Medallion level - using

Old Oct 31, 00, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Medallion level - using

I just reached 27,000 base miles. I noticed that online I am still just listed as a Skymile member. Does this get changed to Silver Medallion? Do I start getting my bonus miles right away? How long before I received any materials from Delta? I'm thinking of the new reservation number to call for upgrades. Sorry for all of the questions, but I can't seem to find any info from Delta.
Old Oct 31, 00, 8:37 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Your status gets updated Saturday evening. However, you can begin using your Medallion status now; you just need to call the # on the back of your card. Not sure if the points are available yet. They will be online Sunday morning. You'll need to call if you need to upgrade sooner. Also, you'll need to call and get your existing reservations touched up to reflect your new status. Congratulations!

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Oct 31, 00, 8:49 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Spiff is especially correct about updating your existing reservations. Unless you call and request that your SM status be reflected on previously booked tickets, your boarding pass won't reflect your SM status and if you haven't received your new SM card before your next flight, you will not get priority boarding. This also holds true for the priority tags they put on your luggage.

Originally posted by whynotniwot:
I just reached 27,000 base miles. I noticed that online I am still just listed as a Skymile member. Does this get changed to Silver Medallion? Do I start getting my bonus miles right away? How long before I received any materials from Delta? I'm thinking of the new reservation number to call for upgrades. Sorry for all of the questions, but I can't seem to find any info from Delta.
[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-31-2000).]
Old Oct 31, 00, 10:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ack.... Might you want to edit that last post w/the # in it? They will give him the SM # over the phone by calling 800-221-1212.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Oct 31, 00, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about how long does it take to get the new card, promo stuff,etc. from Delta. Do I need these to show the agents so I can use the medallion check in line? Or will the agent look it up and cut me slack. Given the lowering of medallion benefits, priority check-in may be the only real perk I get.
Old Oct 31, 00, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold/2MM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the information. I was wondering about how long does it take to get the new card, promo stuff,etc. from Delta.
Don't hold your breath, it can take a long time. Likey not until January. But you never know, I have waited as long as two months and had them show up as quick as two weeks in the past.
Do I need these to show the agents so I can use the medallion check in line?
I have never shown my Skymiles card to any agent ever, so I would suspect not.
Or will the agent look it up and cut me slack.
It should be in your record. And of course, for priority boarding, the gate agent will look at the boarding pass. Your status should appear immediately above your skymiles number on the boarding pass.
Given the lowering of medallion benefits, priority check-in may be the only real perk I get.
It is likey some day you will be able to upgrade to First if you have a qualifying fare.Can't hurt to try.

[This message has been edited by Dataton (edited 10-31-2000).]
Old Oct 31, 00, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Be careful not to expect status mileage bonus credit for flights BETWEEN achieving status and the Saturday night update. You won't get it!

In my case, it's only 125 miles minimum bonus that I have 'lost'. If it had been a Transatlantic or Transpacific, I would be very angry indeed!
Old Oct 31, 00, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Roger, I had that same problem and called and complained. A supervisor comped me with a 1000 mile "good will" award to make up for the lost miles which were less than what she gave to me. Call and make sure that you speak to a supervisor when you make your case.
Originally posted by Roger:
Be careful not to expect status mileage bonus credit for flights BETWEEN achieving status and the Saturday night update. You won't get it!

In my case, it's only 125 miles minimum bonus that I have 'lost'. If it had been a Transatlantic or Transpacific, I would be very angry indeed!
Old Nov 1, 00, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, Rssrsvp. I'll follow your advice.

I have already sent 3 e-mail messages and had 3 responses (which look like form responses). I'll phone this time!
Old Nov 1, 00, 1:02 pm

I flew 5 or 6 segments between when I reached SM in June and when they actually registered it in the sytem. I flew a bunch more before they gave me any segment upgrade points. I would like to get the base miles for those segments I flew after I qualified for SM to count towards the base miles for an SWU. I am marginal on whether I'll fly enough miles to earn my one SWU before the end of February cuttoff, and I want to be sure to make it. Does anyone else have experience with this? Have you been succesful in getting base miles you flew after you EARNED the status but before they recognized it to count toward SWU's and segment upgrades? Of course I also lost out on some mileage bonuses, but that would only be about 1,000 miles and less of an issue for me. If anyone's had success with this, please let me know as that will inspire me to try harder for it. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 00, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Well, I am pleased to report that Delta has already changed my online status to SM. I am listed as having 0 points in the 800 mile upgrade table. I thought that there were suppose to be "complimentary" upgrades. What does this mean? I see where I can purchase them. How do I ge my free "complimentary" upgrades?
Also, with the SM status, do I have the ability to ask the ticket/gate agent to put me on a list for upgrade when I check in? Do you get this upgrade without using points if a seat is available?

Questions of a newbie. Thanks for all of the help.
Old Nov 2, 00, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
I am listed as having 0 points in the 800 mile upgrade table. I thought that there were suppose to be "complimentary" upgrades.
They are. IIRC you get 4 points when you make SM, then 4 points every 10,000 base miles thereafter.

Also, with the SM status, do I have the ability to ask the ticket/gate agent to put me on a list for upgrade when I check in? Do you get this upgrade without using points if a seat is available?
You can upgrade from upgradable fares in four ways:
- pay the fare difference
- use a systemwide upgrade (SWU)
- use miles
- use 800-mile points

As an SM, you can get your name put on the upgrade list 24hrs before your flight. To get on the list, you have to use one of the above methods; if you're using points, SWUs, or miles, your upgrade may not clear until 10 minutes before the flight (if then).

Questions of a newbie. Thanks for all of the help.[/B][/QUOTE]

Old Nov 2, 00, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by paulr:
They are. IIRC you get 4 points when you make SM, then 4 points every 10,000 base miles thereafter

Paulr, what does IIRC mean? Does this mean my point total should show 4 points initially?
Old Nov 2, 00, 7:14 pm

Whynotniwot, you will get 4 free upgrade points now that you've made SM. I don't recall exactly how long it takes. As I mentioned above, I flew 5 segments in the week after I made SM and got no bonuses or upgrades for them because the computer had not yet upgraded me to SM (they do this on Saturdays, and I made SM on a Saturday, so it took til the following one. But even after that I had to wait a long time before they gave me upgrade points. I called in about it a couple times. Don't know if that helped. I seem to recall I'd alreday flown 10 segments as an SM before they'd given me any upgrade points. Hope you have better luck!
Old Nov 2, 00, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC

Paulr, what does IIRC mean?
Sorry. IIRC = "if I remember correctly".

Search this Thread