Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best (flattest) seating for international?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:30 am
Used to be "PortalGuy"

Programs: BEA, Piedmont, ValuJet, Braniff, People Express, JetsGo, Capitol, TWA, Eastern, Allegheny, Ozark
Finnair is dead flat in J class !!!

http://www.flatseats.com/
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I strongly recommend staying AWAY from the AF "lie flat at an angle" business seats (and probably any others of the same ilk). On AF, while you're "flat", you're at a pretty steep angle and you're always sliding down. Further the seat has two so-called "flat" positions, neither of which is truely flat OR comfortable. Other than that, AF NTC is very nice.

For sleeping, I much prefer Delta's BusinessElite, except I wish the leg rest came up a bit more (I sleep on my side, and my knees don't bend sideways, so I always end up with sore knees).
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Steve,

Others have replied to the meaning of my criptic acronyms Since you have a long time before the flight, you may want to try to grab some first class seats on Singapore Airlines First class (SQ F ). Arguably one of if not the best first class service in the air. I am not sure, but I think you can only go to Frankfurt with it and need to connect in New York to do so.

If you want to have an idea about the first class service and seats on SQ F on the 747 they use from JFK to Frankfurt, there is a nice trip report on airliners.net. Scroll down to the middle to see the seats on the 747 (the ones at the top of the report are on 777 and not as nice.
The author did not put a picture when the seats are put in the bed position, but believe me, they do get to be a pretty good bed. And SQ will make the bed and provide you with a pyjama, yours to keep.

Now the catch is that it is VERY difficult to obtain 2 F seats using miles (particularly DL miles). But you may get lucky if you have a lot of flexibility in your choice of dates.
I was able to snatch 2 F seats from US to SE Asia in 2000 going through the pacific, and 2 F seats in 2002 going through Frankfurt for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary. After that, it became close to impossible to get 2 seats in First class using miles, but again, give it a try and if you do snatch the seats, I can guarantee you will be happy you used 100k miles for each ticket rather than 90k on Delta or AF or even worse, 100k (the same amount) for CO's business class.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Hi, I enjoyed the article on Singapore Air. Sure does seem like a great way to fly (in their first class). Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find a way to get two FC tix on SQ. Even thru next March, the most we have been able to find is one FC and one BC (and even that one involved flying to NYC LGA then going from LGA to Kennedy via shuttle, then flying to Frankfurt and then trying to figure out how to get to our final destination...). It seems a little crazy that there is only one ticket available. My wife was the one trying to make the reservations and ended up so frustrated that she is now talking about just doing some domestic travel (for which traveling first class makes little or no sense to me).

How is Austrian Air? Did I just read a topic saying that Delta will code share with them? Any other suggestions, or should I just go with Delta (sigh).

Thanks again!

-Steve O.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PortalGuy
Finnair is dead flat in J class !!!

http://www.flatseats.com/

Hi, Thanks for the link. Do you know if Finnair is a code share partner with Delta for Award Travel?

Thanks,

Steve O.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.