Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLC closure on Feb 8th

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2002, 8:28 am
Original Poster

SLC closure on Feb 8th

It has been reported in the media that the airspace in SLC will be closed for the opening cerimonies of the Olympics.

I need to fly in that morning, will this be feasible? Any links or contact people would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old Jan 28, 2002, 8:59 am

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by megadoo1:
It has been reported in the media that the airspace in SLC will be closed for the opening cerimonies of the Olympics.

I need to fly in that morning, will this be feasible? Any links or contact people would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike
</font>
You will be fine if you are flying in in the morning. The airspace is closed between 6.00pm and 10.00pm on February 8 for the opening ceremonies and on February 23rd (I think) at the same time for the closing ceremonies.

The only other problem you might encounter is a ground stop, if you happen to be coming into SLC at the same times as George W. or Cheney or Kofi Anan or someone like that.

I know they groundstop for the president and vice president for around an hour. As for the other dignitaries - I'm not so sure.

Good luck - my boyfriend (who will have been gone 14 days at that point) was supposed to come home at 6.45pm on Feb 8. Now, he won't be home until 6.45pm on Feb 9
Old Jan 28, 2002, 9:42 am
Gui

As reported by lele ..you should be just fine to come in to SLC on the 8th in the morning and early afternoon. I believe it was reported that there is to be no air traffic from 6-10 p.m for something like 100 mile radius of SLC..during both opening and closing ceremonies. Suffice it to say the airport should be a zoo when you arrive on the 8th.

Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:31 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Call Delta and have them reaccomodate you on other flights... as far as I know, agents are authorized to grant this without any penalties...
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:32 am

As an above poster mentioned, the President should be arriving on the 8th as well; but I can't imagine he will be in SLC all day, or arriving early in the morning for that matter.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 1:55 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I was scheduled to arrive around 9pm, during the Opening ceremonies. My flight was pushed back a few hours. Of course, my BOS-JFK connection was not touched, but I had them do this myself. Similar to the thread about "cleaning up itineraries to save seat selection," I only noticed the issue when I looked at my itineraries at delta.com. No phone call, email, etc.

I think, however, I will change my trip to early in the day. I can't stand the idea of arriving there at 11pm when all flights are permitted back in.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 5:52 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Oh joy... I have to fly thru SLC on the 9th. I hope I don't encounter the president leaving and miss my connection.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 6:05 pm

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cigarman:
Oh joy... I have to fly thru SLC on the 9th. I hope I don't encounter the president leaving and miss my connection.</font>
Cigarman - from what I have heard about you, they wouldn't dare delay you
Old Jan 29, 2002, 7:00 am

Just hope that the President doesn't decide to get a haircut!
Old Jan 29, 2002, 11:49 pm

I once had to circle the airport for 90 min while cigarman reportedly got a haircut on the runway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.