RANT: Flight delayed for connecting pax

Old Feb 22, 06, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Angry RANT: Flight delayed for connecting pax

Why does my departing flight get held for other "late arriving passengers," but the same courtesy is never extended to me. And who do I gripe to about it?

Saturday, 2/18, connecting from FRA in ATL to CLE. Flight is on time, which is great since I've had a 4 hour layover, and am tired/jetlagged. Get to gate, flatscreen says flight is being delayed to accomodate late connecting pax. It was a group of 25 vacationing pax returning from somewhere.

My beef is that DL has never done this for me, even when it is the last flight of the day or even if it is international. I have been stranded and had to pay my own hotel to take a flight out first thing the next morning. The worst was when I was connecting to a flight to FRA in ATL, arriving in ATL on one of those godawful ATRs. We landed in plenty of time but couldn't deplane because ASA misplaced the tailstand. Knowing I was at ATL to take the day's only flight to FRA, did they hold a few measly minutes for me? NO. I lost a whole business day and had to reschedule two days of appointments.

There's no consistency. Why help "them" but never me.

Old Feb 22, 06, 10:53 am

Programs: DL GM

I think the key here is the number 25. Delta doesn't want to have to handle the nightmare of re-booking them if they can just delay that departure for a few minutes. If it was one person, the plane would have left.
Old Feb 22, 06, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
I see a huge difference between holding for one and holding for a group of 25 (particularly if it was the CRJ segment to CLE, that would be 1/2 the plane). Not to mention logistically it is probably easier for Delta to hold for a short time and get them on the flight than try to get 25 people rebooked (on president's day weekend when schools are out).
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by JHattery
Why does my departing flight get held for other "late arriving passengers," but the same courtesy is never extended to me.
I am sure they see YOUR name on the list and purposely leave when they see you are coming and wait when they don't see YOUR name on this list of those that are coming. .

The bottom line is that they don't usually wait more than a couple of minutes and if they do they have their reasons for doing so. Whether YOU fall into one of the reasons to wait is largely random.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Lehava
I see a huge difference between holding for one and holding for a group of 25 (particularly if it was the CRJ segment to CLE, that would be 1/2 the plane). Not to mention logistically it is probably easier for Delta to hold for a short time and get them on the flight than try to get 25 people rebooked (on president's day weekend when schools are out).
Schools are out on President's Day?
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by indufan
Upstate NY at least all the schools are closed this week for their "winter break". Airport this morning was kid fest and old people.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:25 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Heh.....it happened to me back in 2004 when I was flying ORD-ATL-LGA.....with the ATL-LGA flight being the 2nd to the last of the day (8:30PM departure)

My departure from ORD was delayed due to weather and even though the GA tried to switch me over to a direct flight on another airline (she made a few calls...but it was Labor Day) and eventually "protected" me on the last flight from ATL-LGA, it looked very likely that I would be stranded in ATL overnight (something that has never happened to me at any airport......even to this date).

IIRC, my flight finally departed ORD with a scheduled arrival time in ATL of about 9PM.....which meant that I might get a seat on the "protected" flight.

However, ATC delayed my flight enroute by an additional 30 minutes and we finally got to the gate at 9:30PM.

As soon as I got off, I asked the agent meeting the plane about the status of the flight that I was "protected on"....and learned that it had just left.

However, the agent pointed across the walkway to an ATL-LGA flight that had been "held for connecting passengers"....and sure enough, it was my original 8:30PM flight (DL1736)!

To say that I was surprised to learn that its departure was initially delayed by 1 hour...and then shocked to see that it was being delayed an additional 30 minutes due to the "late arrival of connecting passengers"......is a gross understatement!

Even though things seemed bad while in ORD.......everthing turned out better than I could have ever expected......as the pilot seemed to be flying that 767 as fast as possible (seatbelt indicator remained on for practically the entire flight due to a rather "bumpy ride" ) so that we arrived at LGA before the clock stuck midnight (actual wheels down time was 11:56PM). Talk about a close call.

Delta earned a hell of a lot of "brownie points" in my book (as well as my continued loyalty) on that day.

FWIW, I didn't quite have any status with Delta at that point....and was travelling on a Q class fare.

A.J.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, US Air Chairmens Preferred, Continental Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club
Not on this BOARD

You will not get any sympathy on this board. I think it is all Delta employees that post here. Everytime someones posts a gripe they get excuses as to why. Never that this is just a bad company that is almost never on time, treats their frequent flyers with contempt and has nothing to offer except that they are biggest and therefore people have to use them.

Sooner or later this company will fail and we wil lall be better off.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
They are in the NE....the midwesterner's could care less about the President's (as a MW'er should I have even capitalized the p?)
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lehava
Upstate NY at least all the schools are closed this week for their "winter break". Airport this morning was kid fest and old people.
They are in the city too
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawman3886
You will not get any sympathy on this board. I think it is all Delta employees that post here. Everytime someones posts a gripe they get excuses as to why. Never that this is just a bad company that is almost never on time, treats their frequent flyers with contempt and has nothing to offer except that they are biggest and therefore people have to use them.

I have recently had CO & NW both do this for me and me alone....I don't expect it but am glad they did....I'll continue to NOT expect it and will NOT complain if they do it for others....it's just part of the system but when they (the airlines) feel they can make this small accomodation I'm glad they do even if it means it isn't for me.....

As far as DL failing....airlines don't fail very easily, there's something about this country's laws/economics etc but it's really hard to make it happen.....
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:46 am

Ah the troll's have struck again.

Honestly people like YOU should keep your thoughts to yourself.

On an unrelated note, was this you?
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, US Air Chairmens Preferred, Continental Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Ah the troll's have struck again.

Honestly people like YOU should keep your thoughts to yourself.

On an unrelated note, was this you?

Troll nice! Classy too.

Perhaps if you don't want to read others opinions maybe you should not visit message boards.

I fly this airline every week only because they are the only game in town. How many times have you actually departed on time in the last 6 months...it was once for me.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Or perhaps you will get even more frustrated and try a different airline. I flew 40K+ on DL last year and am very please with their service. I'm also not aware of any DL employees posting on this board.

To the OP: The decision to hold or not hold a plane is a financial tradeoff. Holding in a plane can result in cascading misconnections downstream. It's a lot cheaper to let one person misconnect now than than to cause a bunch of missconnections later. When you're one of 25, the bottom line changes.

Old Feb 22, 06, 11:59 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
You will not get any sympathy on this board.
In regards to something like holding an aircraft for connecting passengers......nobody who rants against this policy will EVER receive any sympathy from me.

However, I am not above leveling complaints in regards to Delta.......even going so far as to relate said concerns/complaints directly to Delta.

However, I limit it to things that seem to only have negative effects.....and not something that is being done to help passengers.

Such examples would include seat comfort on Song (I think the fact that I much prefer mainline coach seats on a 764 to those on Song says volumes.), upgrades not processing when they should......and let's not forget their recent implimention of Journey Control and what apparent effects it has had on availability.

While Delta is not perfect (no airline is).....they sure seem to do a better than average job and usually excel when the going gets tough (IROPS)....and I'm sure I don't have to mention the "added value" that many of their frontline employees add to the mix.

A.J.

Search this Thread