Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta requests to cover new route to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2001, 6:25 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Delta requests to cover new route to Argentina

Its been published in the Argentine press that Delta has officially requested permission to cover direct non-stop service between New York & Buenos Aires. I dont have the details as to which airport they would fly out of (EWR or JFK, I doubt it would be La Guardia, unless that happens to be an important DL hub?).
Old Jun 25, 2001, 7:12 pm

Right now Continental has the rights for Newark to EZE but they are delaying it sighting the current Argentinan economy would cause the route to be a big loss. Delta is claiming that since CO is not using the route authority they should get it, though to JFK not Newark. LaGuardia can't handle commercial international arrivals (I doubt the runway could accomodate that either; I know that 767s fly into LGA daily and that DC-10s and other widebody used to fly in there, but I bet they have a lot less fuel than a NYC-EZE flight would have!).
Old Jun 25, 2001, 8:20 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Bizjet, thanks for the CO information, I didnt know that they were sitting on that.
While you need lots of fuel to/from EZE, while landing that wouldnt be a problem, or...? (unless you are talking about take-off when a full loaded wide-body may need more runway?)
Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:15 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/003322.html
Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:16 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
The news release was reported here:

Delta Files for New York-Buenos Aires Authority (Doc's thread)

The application is here:

Delta Application for JFK-EZE

Yes, the request is for JFK service. Delta has filed plans with the government to add service from JFK to almost all the South American cities it now serves only from Atlanta. This is one reason they're building all those new gates at JFK.

LGA is restricted by regulation as to its destinations. LGA's only international flights are to a few Canadian cities.

Apparently, American Airlines also filed today (Monday, 25 June) to take over the Continental rights and use them from Dallas!

United was the backup carrier to Continental with LAX-EZE authority, but also filed last week to use that on IAD-EZE instead. So UA, AA & DL are all arguing to be given the CO frequencies.

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.

[edited for further info]

[This message has been edited by LexPassenger (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:18 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
One minute apart! That's what I get for being fancy & using the URL code shortcuts!

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Old Jun 25, 2001, 9:31 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One minute apart! That's what I get for being fancy & using the URL code shortcuts!

---

Okey, dokey!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.