Medallion Seating and Boarding on Song

Old Feb 15, 06, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Medallion Seating and Boarding on Song

I am finally taking the plunge and am flying Song for the first time from FLL to JFK. I was told by SMS that Medallions now board before other people. Is this truly the case? I know that Medallions previously were not given priority boarding but heard the rumor that it was going to change.

It is interesting to note that on many flights that I checked between FLL and LGA as well as FLL and BOS that row 9 was available but few seats in the front of the aircraft. I would have thought that Row 9 would be one of the first to go due to the great leg room. Could someone explain to me why that does not seem to be the case.

What do you consider to be prime seats on a Song aircraft?
Old Feb 15, 06, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I am finally taking the plunge and am flying Song for the first time from FLL to JFK. I was told by SMS that Medallions now board before other people. Is this truly the case? I know that Medallions previously were not given priority boarding but heard the rumor that it was going to change.

It is interesting to note that on many flights that I checked between FLL and LGA as well as FLL and BOS that row 9 was available but few seats in the front of the aircraft. I would have thought that Row 9 would be one of the first to go due to the great leg room. Could someone explain to me why that does not seem to be the case.

Leg room is not a major problem on Song... row 9 has been the last zone to board due to the fact that the rest of the pax have to pass by those seats. The area can be chilly due to the door seals, and the armrests are fixed. There are some drawbacks even though the legroom is great.
Old Feb 15, 06, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Leg room is not a major problem on Song... row 9 has been the last zone to board due to the fact that the rest of the pax have to pass by those seats. The area can be chilly due to the door seals, and the armrests are fixed. There are some drawbacks even though the legroom is great.
Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 06, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly

I just flew Song yesterday and Medallion members still do not get priority boarding. I am PM and was in Zone 6. As for the best seats, my preference on Song are 10A or 10F; the other seats in this row do not have any extra leg room. The exit row seats, rows 16 and 17, are my second choice. These can only be reserved at the gate on Song. Row 9 have a ton of legroom, but really no window and you are last to board the aircraft. Luckily, the flight attendants are quite good about saving overhead space for passengers in Row 9 since they are last to board.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Row 9, overhead

I've flown Song 6 times this year, all in row 9. I've heard some people say that the crew always save space for them. This year, it's only happened twice for me.

One time, the crew had saved the space by placing their own bags over row 9. They then moved their bags to accomodate ours after we'd boarded.

In the cases where there was no room, the flight attendants simply apologized and said "we tried" and shrugged it off, leaving us to gate check (which completely irks me). It's always bothered me that you reserve premium seats for medallion members and then take away something else that we value -- our time.

But there seems to be an easy solution to this problem: put "placeholders" in those overheads: Crew cases, empty duffel bags, duffel bags stuffed with blankets, whatever. Or JUST LOCK THEM. Then empty them or open them up after the rest of plane has boarded. It's not difficult, it just required a little creativity and concern for your "most valued" customers.

It may only be an issue until May, when the aircraft are reconfigured, but with a pretty easy solution... just do it.

[stepping down from my soap box now.]

Search this Thread