC-WASHINGTON - LA . Is this 3 segments or 4 segments?
Old Mar 29, 2002, 4:46 pm
Original Member

This could get confusing. I think DL offers a couple of different products for international visitors. There are Visit USA fares which are for individual flights and can be good deals because (back then) you didn't have to pay tax on them. Then, there is the Discover America (may have the name slightly wrong here) which is a coupon based program. 1 coupon = 1 flight (direct or nonstop)). DL used to offer a cheaper rate for UK-based pssengers on these fares who flew DL, SR, SN, OS, BA or VS across the pond. That's probably changed to just SkyTeam airlines. However, check w DL because SQ and DL have been partners for years (yes, they no longer code-share) but they may still have a deal with each other for this type of thing. Good luck!!

Old Mar 29, 2002, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leroy...WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???
Old Mar 30, 2002, 1:28 am
Original Member

Hello hfly! You'll be very proud of me, but am now a UA PremEx - partly because I was fed up of DL, but mostly because of UA's route system and partners (am travelling a lot to Australia / NZ)

However, still have a lot of DL miles to use so regularly check the DL boards as well!

Back to the topic at hand - does anyone remember the standby passes that DL used to offer to intl pax? You used to be able to travel unlimited flight standby for x amount of days? Pretty good deal - wonder if they were mileage-earning?
Old Apr 2, 2002, 12:30 am
TD

I was a big fan of the standby pass during the late '80s-early '90s when I was a student, and had used it several times.

As far as I can recall, it was $400-$500 for 30 consecutive days of unlimited travel within the 48 States and was also valid on Delta Connection flights.
It was maybe because of the state of US economy at that time, but out of 200+ segments I took using the pass, I was able to clear on every flight with a single exception of ATL-DAB on Spring vation time.

As a result, it was a much better product for me than "fixed" coupon fares, considering the flexibility and the cost-performance (something like $10-$20/segment). Quite a few times, I got on the Eastbound red-eye transcon from the West, returning right back to the West on the morning flight just to save on the accomodation (although I wouldn't do it now even if I was paid to do that).

To my knowledge, DL was the only major American carrier that was offering this kind of deal to foreigners at that time, though they scrapped it sometime in mid-90s.

Unfortunately(or naturally), they didn't accure any mileage credit.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 2:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leroy11:
Back to the topic at hand - does anyone remember the standby passes that DL used to offer to intl pax? You used to be able to travel unlimited flight standby for x amount of days? Pretty good deal - wonder if they were mileage-earning?
</font>
Me too Fondly remember Those be gone !!!!
Old Apr 2, 2002, 2:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Just a tip about using Delta's BOM CTO - DON'T! Those agents are some of the dumbest ones I have ever come across.
</font>
Awah !!! They are not that bad Maybe the cute one took her break just as you dropped in.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 2:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by debo_nair:
They are coming via Singapore Airlines from BOMBAY and are using a travel agent in Bombay. would VUSA tickets be costlier since they are coming to US vis SIN airlines and not DELTA. Ihave heard VUSA tix are cheaper if u fly to US via parent airline ( in this case DELTA )?

also let says they want to cover NIAGRA FALLS, NYC , WASHINGTON ..they would be living with me in Los Angeles ? so the trip would be LA - BUFFALO-NYC-WASHINGTON - LA . Is this 3 segments or 4 segments?
</font>
Delta does not fly to Buffalo directly from LA, so it would be ATL or CVG. Similarly from BUF, to LGA/JFK is not a non-stop/direct flight.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 5:27 pm
Original Member

You may want to consider UA since they may offer cheaper VUSA / Discover America rates to passengers arriving on *A airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.