Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

combining refundable and non-refundable fares in one RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2001, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm about to buy a round trip ticket where the outbound fare class is non-refundable and the return fare class is refundable/changeable etc.

If I decide for whatever reason, say find a better fare later on for the return flight, how is the refund of the original second segment processed? Sounds like they just refund whatever the segment cost was, but for some reason I wonder if it's actually that easy.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Old May 27, 2001, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
The entire ticket takes on the most restrictive of the provisions so if one part is Non Refundable the ENTIRE ticket becomes Non Refundable.

If you can, ticket them seperatly

TW
Old May 28, 2001, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

If that's the case--and I'll take your word for it--I find it highly misleading that DL shows you TWO different rules when offering you this kind of itenerary.

Glad I didn't buy this ticket now. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2001, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Well, they could have made the entire ticket either low fare non-refundbale or high fare refundable. They were just offering you the best price they had available. You could have asked for and probably could have taken an even higher fare refundable. They usually are available.
Old May 29, 2001, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Nostresshere,

My point was that DL should not list individual fare rules for individual segments if one of those rules is actually invalid due to the other. They should especially not do this on the web site where you cannot simply ask for clarification and they offer none about this situation.

(edited for clarity--I hope)

[This message has been edited by the scribbler (edited 05-29-2001).]
Old May 29, 2001, 12:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Tolarian Wind is correct.
Old May 29, 2001, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally posted by Tolarian Wind:
The entire ticket takes on the most restrictive of the provisions so if one part is Non Refundable the ENTIRE ticket becomes Non Refundable. If you can, ticket them seperatly

TW
Of course, if you ticket separate, then the fares will probably be even higher since they are not part of a RT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.