Wiki Posts
Search

Huge Delta Announcement on Monday 10/1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2001, 9:00 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Huge Delta Announcement on Monday 10/1

We hereby advise all Delta SkyMiles members to stay glued to FlyerTalk on Monday as news of huge proportions is announced. Announcement may have something to do with New York, but then again, that just may be where the announcement is to take place.

While we face expulsion (from Delta's good graces) for telling you too much too soon, here's your chance to "ponder."
Old Sep 29, 2001, 9:19 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Somewhat big news: New terminal is deferred.

Bigger news: Closing JFK as a gateway.

Even bigger: Merging with United. This would sail through the DOJ right now.

Or maybe: Putting sleepers in economy. Quote: "We're going to get our load factor back no matter what it takes!"
Old Sep 29, 2001, 9:45 am

If I win, everyone is buying me a full-fare BusinessElite seat to my destination of choice. Agreed?

Delta makes all domestic fares upgradeable
Old Sep 29, 2001, 10:01 am

B747-437B:
You usually have a pretty good insight into the internal workings at Delta. What do you predict?

------------------
Bert
Old Sep 29, 2001, 10:21 am

Randy,

Thank you for the heads up. We can only hope that they do something that is mutually benifical to all of us and the long term benifit of Delta. We have all offered thoughts in the past.

Upgrade all fares would be a good start. That will help keep the "Loyal Elite" on Delta in the slow ecconomy.

Convert DLX to Point to Point would also be nice.

I look forward to hearing the news. I hope we all do not look for too much. It has not been Mr. Mullin's way in recent years.
Old Sep 29, 2001, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
CO is "buying" Delta now? This is the only away around the legalese of getting out of partnership with NW.

Simple speculation but I suppose mergers or alliances will be announced in the coming months, some we expected and some we didn't. Like a tripod, the injured airlines will prop themselves up against one another. Those left standing will probably fall. Except for SW, as their business strategy is contrarian to the airline industry.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Sep 29, 2001, 11:27 am
Suspended

Could be the November 1 elimination of most meal service and the sale of one regional carrier. Those will be real headlines.
Leo has to fish or cut bait on the Shuttle.
Changes are probably effective 11/1, with a new sked of already-known JFK downsizing and Asia routes.
I seriously doubt upgradeable fares or other Medallion enhancements other than extending qualification time will be announced.
Sounds like they're thinking smaller not smarter. A few half-hearted fare sales might be in the mix, but I think the airline's in a bunker now and we're joining them with sack lunches.

[This message has been edited by fannin (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old Sep 29, 2001, 11:54 am

Triple Miles are back.
Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeantownFlyer:
Triple Miles are back.</font>

Ron Allen is back!!!!!!

Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAOCA:
Bigger news: Closing JFK as a gateway.
</font>
That would be my bet. Well in line with all the (temporary) cuts of international service from JFK while Atlanta seems more or less unaffected.
Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:46 pm

Merger with CO....
Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:48 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Actually, merging with CO and closing the JFK gateway go hand in hand.

Subsequently there would be closings at DFW and Cleveland.

Then again, maybe DL/CO/NW. Add major hubs at DET, NRT and AMS.

[This message has been edited by LAOCA (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BertBamboo:
B747-437B:
You usually have a pretty good insight into the internal workings at Delta. What do you predict?
</font>
Sadly, my NCNDA with one of the parties does not allow me to discuss this. But I second what Randy says that it is HUGE

Old Sep 29, 2001, 12:51 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Fare sales to NY (and possibly DC) is my guess.

If I get two guesses it'll be double miles.
Old Sep 29, 2001, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The clue seems to be in Randy's last line .... "POND"er .... maybe something to do with transatlantic issues?

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited 09-29-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.