Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Upgrade Process

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2001, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Location: AA-EXP(2MM+), Delta-Plat(1MM+), Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LifePlat
Crazy Upgrade Process

Last week, I was booked on a TWA ticket out of MSY. Since there was a mechanical on TWA (big surprise there), I would have missed a connection in STL, so I was re-routed on DL.

I attempted to upgrade at the ticket counter, but was informed by two agents that I couldn't upgrade because my tickets were originally purchased on another carrier. I called SkyMiles and presto, I was upgraded on one segment and waitlisted on the other (which eventually upgraded).

Does anyone know what the policy really is? I can't seem to find anything on the Delta Website.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 9:18 am

That sounds like another one of those "I don't know how to do it, so its probably not allowed" excuses.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 9:29 am

Perhaps they have laminated red cards that have an algorithm for dealing with any question/request they don't immediately know how to answer. I think it reads:

1) I'm sorry, you may not do that [insert request]:
a) with your Fare Class
b) with your original form of purchase
c) on the day of departure

2) Please hold while I check with:
a) skymiles service center
b) customer care
c) a supervisor

3) OH - you need to talk to international reservations [ click ]
Old Jun 12, 2001, 2:07 pm
Original Member

This is news to me. There have been at least three occasions (possibly more) that I can recall where I was rebooked by US Airways on a Delta flight and I had no problem upgrading with my segment upgrade points. I am Gold Medallion with Delta so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. Also, I know I did it once on the automated phone system and another time at the ticket counter.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 2:22 pm

I think it is a TWA problem. The cross-revenue agreements on certain carriers are different. Once had an AA FF ticket that crossed to a Y fare on DL, but on another occassion had an America West ticket on a change that was not-upgradeable. TWA probably isn;t paying more than the dreaded L fare.

[This message has been edited by law5 (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old Jun 12, 2001, 3:38 pm

Good question. Now if you were put on another carrier "Rule 240" or a FIM.(flight interupt manifest) the class of service cannot be changed, because regardless of what you paid the carrier of your original choice is paying a percentage of a full fare and if they so choose they can only place you in F class.

Now if your ticket is endorsed (120.20) which is face value. It's more subject to some knowledgeable approval. Personally I'll look at the market you are flying and find what class of service matches the class purchased on your original airline. Every airline has the same fares, some though give the fare price a different designation in the class of service ie. L K M Q .....so on. If you have another ticket from another carrier I will research and if it's equive of K or above I will grant the same privledges as DL upgrade rule. I just try to be fair, and I think that is... If it's equive to L or lower no UPG.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Another guess?
Agents were well aware that you were a TWA passenger and were leaving seats for DL passengers to upgrade to.

Once you in the system, your reference to TWA ticket/passenger was not as obvious and away you go.

Design, or luck, who knows?

If I was a paying DL passenger and lost out on an upgrade because someone that bought a ticket on another airline got it, I would be pissed. It happens.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA-EXP(2MM+), Delta-Plat(1MM+), Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LifePlat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 10kster:
Now if your ticket is endorsed (120.20) which is face value. It's more subject to some knowledgeable approval. Personally I'll look at the market you are flying and find what class of service matches the class purchased on your original airline. Every airline has the same fares, some though give the fare price a different designation in the class of service ie. L K M Q .....so on. If you have another ticket from another carrier I will research and if it's equive of K or above I will grant the same privledges as DL upgrade rule. I just try to be fair, and I think that is... If it's equive to L or lower no UPG.</font>
10Kster - the ticket was endorsed 120.20, not 240. The ticket agents just made a blanket statement that you can't upgrade any ticket from another airline. I was just curious if there was any formal policy or not and I believe you have answered my question. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If TW rebooked him in Y (full Y), I would not begrudge him the upgrade. Whether he paid it, his company paid it, or TW paid it, someone paid more than I probably did.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
If I was a paying DL passenger and lost out on an upgrade because someone that bought a ticket on another airline got it, I would be pissed. It happens.</font>

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jun 12, 2001, 7:46 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
As for policy, I had a LEX-AUS through ORD last August. ORD had thunderstorms. GG was very surprised by my call from Bluegrass Field saying we'd been cancelled -- the UA website said we'd already arrived on time in Chicago! So much for computers.

Anyway, GG was also flying to AUS on Delta that day (on the 10AM). That's what UA rerouted me to. So I ask the nice Delta check-in agent if I can kindly be seated next to my wife -- presto, it happens, in the exit row. (We do really like most Delta front-line personnel.)

Well, here's the point: we arrive in ATL early, and the two hour earlier AUS flight than the one we're booked on is at the jetway next to us & hasn't left yet (is this enough miracles for one post?). What's to lose? We walk over & ask if there are seats &, oh by the way, we have LOTS of upgrade points. "Hang around" she says. Lo and behold, right before departure, two front cabin boarding passes appear for ADJACENT seats. So, GG upgraded standby & I upgraded on a transfer ticket from United. That's GOOD business in my opinion. Front-line folks who go over and beyond to help us do counter some of the crap that eminates from corporate management cubicledom. That's why we still fly Delta despite.... But my conclusion: there's surely no hard rule about upgrading transfer tickets.

10kster: surely you DO NOT MEAN that "every airline has the same fares" ???? That would be illegal anti-trust collusion. For the sake of your employer, I would suggest "most airlines have very similar fares" in the future....

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 8:26 am

Les Pax...call it similar, or competively matching, but most fares are similar to the cent. Collusion? Fares are matched for competitive reasons. I can take a $232.00 RT fare on United and usually match it exactly to DL's $232.00 and verify a class of service associated.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:08 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
10kster: I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of anti-trust law is that airlines are allowed to have the same fares, they're just not allowed to admit it!(case simplified for humor purposes)

IE, if there is evidence of collusion, they've broken the law. Just playing follow-the-leader is tolerated.

There was a case about 12 years ago where the late night fare signalling on the major reservations systems was ruled to be illegal price collusion.

I was attempting humor by pointing out that you, as an airline employee, might be taken as an official spokesman acknowledging this collusion. Better not to say it... shhh!

I have actually been amazed lately at how many of the fares ARE NOT the same. Either some lines are sold out of the cheapies, or they are not matching. This is one of the values of using the comparison sites (Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz et al). Sometimes the difference is only the various airports' fees, sometimes it's huge!

Should I take Les Pax as intended to insult? Some of my best friends....

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.