FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Have cups gone the way of pillows? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/512257-have-cups-gone-way-pillows.html)

jpdx Jan 8, 2006 1:02 pm

Have cups gone the way of pillows?

My seat neighbors have become victim of what appears to be a new cost cutting measure: DL has eliminated cups. This is troubling, as it makes brushing teeth fairly difficult. Or, rather: it does not impact the brushing, but the rinsing. I'm sure this move was based on a study of washroom use by tall customers on Regional Jets; after all, taller (and, I imagine, bigger) passengers quite commonly leave the door open and stick their butts out to wash hands in these mini-lavs. I take it this behavior is now being encouraged on all flights?

I think, DL has gone too far. Bring back the cups! I am quite confident that I can buy a paper cup of adequate dimensions for a penny. If DL buys many, and they can buy many, because they have many planes, they can probably get it even cheaper. Yes, there are some costs associated with stocking the lavs, more garbage will be created, and the planes will weigh a bit more (I would like to be more accurate here, but I don't have a cup to weigh; collectors of DL regalia PM me if you'd like to support my scientific inquiry), driving fuel consumption up, but these costs pale in comparison to the improved flight experience. Imagine, happy, well-odoured customers conversing about what a great airline DL still is. Just imagine what bringing cups back might do.

Flying_Duck Jan 8, 2006 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
I'm sure this move was based on a study of washroom use by tall customers on Regional Jets; after all, taller (and, I imagine, bigger) passengers quite commonly leave the door open and stick their butts out to wash hands in these mini-lavs. I take it this behavior is now being encouraged on all flights?

Fitting your profile, let me assure you that I go out of my way to avoid flights on CRJ's of a length even close to me needinjg to use the described facility!!

Just out of curiosity: I know about OCD, and wanting to brush teeth after a meal, but needing to brush teeth on a CRJ after the cheese-cracker - What is that about - or did I miss a newly installed red-ey.e CRJ? :)

NHFL9 Jan 8, 2006 1:15 pm

You actually trust the water from the sink in the lav? Did I read that right? I never even noticed that there were cups in the lav. Couldn't you just also ask the FA for a drink service cup or a bottle of Dasani? I haven't flown DL in a while, they haven't eliminated those small Dasani bottles have they?

v3 Jan 8, 2006 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9
...I haven't flown DL in a while, they haven't eliminated those small Dasani bottles have they?

Bottled water is still available on all Delta/Delta Connection flights.

NHFL9 Jan 8, 2006 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by v3

Thought so. So that being the case, do they really need cups?

J-M Jan 8, 2006 3:14 pm

There were paper cups in the lav? I've never noticed one and never needed one.

vinnmann Jan 8, 2006 6:04 pm

Deleted

jpdx Jan 8, 2006 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by J-M
There were paper cups in the lav? I've never noticed one and never needed one.

There were cups. Perhaps only in F and BE, but I definitely remember them. There also is space for razor blades, and individual pieces of soap, but strangely I don't miss these at all.

Originally Posted by NHFL9
You actually trust the water from the sink in the lav? Did I read that right?

I'm a spit/don't swallow kind of guy when it comes to brushing teeth.

Originally Posted by v3

True, but I'm concerned with DL's long-term viability. They didn't eliminate cups for nothing, but to save money. I'd be contributing to DL's demise when substituting Dasani for tap water.

Or perhaps this was one of the few clever moves of DL management? Maybe nobody needed the cups after all. I wonder how old they were, perhaps furnished by Boeing upon delivery of the aircraft?