Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to start BOS - LGW service next year ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2000, 11:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

DL to start BOS - LGW service next year ...

This is pretty big news. BOS before JFK - fine by me! No more of those crazy commutes down to ATL to catch a flight to LGW!! Starts 6/1/01 with a 763.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000913/ga_delta_b.html

[This message has been edited by leroy11 (edited 09-13-2000).]
Old Sep 13, 2000, 12:03 pm
Original Member

Presumably this is the replacement for the MAN-JFK route. In any case, I consider it very good news.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 09-13-2000).]
Old Sep 13, 2000, 12:15 pm

Wow, looks like DL is moving forward with their BOS expansion plans sooner than most anticipated. I thought this wouldn't happen until their new terminal was nearing completion in three or so years. Great for DL and BOS!
Old Sep 13, 2000, 12:26 pm

Woo hoo! (Even if it is Gatwick, blech).
Old Sep 13, 2000, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Looking for a big January launch bonus on this one, Delta
Old Sep 13, 2000, 1:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh sorry, James - my American tendancies have gotten to me: that's June 1, 2001.

DL would be able to get some feed on this. DL Shuttle from DCA and LGA as well as DL Connection. I'm not sure I would be overjoyous about connecting onto DL Express after a transatlantic flight though. However, it's the O&D traffic that should make this route worthwhile.

Depending upon whether I choose to stay with DL or not, I could be a very frequent customer on this route.

Old Sep 13, 2000, 1:53 pm

This news is fantastic IMO. I am a Delta PM who flys regularly to Europe, so this is good news.

Currently, Boston to London is operated by British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, United Airlines, and American Airlines. All but Virgin Atlantic serve Heathrow. Delta will have some tough competition, but they have a loyal backing of Boston-based travelers.

By my count, this will make five daily flights on Delta to London Gatwick. I can see the wait for the arrivals lounge now...

globalstar
Old Sep 13, 2000, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
So, where does this route authority come from??
Old Sep 13, 2000, 3:15 pm

It's subject to approval by the DOT. But routes into and out of LGW are not restricted the same way routes into and out of LHR are. Pretty much anybody can fly into LGW (although the arrival time may be problematic - read "early").

I'll be very interested to hear what the schedule for the flights will be.
Old Sep 13, 2000, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
This will be most welcome from an FF perspective. It should also help DL Shuttle FF loyalty by pulling pax away from AA (who are currently likely to use US Shuttle).

I doubt that DL will have much pull from LGA/DCA markets on the Shuttle for connecting flights--these city origins are too well served by direct flights from IAD/JFK already.
Old Sep 14, 2000, 12:14 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
This pretty much concurs what Leo Mullin talked about last winter in announcing the expansion of Boston. It's great news, because now there is true BE service all the way to LGW from Los Angeles! Way to go DL.
Old Sep 14, 2000, 1:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting to read their DoT application:
http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.a...qdocketid=7922

Click on the link and decide whether you want to see a TIFF or PDF file.

The flight times are less than ideal (particularly Eastbound):
DL1986
Dep. BOS 550pm
Arr. LGW 535am
DL1987
Dep. LGW 120pm
Arr. BOS 345pm

They hope to obtain the authority from an unused frequency from LGW to BOS. NW used it for a number of years before giving it up, then AA flew it before discontinuing it and now, DL wants it.
Old Sep 14, 2000, 1:46 pm

I found that very interesting, thank you for the link.

The return time is fine, but I agree the outbound (eastbound) time is less than satisfactory.

Currently DL has arrivals at the following times: 6:55 (DL12 ATL) 8:00 (DL36 CVG)8:40 (DL58 ATL) 11:15 (DL10 ATL)

So this flight will be beat all the others to the arrivals lounge showers! Cancel my comment above!

I have a question: From that letter to the DOT, it appears that Delta is requesting authority on this route. Is this just a formality? Is there any chance they will not get it? If so, it seems to me that they wouldn't put out a press release until authority was granted. So, in general, when a press release announcing a new route says "subject to government approval," does this mean there is a possibility/likely the route will not go, or that line is simply a formality.

globalstar
Old Sep 14, 2000, 1:52 pm

When Delta officially introduced BusinessElite US service between Los Angeles/SF and New York-JFK, they mentioned how they could now provide seamless BusinessElite service from the west Coast to Europe.

I wouldn't be surprised if they marketed BusinessElite from LAX to Gatwick, as jeffreyt mentions.

globalstar
Old Sep 14, 2000, 4:00 pm
Original Member

5.35? crickey

Delta used to offer connecting service to LAX from the LGW-CVG flight. On the departure screens at LGW, LAX was always listed as the destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.