Need credit card recommendation please

Old Feb 6, 02, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Need credit card recommendation please

Last fall I called to change my existing AMEX Options card to a Platinum card (in anticipation of trying to earn the 10000 ase miles)and AMEX complied, cancelling the options card. When the Platinum card arrived I read the rules to say the miles would be posted 6 to 8 weeks after my renewal date of November 14. This means I would never know which calendar year the base miles would fall into.

Upon contacting AMEX, I was told there was no way to change the renewal date and my only option was to cancel this card and apply later; which I did. Now AMEX says I can't have two cards and will not issue another, and I am aggravated to the point where that is fine with me.

The question is, is there another credit card which has miles which can transfer to Delta?
Old Feb 6, 02, 11:02 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Harpo:
The question is, is there another credit card which has miles which can transfer to Delta?</font>
Diners Club. And with Diners, you can transfer to UA and AA (and most others), unlike with Amex Membership Rewards. Other benefits with Diners include:

-12,000 bonus miles in year one (1K per month for each of first 12 months, so long as you charge that month).

-Two months to pay. This is huge if you rack up big charges. You get an extra month before you have to pay anything. Makes a big difference with some interest growth.

-20% off at some restaurants. The rebate shows up as a credit to your statement. Nearly identical restaurant list to those who offer 10X miles.

-Primary Rental Car collission insurance. I don't think anyone else matches this (not primary, at least).

-Occasionally, there are point transfer bonuses. For example, these allow you to get 1.2 AA miles per Diner point or 1.25 CO miles per point. I think they did 2 to 1 with BA for awhile. (In truth, Diners gives you 2 points per dollar spent, but then re-adjusts when you convert back, so you turn in 2 points for a mile... in the end it is a wash, except when they have these nice bonuses).

-Free entry into some airport lounges. (Mostly international, plus the NW lounge at EWR)

All of the above add up to make the ~$80 fee very worthwhile! I just got my year end summary this week and noted what a great value the card was.

Of course, I also carry the DL Platinum Amex, which I am sure to use for all DL purchases (and cell phone, post office, supermarket, etc) as well as for all purchases until I hit the 25K threshold for 10K base mile bonus. Luckily, I charge enough (mostly reimbursables for work, thank goodness) to make both cards worthwhile, in addition to the Starwood Amex, which I use solely for Starwood stays.

If you care to enroll for Diners, kindly consider using me as a referral, as I'll get a 3K mile bonus. Click here and enter referral code SZXQ1134. Let me know if you do this, so I can keep track of expected miles

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 02-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 02-06-2002).]
Old Feb 7, 02, 7:09 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Harpo, 10,000 base miles are still base miles no matter what year they are posted in. After the first year, you will know how they are posted which will help you plan future travel. The double miles given by this card are exceptional. I think that you have made a hasty decision, as I would never have cancelled my card for that reason. Perhaps you should call back AMEX and ask for a supervisor to review your situation. By the way, the restrictions on the free year-end companion ticket have eased and also have a greater value.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane:
Either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do."

Henry Kissinger</font>
[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 02-07-2002).]
Old Feb 7, 02, 9:20 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I have to agree with Rssrsvp's point. Those 10k annual base points are a nice bennie. I charge right up to $25k each year just to get those 10k points. Then I use the DL AMEX card only for gas, food, etc. where I can get the double miles. Then I revert back to my AMEX PL card so I can try really hard to get noticed for a Centurion card There are also pretty good bonus programs that have been offered with the DL AMEX card, the double points for all purchases late last year was sweet. A lot of folks bought savings bonds during that promo period. Now there's a special for triple miles when purchasing DL airline tickets. I believe it expires on 2/28.
Old Feb 7, 02, 9:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
...After the first year, you will know how they are posted which will help you plan future travel...
</font>
Actually, Harpo has a valid point. My bonuses posted in 12/1999, 12/2000 and then not until 1/2002 - which actually worked out well for me, but would have been very disappointing if I'd have been counting on them for 2001/2002 status.
Old Feb 7, 02, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phoenixitc:
I have to agree with Rssrsvp's point. Those 10k annual base points are a nice bennie. I charge right up to $25k each year just to get those 10k points. Then I use the DL AMEX card only for gas, food, etc. where I can get the double miles. </font>
I also do the above. I make sure to take advantage of any of the promos DL AMEX puts on. I have been pleased with the card for several years.
Old Feb 8, 02, 5:34 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
If you are considering a DL Amex Platinum card, and want to definitely know what year the 10,000 bonus elite miles will fall into, just don't signup for the card in the last 2 months of any calendar year. But, if you do signup during those last 2 months, and the 10,000 miles get posted in January, at the very least you know how many more miles are needed to obtain FO, GM or PM status for that year.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 02-08-2002).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: