Catch 22 on medallion bonus miles.

Old Oct 25, 00, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Catch 22 on medallion bonus miles.

I had enough base miles posted to my account Monday of this week to bring me to the next medallion level. In addition, I have a flight this coming Friday. When I checked online, the base miles were posted in my account, however the new medallion status and the upgrades were not.

I called DL and was informed that they post new medallion levels only once a week on Saturday. I would NOT receive the additional bonus miles for my new medallion level on this Friday's trip as the computer update for medallion levels is the day after my flight.

Has this ever happened to anyone, and were you able to get DL to adjust the miles in your account to reflect the bonus miles that you are entitled to? This is a classic Catch 22, and the phone agent refused to budge on this issue. I think that my argument is a valid one, what is your take on this?
Old Oct 25, 00, 6:43 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. They explained it to me this way....

We 'run the tape" late Saturday night-early Sunday morning and it is after this that they will be reflected in you account. If you ask me this is another reason why DL has lost me and quite a few of my friends. I stopped flying DL when they announced their decision to chabge SWU's. I am now a UA PE (Star Gold) and will be a 1k by the 1st week in December.

DL just sent me a mailing saying "we have noticed you are not flying with us like you did." hehe They have this right. I still have about 350K skymiles (after giving away quite a few tickets) and I can say UA is the best product on the market today and they offer F-class!!

Just my $.02

------------------
UA PE, NW Gold, DL Gold
Old Oct 25, 00, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

FlyingRev, right now, UA is not an option because of where I live and travel to. I am in NYC and go to Florida (FLL, PBI & MCO), LAX, DTW and Europe in that order. Perhaps AA or CO is in the future.

Right now I am upset on the principle of this issue. Can you imagine if this was an international trip and all of the legs were completed before their Saturday update? Whether it is a 1000 mile flight or a 10,000 mile flight, you should get the bonus miles if the base miles are in your account.
Originally posted by FlyingRev:
I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. They explained it to me this way....

We 'run the tape" late Saturday night-early Sunday morning and it is after this that they will be reflected in you account. If you ask me this is another reason why DL has lost me and quite a few of my friends. I stopped flying DL when they announced their decision to chabge SWU's. I am now a UA PE (Star Gold) and will be a 1k by the 1st week in December.

DL just sent me a mailing saying "we have noticed you are not flying with us like you did." hehe They have this right. I still have about 350K skymiles (after giving away quite a few tickets) and I can say UA is the best product on the market today and they offer F-class!!

Just my $.02

Old Oct 25, 00, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
flown on delta flight 205 atl to lax on oct 19th as silver medallion on thursday,originally in coach k class upgrade never came through by the way, On sat 21st of october new gold medallion was posted to account,got 125% medallion bonus on the way to lax, here's my point departed lax on sunday the 22nd of october as a new elite gold status, by the way upgrade never came through either even as a gold medallion(very dissapointed 1st flight as gold went down in my book as couldn't upgrade),however got all bonus all 100% due to gold the final leg of my trip total bonus was 6500 miles.credit to account at the end of each segment.
Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
I had enough base miles posted to my account Monday of this week to bring me to the next medallion level. In addition, I have a flight this coming Friday. When I checked online, the base miles were posted in my account, however the new medallion status and the upgrades were not.

I called DL and was informed that they post new medallion levels only once a week on Saturday. I would NOT receive the additional bonus miles for my new medallion level on this Friday's trip as the computer update for medallion levels is the day after my flight.

Has this ever happened to anyone, and were you able to get DL to adjust the miles in your account to reflect the bonus miles that you are entitled to? This is a classic Catch 22, and the phone agent refused to budge on this issue. I think that my argument is a valid one, what is your take on this?

------------------
Old Oct 25, 00, 8:49 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
I think this is an unfortunate circumstance, but one that you have very little choice. I have an 'angel' who works in the customer service department. She has done me many a favor over the years, and I have blessed her with gifts too. I believe that there is really nothing she could do either. I will check with her and see....
Old Oct 25, 00, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

FlyingRev, thanks for the assist. It's amazing that they cannot override a computer program. Perhaps I should ask for comp miles instead, as I will plead my case again.
Originally posted by FlyingRev:
I think this is an unfortunate circumstance, but one that you have very little choice. I have an 'angel' who works in the customer service department. She has done me many a favor over the years, and I have blessed her with gifts too. I believe that there is really nothing she could do either. I will check with her and see....
Old Oct 25, 00, 9:57 pm

Call back and speak to a customer service supervisor. This is a piddly thing for DL to not give in to. If you can't get this resolved, email me with the details and I will give it a shot with some friends in ATL.

I sincerely believe that the second time you call, it will be resolved. If not...bad choice by DL and I would write a quick short letter to someone. I am sure when "someone in charge" reads it, they will go "this makes no sense why he didn't get his miles" and make it happen. It will make him/her aware of kinks in the system. I would hope he would appreciate you letting him know.
Old Oct 25, 00, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

DLPlat, I intend to call again. I was shocked to hear the logic behind the response that was given to me. It seems that Hal from 2001 has taken over the DL computer system or is it 5 Easy Pieces with no substitution?
Originally posted by DLPlat BAGold:
Call back and speak to a customer service supervisor. This is a piddly thing for DL to not give in to. If you can't get this resolved, email me with the details and I will give it a shot with some friends in ATL.

I sincerely believe that the second time you call, it will be resolved. If not...bad choice by DL and I would write a quick short letter to someone. I am sure when "someone in charge" reads it, they will go "this makes no sense why he didn't get his miles" and make it happen. It will make him/her aware of kinks in the system. I would hope he would appreciate you letting him know.
Old Oct 26, 00, 8:09 am

You might want to ask the gate agent about an upgrade. The agent might give it to you anyway if he understands the situation. It's a long shot and with your flight on Friday first class is usually full but it doesn't hurt to ask. I would think a letter to Delta would get the bonus miles for you.
Old Oct 26, 00, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
This exact thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. I flew on the weekend of 9/30, and reached my Medallion level on 10/1 (Sunday). The next Thursday, I flew RDU>SFO (2500 miles). The bonus miles were not credited for this segment, but were credited for the segments I flew on Sunday.

I had foreseen this situation and had called numerous times to verify that I would get the bonus miles on the Thursday segments. Each time I was told, "as _soon_ as you reach 25,000 miles, ANY subsequent segments will be probably registered and the full bonus given." When that didn't happen, I called again, and was given the story that you were told. At that time, the agent said, "well, since you were told that you'd get the bonus miles on the Thursday segment, we'll give them to you now." They haven't posted (on-line at least) to my account yet.
Old Oct 26, 00, 11:13 pm

This is one of those flukes of the system that I always hated trying to explain, but something that I never found anyone with the authority and willingness to change. Truthfully, very few people even notice it or if they do notice, don't worry enough to call and complain over it. And, since they started printing it in the rules book, i has become harder to get someone to consider over-riding it. But, I'd try again if I were you, you never know when you'll get the right person that understands what a dumb thing it is.
Old Oct 26, 00, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks DLGirl for your post. It is not only the principle of this issue that ticks me off, but you really are losing miles that you are entitled to.

Is there a way that they can issue comp miles if you technically can't change the rule book?
Originally posted by AnotherDLGrl:
This is one of those flukes of the system that I always hated trying to explain, but something that I never found anyone with the authority and willingness to change. Truthfully, very few people even notice it or if they do notice, don't worry enough to call and complain over it. And, since they started printing it in the rules book, i has become harder to get someone to consider over-riding it. But, I'd try again if I were you, you never know when you'll get the right person that understands what a dumb thing it is.
Old Oct 31, 00, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

I called again today and reached a supervisor who agreed with my argument. However since she could not change the way they post the bonus miles and the timing of new medallion listings on Saturday, she comped me with 1,000 "good will" miles which was more than I had lost originally.

I appreciated her honesty with admitting the flaw in their posting system and the way that she made sure I was satisifed.
Originally posted by AnotherDLGrl:
Old Nov 1, 00, 12:58 pm

You should be able to call Delta up and get treated as a Silver Medallion as soon as you land. I did this in 1998, when I first turned Silver.

I go Platinum on Thursday, and I have been told by three different CSRs that I should be able to call in after landing, get a CSR to confirm that I have completed flight #100, and then have them immediately upgrade the next six flights I already have booked.

It is true that they "run the tape" on Saturday, so you won't actually see the data on delta.com, but any CSR should be able to pull up your record and confirm that you are actually Silver, even though you don't pop up that way in the system.

Word of warning on your miles -- watch 'em carefully, as I have had problems getting mileage credited automatically. Delta's about 9,000 miles behind in crediting my account, and that's solely trip mileage, not partner activity.

Short answer -- I think your complaint is valid, and I think a decent CSR will agree with you.
Old Dec 4, 00, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Sorry to add a post to this thread again, but I have another question. If you get updated at 28,000 miles instead of 25,000 because of the Saturday night update, does that mean that all of the 800 mile segment upgrades get posted every 10,000 miles starting at 28,000?

Also does that also mean that GM get posted at 53,000 miles instead of 50,000 or does the GM posting depend on the Saturday update and kicks in exactly at 50,000 if the mileage coincides with the Saturday computer run?

Search this Thread