Horrible Int'l Delta Flight, where to complain?

Old May 30, 01, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Horrible Int'l Delta Flight, where to complain?

I've read through the Delta website and can't seem to find a place to complain about a recent international flight (not on a partner airline). The Delta Customer Commitment policy seems to apply to domestic flights only. Has anyone ever sucessfully complained and compensated for a truly horrible international flight?
Old May 30, 01, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
What is the complaint? Poor service, lousy food, late departure, unfriendly FAs, rerouting? Need more details to determine if compensation is due. You should contact Customer Care rhrough DLs web site. You are able to identify flight and articulate specific problems you encountered.
Old May 31, 01, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Where should I start? Two hours into flight from Rome, we were redirected to Gatwick because of mechanical problems and couldn't make transatlantic flight. No problem, I don't want to be fish food on bottom of ocean. Two hours at Gatwick while searching for new plane. Found new plane. Halfway across ocean, we can't land in Atlanta because crew needs to be switched out via FAA guidelines. Okay, I'm patient, Two hours a JFK, (still on plane) - New crew, lousy flight attendants who spend the entire two hour flight eating all the leftovers while the passengers have no water, no AC, no drinks, nothing. A 17 hour flight. Okay, this is not a third world airline, what gives? What happened to Delta?

Are you sorry you asked. Well, yes I am glad to be alive, but gosh, where's the apology?
Should I expect a 75 dollar voucher and be quiet?
Old May 31, 01, 7:36 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
In that case, I would say you should DEFINITELY WRITE A LETTER and NOT complain through the website.
Explain your feelings and how it affected your plans, and lists possible out-of-pocket expenses you might have had due to the delay.

I would say a $200 travel voucher should be the minimum amount for such a problem.
Old May 31, 01, 7:48 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I agree with RCS -- most definitely do not use the web site for this. Send in a real lettter or FAX something in.
Old May 31, 01, 8:40 am

I'm not sure if this is possible, but wouldn't it have made more sense to find a replacement crew in LGW (i.e., the same time they found the replacement aircraft?)

They obviously knew at LGW that they would run into crew rest issues across the Atlantic. (Or perhaps they hoped to get in and out of LGW quicker and have enough time to make ATL).
Old May 31, 01, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of complaints, has anyone had any success using http://www.planetfeedback.com ?

Regards and safe journeys,

O/H
Old May 31, 01, 8:56 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002259.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/001109.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/001044.html

Hope this helps!
Old May 31, 01, 9:43 am

Out of curiousity, were you in the main cabin or in BusinessElite?
Old May 31, 01, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

As a treat for our 10th anniversary, we sprung for Business Elite. We were really looking forward to Business Elite since everyone said it was better than Air France's business class. There was no comparison. The food, wine and service were fabulous on Air France. I didn't notice any difference between Business Elite and Coach except for the seats. AFter all, between JFK and Atlanta, no one received any water.
Old May 31, 01, 12:28 pm

Originally posted by mphall:
I didn't notice any difference between Business Elite and Coach except for the seats.
No difference except for the seats? What about
* Meals
* Size and shape of blankets and pillows
* Drink selection
* Personal movie screens
* Better headphones
* Lounge access

Should I go on?
Old May 31, 01, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I don't want to seem snappy, but the Business Elite features that you mention did not work during the second half our our 17 flight. No movies, no drinks, the teenage flight attendants took the pillows and blankets, no water (that's really important). Yes, there was radio. I did mention the seat difference. But when it comes down to the bottom line customer service, there was no difference between how the BE was treated versus coach on this particular flight, on this particular day. If you work for Delta, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I would rather put up with a snooty French flight attendant that the inexperienced snippy "Miami Beach bound for the weekend, we only volunteered to take on this flight because there were no flights from JFK" attendants that we had.
Old May 31, 01, 1:11 pm

Originally posted by mphall:
Halfway across ocean, we can't land in Atlanta because crew needs to be switched out via FAA guidelines.
I'd be very curious as to what "FAA guideline" required this, because once the aircraft has been dispatched from LGW-ATL (or FCO-ATL if the LGW stop was under 6 hours), the crew duty time does not come into play. As long as they were within legal limits at time of departure as per the flight plan (eg. 10hrs duty time left and an 9.5hr flight plan filed), then they are permitted to complete their flight plan regardless of duration. The crew may exceed their maximum limits (which they wouldn't have done anyway in your case) and be well within FAR 121.

I have a feeling that DL either provided incorrect information to you inflight (that the JFK diversion was due to FAA regulations) or that JFK was actually the filed destination ex-LGW (in which case they should have informed pax. on ground).

Either way, you need to get an aswer as to why they did what they did and collect the appropriate compensation. Safety is one thing, but when they start saying "FAA regulations" for what is plainly an operational decision, then they are crossing the line.
Old May 31, 01, 1:24 pm
Original Member

When was this? If only a couple of days ago, DL sometimes sends out an apology letter and DL $ voucher without any prompting on your part. I was once on a DL transatlantic from JFK booked in non-upgradable coach; mechanical problem - delayed a little less than 3 hours - far better than your experience. They upgraded most Medallions it seems (including my self ). I was quite happy at that point. Then, within about a week, I received an apology letter explaining exactly what the problem was with a 100 DL $. I was most impressed ... That's what I consider Simply Good Business!
Old May 31, 01, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure that you are all getting sick of this topic. The original flight was direct from Rome to Atlanta. It was diverted to Gatwick for mechanical problems. Plane was switched and went to JFK with same crew. Crew was switched out at JFK and then went on to Atlanta. One remedy might be to provide everyone on the plane a free 5 minute phone card in order to call relatives waiting back home. We never got off the plane except to change and then closely supervised as we walked off the plane at Gatwick to get to new plane.

Anyway, I will write a letter. I am disappointed in Delta.

Does anyone know where I can get an autographed Bob Gibson baseball? I think he pitched for the SL Cardinals. (Boy was that a switch in topics). Thank you all for your replies.

Search this Thread