Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'Last In - First Out' Rule

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2000, 6:15 am
Original Poster

The 'Last In - First Out' Rule

A couple questions about this rule of Delta's.

It is not considered a break in the routing that exceeds four hours if one creates an itinerary where one of your connections lands so late as to miss the last flight of the day to the next destination of your trip and you take the first flight out the next morning to that destination.

For example, a flight from Miami to ATL that lands at 8 PM would miss the 7:15 PM (and last one of the day) for Hartford, CT. A passenger could then overnight and go out on the 7:15 AM Hartford flight the next morning without penalty.

Use of this rule is very advantageous, especially when trying to use award seats. While it might be hard to get a free seat from ATL to SLC at 5 PM on any given day, it is not too hard to get such a seat at 9 AM.

My questions, after this long discourse, are:

1. Can one set up an itinerary on the DL website using such a 'last in, first out' break and have price accordingly? My experience is that it takes a DL res agent or travel agent to do such a feat.

2. Have many fellow FTs needed this rule for awards and been successful at it?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2000, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
To my knowledge, the website won't price using this rule, nor do the Computerized Res Systems used by travel agents. I believe it has to be done manually by a Delta res agent.
Old Nov 16, 2000, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Travel Agents have the ability to do this as well.

Sometimes you need to educate the reservation agent about this rule and then they have to go off and find the entry to force the connection in the system so it prices correctly

TW
Old Nov 20, 2000, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Not only in this situation, but, in my experience, the web site won't recognize things like a senior discount, bereavement fares, etc. You need a TA or direct contact with Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.