Speak up when you can help!!!

Old Feb 26, 06, 4:31 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel, Hilton Diamond & a few other lower levls here and there
Like when refils are free and the person inline orders a large drink... I usually don't say anything and just laugh to myself - for who knows, maybe they want a large cup to take with them....

But DL should know better then this... it is all a part of the simple fares I guess... simple is as simple does...
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sushibear
I missed the hyphen in in-active. I read it incorrectly as in active service.
My fault for not asking for a clarification, I'm used to seeing "inactive" (sans hyphen) to mean "other than active service", and also misread the intent of the hyphen as you did. My own fault.

If someone has a bewildered/weary expression, I'm likely to offer suggestions. If they're snappy or rude with TA/GA/FA, I figure they'll treat my unsolicited advice the same way. What comes around..........

Last edited by SlowTrekker; Feb 26, 06 at 5:12 pm
Old Feb 26, 06, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Lehava
DEFINITELY bring it up with the station manager!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by mapsmith
I may be wrong, but . . . that Gate Agent needs to be sent to Boot Camp.
Originally Posted by sushibear
Good for you for helping. Please discuss this with the station manager.
Apparently there is an assumption that the gate agent was some sort of rogue employee bent on swindling this poor serviceman and that informing her boss would somehow teach her not to be such a btcih! What would she have to gain? $25??? Who is to say that the station manager would care one iota? Could it not be that the agents have been told "We are in bankruptcy! Take whatever money you can get. Don't volunteer advice to a passenger on how to save money".

I feel for the young man but I don't think it is fair to judge the gate agent so harshly. She might have been reprimanded prior to that for "giving away revenue". We don't know.
Old Feb 26, 06, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Evan!
I feel for the young man but I don't think it is fair to judge the gate agent so harshly. She might have been reprimanded prior to that for "giving away revenue". We don't know.
Speaking strictly for myself, I was assuming:
a) Customer was entitled to the military waiver
b) The TA in question worked at a military heavy station but did not know how to apply the military waiver.

As I've already stated my assumption "a" was wrong, assumption "b" is equally baseless.

If "a" and "b" were assumed true, informing the station manager would've been entirely appropriate. It wouldn't have to be a negative form of communication in any case.

Now that I've re-read the original version of the OP as quoted in post#2, I understand how I headed down this path, the extra hyphen changes perception.
Old Feb 26, 06, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL MM, BA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
That is my fault for using "in-active."

In defense of the agent she technically did nothing wrong. I am just flustered that a common courtesy/recommendation was not given to the person checking in be it active or inactive military, an elderly person or an over-weight 32-year-old frequent flyer.
Old Feb 26, 06, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by Evan!
Two wrongs don't make a right. Your fare rules (or in this case perhaps the fare arrangement with the military) constutitute part of a contract between the customer and the airline. Any attempt to collect funds not owed should be detected & corrected.

In that case I would say "no mercy". A gate agent extracting undeserved funds on behalf of an unscrupulous employer is no better than the unscrupulous employer.

Search this Thread