Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Earn Silver Medallion or Gold Medallion "faster than ever"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Silver Medallion or Gold Medallion "faster than ever"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2000, 8:33 am

jetsetter, I think both 7500 and 7501 have something to do with International travel from Canada to San Juan.
Old Oct 20, 2000, 3:13 pm

Location: Central Florida - Delta Silver, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold, et al
Under this promotion would that mean if you had enough real miles/segments thus far to get silver, you could fly 6 additional segments to get gold?
Old Oct 20, 2000, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I think you must register before any flights count toward the promotion, if that is your question.

If your question is does 6+6=12, the answer to that is yes as well.
Old Oct 20, 2000, 3:52 pm

After spending an hour on the phone with two very helpful(I'm being sincere) CSR's trying to find out if there was any way to insure that I was, in fact, signed up for the promo, I found out that "some promotions will show up in your account and some won't" and that "if you received the mailing with the toll free number and promo code, then you must be eligible". I didn't tell them that I received a mailing but I also didn't mention that I did not receive one. I also got the impression that some promos that are targeted by the Skymiles desk are tracked in one way or another. It could be as simple as mailings to Skymiles members in certain areas and hoping that not EVERYONE finds out about it or as complex as connecting promo code to mailing zip code to determine who's eligible to receive credit for the promotion upon requirement completion.
By the way, as hard as they tried they weren't able to find out if I was registered for this promo.
I'm doing a segment run just to see what happens. Hope it's worth the $400 bucks!
Old Oct 20, 2000, 4:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
wish they would do something like this for us PL trying to requalify for 2001. looks bad for me to make that level again.
Old Oct 21, 2000, 12:48 pm
Original Member

I also received the offer to achieve silver, or gold. I live in North Carolina and am currently a Continental Platinum. Not sure if I will make platinum with CO for 2001 but will make gold for sure. My question is, Would it be wise to switch?. Delta has more convienient schedules out of my airport, but I hear horror stories about service, upgrades etc. I would make sense to attempt the switch, but I think I would miss the Continental service. Any thoughts on Delta's service would be appreciated.
Old Oct 22, 2000, 5:35 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I also mainly fly CO, and about 99% of my DL flights have been on the DL Shuttle. When you switch from CO you would likely see the following disadvantages with DL:
1. You are not allowed to upgrade off of L fares. These are DL's most deeply discounted fares....like Q and T on CO;
2. DL has an internal corporate initiative called Simply Good Business. A lot of customers call this, instead, NWNF (no waivers no favors). Actually NWNF pretty well describes the internal DL news releases that describe what "Simply Good Business" is supposed to do. As I've said, I just fly the shuttle, so hopfully more rounded DL flyers will comment on how much or little this is actually being practiced out in the field. I've found on shuttle they are pretty easy going, e.g. I have been able to fly at times which my fare technically does not allow, and once they put me up in a hotel due to a weather cancellation;
3. The system wide upgrades are being elliminated for all but Platinum. Furthermoe, you will need upgrade points which you get evry 10,000 miles to upgrade. As a GOld Medallion you get 8 800-mile segment upgrade points each 10,000 flown. If your comped to Gold, they'll probably give you 4. You must use these points to upgrade each segment. Suppose you fly SFO-ATL-LGA. They will calculate SFO-ATL (you give up appropriate number of points), and again you give appropriate number of points for ATL-LGA. In other words, because you are connecting, they won't just calculate how many 800 points it is SFO-LGA. As you know, on CO, upgrades are free domestically;
4. DL charges a fee for issuance of domestic e-ticketed awards when issued very close to departure.....though there are ways to get around the rule;
5. You cannot buy a life time membership to the Crown Room club, which I think is the best value for the money. CO offers life-time pclub memberships. I believe DL Platinums, though, get comp access to the Crown Room;

Acvantages for the switch:
1. Elite mileage bonuses are based on the miles flown, or 500 miles minimum. The comparable CO bonuses are based on miles flown, even if under 500 miles. SO as an example BOS-LGA, as Gold, I earn 1,000 miles. Thats with a 100% Gold bonus. On CO BOS-EWR, I'd earn 500, plus 191*125% The plat bonus)., Still not as good as DL for short flights;
2. You can upgrade DL reservations on the web site;
3. You can access any DL reservations linked to your Skymiles# on the web site, and if any agent (res/airport) changes your record, the changes appear instantly on the web site. CO has nothing like this at all;
4. Depending ong the market you live in, DL may offfer more fare promotions, weekend specials, etc. CO has some good mileage promos, but their web site doften has lackluster fare or market speccific promos. As an example, for BOS-LGA or BOS-DCA, DL often has a promo for $100 round-trip. US also is very good in the promotional fare dept, etc. But remember, you cannot upgrade L, and all these promos are usually in L;
5. If you use miles (or system wide certs) you can upgrade internationally any time the upgrade booking class (often Z class) is available. No thirty day rule, like CO has. If Z is not available, DL to has a waiting list done by Medallion levels.
6. As soon as the gate agent closes out the flight (usually before you land in your destination city) the miles will be in your Sky Miles account. DL has the fastest posting in the industry for its own flights. CO, and other airlines, take a few days to post miles.

Also you can fax DL a copy of your CO plat card or statement, and you'll likely get a comp to Gold. No need to do the challenege, and pous, you'll earn the 100% bonus miles on the segments. Let us know what you think of the advantages/disadvantages or if you have other questions.
Old Oct 22, 2000, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Jetsetter,

Thanks so much for the response and the advice. I appreciate it.
Old Oct 27, 2000, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I signed up and am ready to make a stab at Silver.

Anyone yet determine if all of us will receive the level if we did not actually get the flier?
Old Oct 27, 2000, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I have no idea if we'll get it or not. Fortunately, I have 9 segments between Oct. 15 and December 15, all told. So I just registered and I don't really care if I get it or not. It woul dbe nice though, becuase my girlfriend will be going away to Law School next fall.
Old Oct 27, 2000, 2:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I signed up also. While it would be nice to know if we'll get it or not, it doesn't really matter since I will have 10 segments i this time period. I'll probably do an Escape from CVG to make it 12. It would be really nice if I get Gold.
Old Oct 27, 2000, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
I signed up on the day that the post was originally made.

I called Delta last night, and I was not yet registered. The agent told me that I *definitely* did NOT get registered, and that I needed to re-register.

So, it appears that it's a no-go for me at least. Too bad.
Old Oct 28, 2000, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
All,

Here's the scoop. A supervisor/manager checked up on the offer last night for me. (Please note that this offer is unknown to most of the customer service rep, so don't get upset if they think you're smoking something.) All she said was that if you have called and registered, then you are in the promo. Don't call and ask whether you're in or not; they have no way of checking this, until you have flown that 6 segs to reach Silver, or 12 segs to reach Gold. At that time, the computer would show whether you've gotten the status from actually flying the usual requirement or through such "challenge". (they actually know whether you get comp'ed status last year or not)

But until then, they will not be able to see anything about this promo in your account no matter how hard you press them, so I would save that phone call until AFTER you complete your segments (I spent 30 mins on hold so that you don't have to). My personal advice would be just fly them as planned. If you get the status, great; but in the gravely event you don't BUT you have the postcard on hand, send them a copy of it along with a short letter explaining your case. If you don't have a postcard..errr...I don't know; get a copy from someone perhaps?

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Thx
Jamester
Old Nov 7, 2000, 12:42 pm

I have an NYC mailing address, called in and registered, and now have gold status after flying the 12 segments. Friday was my 12th segment since registering, and I am now listed on the website as gold, and on my 2 flights yesterday I received the gold bonus.

My 6th segment after registering for the promotion happened to coincide with my 30th overall segment for the year, so I was uncertain if the promotion worked until today Mmy flights are all low on mileage, so I am certain that my new status is due to the promotion.
Old Nov 7, 2000, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Endor - EXCELLENT. I'm glad to see that nothwithstanding all the speculation that people would not get the status, that you did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.