Noticeable Difference Being PM vs. GM?

Old Jan 20, 06, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Noticeable Difference Being PM vs. GM?

Have new PMs felt a noticeable difference since earning higher status? Obviously, being at the top of the upgrade list is always a welcome sight, but have you noticed a change in the way DL personnel interact with you?

Do DL gate/ticket agents or FAs even care about status...or do they not even notice unless they are doing something that requires seeing it (upgrades, flight change fees, etc.)?

In my opinion, a customer is a customer, and all DL pax should be treated well, but it never hurts to recognize a repeat customer.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jan 20, 06 at 8:20 pm
Old Jan 20, 06, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG VIP
I havent noticed anything.
Old Jan 20, 06, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
For the year that I had dropped to GM, I had noticed that the cool fashion models at the bars that I frequent were avoiding me. Now that I'm back to PM, I have to fight them off once again.

But as far as DL personnel are concerned, no difference.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 20, 06 at 7:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 06, 1:58 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with PM or GM, but my recent segment BUF-ATL, the most wonderful Lead FA, came thru the FC cabin just prior to landing and shook each FC passenger's hand, addressing them by name, and thanked them for their business. She had actually memorized everyone's name! I was really impressed. She even addressed us by name when serving the snack basket. I have never seen that before. It was worthy of the employee recognition card.
Old Jan 22, 06, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
For the year that I had dropped to GM, I had noticed that the cool fashion models at the bars that I frequent were avoiding me. Now that I'm back to PM, I have to fight them off once again.
Good for a laugh!

I've been PM since 2002. About 1/4 of the time on international flights I get pulled up to the business class cabin. I think that's more likely to happen to PM rather than GM.

Also, PM gets you the Crown Room club for free (but not any longer starting in 2007), and that's worth something.
Old Jan 22, 06, 11:47 am
v3

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
...have you noticed a change in the way DL personnel interact with you? ...
No. However I would like to add that Delta's people are helpful and pleasant most of the time, specially compared to some other airlines.
Old Jan 22, 06, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
On my recent NRT-ATL flight, one of the pilots was at the door during boarding, noticed the PM tag on my carry-on, looked straight from the tag to my face and welcomed me on board. Later during the flight, while he was on break, I saw him in the galley. He noted that I was PM and he specifically thanked me for "being the reason that I have a job." ^
Old Jan 24, 06, 4:39 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES SM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS GOLD, PRIORITY PASS
I travel internationally (DUB to USA), got seat 15C on 767 ( Biz seat in Econony) a couple of times. Another time got offered a bottle of wine when in Coach. Also got upgraded when flying on an award ticket from Biz to 1st on Air France, ditto on NW once. as a Skyteam Elite Plus (PM)

There is also Crown room access for this year and the PMUs which I also get to use up.
Old Jan 24, 06, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL has never showed me "PM love" over international lands/water by upgrading me or otherwise recognizing me as PM in the coach cabin.

The best recognition I have routinely been shown by DL is on a route where upgrades are impossible, priority boarding is not an option and elite status gives no preferred seating. C'est la vie (but at least the ground staff is great with me).

The significant benefit I get as a PM is lounge access and some emergency toilet paper, better known as the DL Platinum Medallion (Systemwide) Upgrade certificates.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 24, 06 at 5:09 am
Old Jan 24, 06, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The significant benefit I get as a PM is lounge access and some emergency toilet paper, better known as the DL Platinum Medallion (Systemwide) Upgrade certificates.
I hope you're listening Delta: Print the PMUs on softer paper!
Old Jan 24, 06, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vennamn
I hope you're listening Delta: Print the PMUs on softer paper!
Then it won't be emergency toilet paper; it will be ordinary toilet paper.
Old Jan 24, 06, 8:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Kittens don't really care how soft the paper is, as long as they can "bury" on it.
Old Jan 24, 06, 9:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
I have definitely noticed a change in upgrade availability since I became PM. Of 7 upgradeable flights since becoming PM, I've been upgraded on 6 of them. Last year (as a GM) I had 50% (18/36) success. Flying from TPA where there are lots of Medallions, as a GM, I only rarely got upgrades on flights between TPA and ATL. Now it appears that upgrades are going to be a lot more common.

As for better treatment by DL staff, I think it's made a bit of a difference. I do find that in general, DL staff are better than other DL carriers. I do think that some DL staff have taken it to another level due to the fact that I'm a PM. And although CRC staff are usually the best of the best when it comes to courtesy, it seems that even they've gotten better. I'm not saying that the employees are any more polite, just that they try even harder to make sure I get the best seats possible, ensuring upgrades get entered and cleared, etc.
Old Jan 24, 06, 7:27 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 07 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 24, 06, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by vinnmann
Today I took my first DL flight since qualifying for PM. No mention of it by the check-in agent, no mention of it by the GA, no mention of it by CRC staff, and no mention of it by the FA's.

I wonder if tomorrow will be any different? Also, anyone going to be in ATL tomorow? I will be there from noon to 5:15PM.
really? I thought your profile has said PM for a while.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: