Speak up when you can help!!!

Old Feb 25, 06, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL MM, BA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Angry Speak up when you can help!!!

Was at CAE (Columbia, SC) and a military type (Army I assume) was checking in before me ( I let him go in front of me from the Y line because I was in the Medallion line and had plenty of time). In the speak with the agent, I heard he was in-active military had a ticket on DL connecting with AA....military vouchers of some sort.....but after weighing the bags, one of the bags was 53 pounds (3 pounds over) while his other bag was 27 pounds. Total of 80 pounds. Instead of the agent saying please put 3 pounds from the heavier bag into the lighter bag, she said "You are overweight." It will cost you $25 dollars. The kid looked young and didn't seem like he travelled much.

The service guy whipped out the cash.

I was standing in line and almost pooed/soiled myself. I then accidently dropped something and muffled to the guy he should move 3 pounds to the other bag. He looked at me and seemed to say "Can I do that
?" I nodded yes. He asked the check-in agent and she asked him to move to the side.

Please, if you ever see someone you can give some advice to to make their life easier when travelling....please do so.

I have been flying in/out of CAE a lot the last 4 months and am going to take it up with the station manager if the board deems it unfair agents try to swindle their customers this way.

Am I out of line?

Last edited by ThroughATL2Much; Feb 26, 06 at 7:54 am Reason: Typo and bolding
Old Feb 25, 06, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by ThroughATL2Much
Was at CAE (Columbia, SC) and a military type (Army I assume) was checking in before me ( I let him go in front of me from the Y line because I was in the Medallion line and had plenty of time). In the speak with the agent, I heard he was in-active military- had a ticket on DL connecting with AA....military vouchers of some sort.....but after weighing the bags, one of the bags was 53 pounds (3 pounds over) while his other bag was 27 pounds. Total of 80 pounds. Instead of the agent saying please put 3 pounds from the heavier bag into the lighter bag, she said "You are overweight." It will cost you $25 dollars. The kid looked young and didn't seem like he travelled much.

The service guy whipped out the cash.

I was standing in line and almost pooed/soiled myself. I then accidently dropped something and muffled to the guy he should move 3 pounds to the other bad. He looked at me and seemed to say "Can I do that
?" I nodded yes. He asked the check-in agent and she asked him to move to the side.

Please, if you ever see someone you can give some advice to to make their life easier when travelling....please do so.

I have been flying in/out of CAE a lot the last 4 months and am going to take it up with the station manager if the board deems it unfair agents try to swindle their customers this way.

Am I out of line?
DEFINITELY bring it up with the station manager!!!!!!!
Old Feb 25, 06, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam

So much of whether or not I offer help is attitude of the helpee.

If it is just plain ignorance and the person is still being polite, I will help.
Old Feb 25, 06, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Too fat???

Originally Posted by underpressure
So much of whether or not I offer help is attitude of the helpee.

If it is just plain ignorance and the person is still being polite, I will help.

True. I agree. If the "over-weight guy" (just trying to poke fun here...his body fat was 100th of mine) was obnoxious or rude, then I would have not helped. He seemed to be 22 years old and not well travelled. The agent seemed to not really care and said "$25 for the overweight fee" and the gentleman whipped the cash out for the fee assuming there was no way around it. I only noticed because I happened to look at the scale when he placed each bag on the scale. I was paranoid they would not transport me because of all the weight I have gained in the past year.

While standing in line, AA said they were over-weight and not transporting 4 passengers due to weight restrictions. What was I supposed to think?

Old Feb 25, 06, 10:00 pm

I thought that I had read somewhere that in-uniform Military, traveling on Military Vouchers, and with Military Orders are exempt from Overweight fees, or that the overweight fees are attached to the Military Vouchers. So he should not have had to do any of the weight shuffle, nor pulled out his wallet.

I may be wrong, but . . . that Gate Agent needs to be sent to Boot Camp.
Old Feb 25, 06, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by mapsmith
I thought that I had read somewhere that in-uniform Military, traveling on Military Vouchers, and with Military Orders are exempt from Overweight fees, or that the overweight fees are attached to the Military Vouchers. So he should not have had to do any of the weight shuffle, nor pulled out his wallet.
I thought I heard that too, but I ransacked delta.com and couldn't find any such reference. For that matter, it appears that 50 pounds applies even to First Class and Medallions, with only the exception for tickets purchased in Japan and Brazil!

DD
Old Feb 26, 06, 1:26 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
THis is such a sad story. When I think about what our service women and men do for us, I can't imagine not doing anything that would make their life a little easier. For that young man, $25 was probably a lot of money. Good for you for helping. Please discuss this with the station manager. If the agent really does not know how to make helpful suggestions to young, inexperienced travellers, especially service people, then some education is needed. If the agent was having attitude problems or trying to make some kind of point then he/she should be ashamed.
Old Feb 26, 06, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold

Am I out of line?
Bring this up with the Station Manager:
DoD Travel site link

Delta Airlines: Delta Airlines accepts a maximum of two checked baggage items, up to 50 pounds each and a maximum total linear dimension of 62 inches free of charge for each ticketed passenger. In addition, one carry-on bag, plus one personal item may be brought on board. Luggage weighing between 51 and 70 pounds will be charged an excess baggage fee of $25 per piece. Luggage weighing between 71 and 100 pounds will be charged an excess baggage fee of $80 per piece. Items over 100 pounds will not be accepted.

Delta Airlines has agreed to waive the weight limit and fees for military members, which include active duty, Guard, Reserve, and Coast Guard members, traveling on official orders. The waiver allows two checked pieces of military style luggage up to 70 pounds each. Military style luggage includes military issue duffel bags, B-4 bags, and Navy sea bags. All other bags will be subject to the current weight limits and fees. The military member must present his or her ID card and military orders upon request. This waiver does not apply to DoD civilians conducting official travel or military members and their families conducting leisure travel. Delta Airlines has posted waiver information on their reservation system under "G*853/36 with the military exceptions beginning on line 35.

If he was hauling his stuff in military style bags with orders, his limit was 70 lbs per bag. Every Delta TA/GA in cities with large military bases should be familiar with this. Most US domestic carriers have similar rules.

Last edited by SlowTrekker; Feb 26, 06 at 7:31 am
Old Feb 26, 06, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
SlowTrekker, thanks for that post.

IMHO, the bottom line is that anytime I hear any agent trying to take advantage of and/or giving misinformation to an unseasoned traveler, I will add my two cents.
Old Feb 26, 06, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp

IMHO, the bottom line is that anytime I hear any agent trying to take advantage of and/or giving misinformation to an unseasoned traveler, I will add my two cents.
Sounds like a deal! We should all be doing that, just as I would want someone to do something like that for me (help me, I mean - not take advantage of me).
Old Feb 26, 06, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Hope it gets passed along. I used to fly a lot of G fares back in the day, and learned the hard way to pick up on the rules of the game as fast as possible.

I learned of the existence of CRC/AC/PC type lounges by travelling in uniform and getting invited in as a guest of FF's who were veterans. I now try to return the favor whenever I can, even when they're wearing the "wrong" color uniform.
Old Feb 26, 06, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

SlowTrekker,

Thank you for giving all of us the details.

For clarification, he was in-active but that does not change the point. The DL agent said his bags were over-weight. She didn't say one bag was over-weight nor did she suggest to move 3 pounds from one bag so she didn't have to charge you more. Every Delta agent should suggest options to all customer active-military or not.

The same reasoning applies in this situation:

Was in McDonald's buying breakfast....I love sausage biscuits......but I digress. In front of me is a gentleman maybe 65 or 70 years old. He asks for a sausage biscuit, hashbrown and small coffee. The cashier says that will be $4.20. Everybody who goes to McDonald's knows the #1 combo costs like $3.00 max. Because of the way the gentleman ordered (he didn't ask for the combo but asked for the individual items) the cashier rang up each item individually. I was like WHAT!!!!!! We got into a shouting match after the cashier told me to mind my own business.

For Delta, McDonald's and any other company - whether company policy or personal ignorance, actions from employees like this are intolerable in my book.
Old Feb 26, 06, 3:41 pm

SlowTrekker,

Thank you for giving all of us the details.

For clarification, he was in-active but that does not change the point. The DL agent said his bags were over-weight. She didn't say one bag was over-weight nor did she suggest to move 3 pounds from one bag so she didn't have to charge you more. Every Delta agent should suggest options to all customer active-military or not.

The same reasoning applies in this situation:

Was in McDonald's buying breakfast....I love sausage biscuits......but I digress. In front of me is a gentleman maybe 65 or 70 years old. He asks for a sausage biscuit, hashbrown and small coffee. The cashier says that will be $4.20. Everybody who goes to McDonald's knows the #1 combo costs like $3.00 max. Because of the way the gentleman ordered (he didn't ask for the combo but asked for the individual items) the cashier rang up each item individually. I was like WHAT!!!!!! We got into a shouting match after the cashier told me to mind my own business.

For Delta, McDonald's and any other company - whether company policy or personal ignorance, actions from employees like this are intolerable in my book.
Totally agree with your points, and sorry if I hijacked the thread.
Old Feb 26, 06, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I missed the hyphen in in-active. I read it incorrectly as in active service. I wouldn't say anything to the station manager, but I still think you make a good point that we shouldn't pass up the oportunity to be helpful when someone doesn't seem to "know the ropes," whether at the airport or McDonalds.
Old Feb 26, 06, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
Hope it gets passed along. I used to fly a lot of G fares back in the day, and learned the hard way to pick up on the rules of the game as fast as possible.
hehe, as I was a bureaucrat during my stint in the Israeli Army, I also learned very quickly the value of knowing the rules. (knowing how far you can take thing w/out actually breaking the rules, knowing what is worth getting away with, knowing how to manipulate the system).
obviously when travelling these things are worth knowing, like what the airline is required to do in such case as as involantary re-route & such....

P.S. love your sig SlowTrekker, I absolutely LOVE that movie!

Search this Thread