What's up with ticket prices????

Old Jun 5, 2001, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
What's up with ticket prices????

I'm scheduling multiple business trips over the next few months and have noticed prices have sky rocketed. Example:
SLC-ATL Mid July 18-19 -- $950.00 (M)
SLC-MOB Early Aug - $550 (K)
SLC-SGU Late June - $220 (K)
SLC-DCA Mid June - $440 (K)

I can't even find any LU fares -- I understand that without the Sat night stay you take a hit but these prices are crazy (2 to 3 times what other carriers are offering) perhaps Delta is making up for all the free base miles their giving out!
Old Jun 5, 2001, 4:14 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Not if we don't buy the tickets they're not.

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Darn right! Once that Southwest sale ended, Delta really jacked their ticket prices up. Wait it out, fares will come down. Or book on another carrier - either way, there's no point in paying those insane fares.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jun 5, 2001, 4:26 pm

Tough if you are in SLC2002 market, or any other DL hub. Getting schedules to meet your needs are difficult on other airlines.

Being from LAX, it is nice to know there is not 1 Major airline dominating the flights. If DL is too high to JFK or DC, then hop on UA.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 6:51 pm

A little cruising on Delta's website:

L & U fares still to the west coast from JAX, RDU, BHM, OKC, IAH... didn't check 'em all. But not a whiff from CLE, CMH, IND, SDF (except LAX) PVD or BWI. Seems that Delta has canned, or filled, the U & L's from cities that connect through CVG.... hmmm....

They are also NOT matching Southwest's $60 companion fare....

It seems that cities with significant lift connecting through CVG on Comair are not getting many discount fares right now. Makes some sense -- lots of those seats are gone away.

Don't know how to explain the SLC fares, though.

If you check seat availability, most of these flights for July are still VERY empty. Still seems to me that the revenue management computer is broke....

------------------
Old Jun 5, 2001, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Seems there's a lot of price jacking throughout DL's system. Bought a 14 day advance, with a Sat. night to ORD from ORF, paid just over $500!!. It seems DL has started to eliminate the lower L,U fares on midweeks, and bring up the weekend fares. BTW, UA and AA/Eagle were close to the same. In April flew the same route w/o the Saturday, paid $400. Can anyone spell price fixing at the smaller airports.

On the news this AM, heard that Richmond was one of the three most expensive airports in the US, based on $/mile. Southwest announced they're starting to fly out of here in October - it's going to get interesting.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 4:02 am

What are the other two most expensive airports as far as $/mile in the USA?
Old Jun 6, 2001, 4:29 am

Well, it seems Delta IS matching Southwest's companion flies for $60 fare.... just not on their website or, so far as I can make it happen, on Expedia or Travelocity.

But it shows up fine on Orbitz. L fares, but what can you expect for $235 SDF-PDX?

This compares to the $515 "best fare" on Delta's own website. Is their system not able to deal with companion fares? Is this a temporary advantage for Southwest in the web sale wars?

------------------
Old Jun 6, 2001, 5:02 am

Pferde: The other two most expensive airports to fly from are CVG and CLT. Two hub cities, one for DL and the other US. Both are without Southwest flights.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Enter the same dates for travel on Orbitz and see what you come up with. I have found less expensive fares for DL several times on that site. I believe that they are all LUser fares. Orbitz asks that you list your frequent flyer account numbers when you register, so I assume that we at least get mileage credit for purchasing tickets on their site. I would be interested in whether others have had the same experience in pricing with them.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I'm so tired of the DL games i'm looking to go to CO -- Heck they even upgrade from their lowest fares.

SCL2002
Old Jun 6, 2001, 10:07 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Delta just doesn't get it - nor do they want to. Playing stupid games is Simply Good Business.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.