Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Service expectations: ATL-LAX-ATL in F on L-1011

Old Apr 27, 2001, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold

Within the next month I will make a "pilgrimage" to pay homage to the venerable Lockheed 1011 TriStar. I am planning to redeem miles to "joy ride", in F, on L-1011s for a day or two. It has been years since I have flown DL on any segment over 500 miles, so I have no idea what to expect these days.

Back when I worked for DL ('78-'82) they offered "Royal Service" on that route (as well as ATL-SFO) and I have many fond memories of those days. How is the First Class service now from ATL to LAX? Is the meal service consistent seven days a week or do they scale back on the weekends? I know some AA routes that do not offer the same level of catering on weekends as they do Monday through Friday. I will be grateful for your feedback about what I can expect.

Thank you!

Bill
Old Apr 27, 2001, 7:08 pm

Deltas service on trans cont flights is generally very nice. Seats are wide, and leg room is around the standard 40" range. Entertainment system is outdated, and movies are viewed on the large pull down screen at the front. Usually you have a selection from three courses, given to you from a 1 page menu. The FC food is always good, but the sundae is just "to die for." I think you will be very happy with your flight, and "trip back in time."
Old Apr 27, 2001, 9:48 pm
Suspended

I really miss the old "royal service" days. This is from a time when DL wanted to be the best. not just make the most!!! The service is decent now days - however, not even the beautiful L-1011 can make up for the short comings of the new leaner DELTA. Enjoy this last ride on the best aircraft to ever grace the skies. I plan to take a few flights myself on the Tristar of the next few months for the very same reasons you are.
Old Apr 29, 2001, 4:42 pm

Interior shot of the L-1011 First Class cabin.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=159025
Old Apr 29, 2001, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Thanks, everyone, for your input...and thanks, BizJet, for the photo. Man, does that cabin look crowded and do those seats look uncomfortable! It's a far cry from the First Class I remember on the L-1011 but that was many years ago. Oh well, this may all be moot anyway as I cannot find any date in the next month with First Class award availability on the one L10 flight ATL-LAX. I may have to go Coach, which will be fine; it's the airplane I'm most interested in.
Old Apr 29, 2001, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you think the L-1011 is cramped and uncomfortable in F, wait 'till you get to experience the 764...

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old May 9, 2001, 9:28 pm
Don

FC in an L-10 cramped and uncomfortable??!!!
Hee hee, come join us unwashed in C aboard one of those nasty MD88 tuna cans or - better yet - shoehorned into a CRJ.

God bless the classic widebodies -- they were the ultimate in flying comfort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.