Old Mar 13, 2002, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Companion flies free to HAWAII !

Has anyone booked or tried the companion flies free to hawaii offer on
www.deltavacations.com
Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by debo_nair:
Has anyone booked or tried the companion flies free to hawaii offer on
www.deltavacations.com
</font>

It is crap I think. They stick it to you on double hotel charges. To take a flight to Maui, with two people, for 6 days and stay in 1 hotel room at Westin, with no car rental will cost $3,600.00 If the hotel room is 400 a night, probably less, it had no view, that is like $2,000.00 The ticket would have been from FLL, so in coach they can go as low as $600.00 a person. So let's say $850 for one to play it safe. At the most, it would cost $2,850 with one, or if you add another person, comes to $3,700. A $100 break, does not seem like free airfare to me. If I am going to Hawaii, I am using miles and flying comfortably. $3,600 to sit in coach for 13 + hours, no way. No deal, no way. Delta Vacations is bogus.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:47 pm

debo_nair,

my parents just booked a trip through this promotion last week. They had been planning a trip to Hawaii and had priced out an itinerary on their own (they were looking at $600 AA airfare on Orbitz), when our AAA travel agent alerted them to this promotion. The package saved them about 1-2k, even after they paid for additional upgrades (e.g. oceanview rooms and a larger rental car). A couple things to be aware of -- some of the hotels are under construction, so call and check directly with the properties to avoid surprises, the free companion does not receive skymiles, and I believe this promotion ends March 15th. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 9:57 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
I've been looking at this too. I don't think I'll partake, not beacause of the prices as much as we like 'unstructured' trips. It does compare pretty well to some other HI options I've been presented so I vote that it worthy of a look-see. Can't speak to the other Delta Vacations but this one's not 'crap', IMHO.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:33 am

The companion fares may not be that great, but if you book First Class tickets through Delta Vacations you will be able to save almost half off the list price and get a hotel thrown in at no cost!

Old Mar 14, 2002, 5:51 am

It looks like the valid classes of service are only: U, L, K, and Q in Bulk or Published airfares for this offer.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I called up Delta and they gave me a quote
of $1169 for 1) off beach hotel 2) compact car 3) 3 nights april 12 - 15...and the flights are redeye flights...I think this is ripoff ..really bad deal...i am finding much better deals elsewhere on the net...
Delta is just fooling around looking for gullible persons.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:56 am

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
I found less than $1K for different dates. You can usually beat 'package deals' for travel ... but for someone not wanting to do the extra work, have multiple points of contact this seems to be quick, easy, and not too overpriced. I wouldn't call a purchaser gullable ... just willing to pay a little (okay, maybe in some cases a lot) extra for the added convenience.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Y'all need to go to Hawaii the way I do, CHEAPLY! :-)

I book the cheapest trips I can (in coach) and pray for a bumpor upgrade. I try for every free mile I can get too, even if it means driving to BHM from ATL to save a couple hundred dollars.

On Delta I now have 230,000 miles and someday I may actually USE some of the miles for my next trip.

Hotels? TripReport readers may remember that one trip I actually slept on a bench in HNL :-)

I keep telling everyone at the office how cheaply you can go to the islands and still live well. Althought travel agents and vacation packages may be cheap for some, here is approximately what I usually pay:

$350 r/t ATL to HNL
$100 or less per room at nice hotels or B&B's
$20-30 a day for a car
$5 a day parking
$55 per island hop

I love telling people that over Thanksgiving I went to Hawaii for 4 or 5 days. I had just been twice in November, but what the heck. With the double miles promotion in full swing and my GM status, that $330 spent for the airfare got me a free trip worth of miles! How could I afford NOT to go? :-)

Since this is getting way off the original question, I'll stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.