Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

MM Status to matter in 2001 and LAX Developments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MM Status to matter in 2001 and LAX Developments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2000, 3:45 pm

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
Three thousand, four hundred and twenty-seven posts???

How'd you get the little goober thing under the "c" in facade?
Old Nov 8, 2000, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RRWhite questions:
Three thousand, four hundred and twenty-seven posts???
I guess so. And every one of them a top notch quality post...like this one!

How'd you get the little goober thing under the "c" in facade?
Spčçiĺl bit map programińg in my rëply. Ănd if you dôn't buy that, then it just çame ňut that way after spell çheck.

Ok, ok, really (for Windows95): Start/Programs/Accesories/Character Map

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 11-08-2000).]
Old Nov 8, 2000, 5:10 pm

PremEx --

My apologies. I certainly didn't mean to offend you; since you usually post primarily on the UA board, I (wrongly) assumed you were offering your opinions about DL without actually flying DL. Again, my apologies, and, of course you have every right to criticize your/our program (God knows, there's lots to criticize ).

As a DL PM and a UA 1K, however, I believe that the DL program is slightly better (for now), for the same reasons I posted above (free lounge access, unlimited upgrade certs, and no 100-hour rule on the upgrade), none of which are offered by UA.

Yes, to be fair, I manage to upgrade most of the time on UA (although I've been unable to attain your 100% rate), and they often don't take my upgrade certs (we'll see how this changes when they go electronic).

BUT, I manage to upgrade 100% of the time on DL (probably because I can do it at time of booking), and there's NEVER any certs to deal with (because they're not required). Plus, FREE access to both the UA RCC and the DL CR.

Granted, DL's program is declining. Fast. And United's has remained unchanged for several years. So, yes, looking at the trends, DL's VIP-elite levels will be at the same level (or lower) than other airlines'. Delta is destroying the one asset/perk where it has a clear and definite advantage over other airlines. I believe it will soon be "just like one of the others", including UA.

Just MHO. Thanks (and sorry, again, PremEx).
Old Nov 8, 2000, 5:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Originally posted by PremEx:
But then again they only get Lifetime Premier Executive status with it's 100% bonus miles and all related priviledges (72 hour upgrades, Star Allicance Gold worldwide lounge access, etc.)

I'm sure Delta Million Milers get at least that lifetime status level, right?
A DL MM can only wish. Unfortunately, being MM on DL means lifetime SM only (25% mileage bonus, Priority waitlist status, special check-in privileges, preferred seating, preferred boarding, waived blackout dates, etc.). I wish I had studied most of the majors' FF programs before I first started flying very frequently.
Old Nov 8, 2000, 5:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I too wish I had waiting before flying like crazy in becoming a MM. My status only means something with my PM status, but if I was not a PM, I certainly wouldn't have the same benfits as a million miler in UA's program for example (Premier Executive vs Silver Medallion in DL's program).
Old Nov 8, 2000, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank You Lootsy1031.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 11:00 am
Original Member

As PremEx said, in reality United 1Ks can confirm upgrades at time of booking---at least this is the case now. With the new electronic upgrades it may cease. Likewise, I have always had plenty of upgrade certs with plenty to hand out to friends and never bought any or used miles since becoming 1K.

As for club membership, do you think the $150 you save by getting it free is more valuable than the ability to upgrade the cheapest fares? Or upgrade companions?

I don't think Delta is a bad airline at all. I happen to think United and Continental have the best domestic F service (pretty much a tie), with food better than Delta. But Delta does not have an attractive FF program and it's getting worse.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
There seems to be a "fourth" tier of the United program, after 1K -- "1K's who have learned to play the system".

I think the current published benefits of PM are better than the published benefits of 1K.

But the 1K's who are aggressive and learn the tricks do better. I know quite a few 1K's who are fairly clueless and rarely reap much of the benefits of some of the FT pros.

Delta doesn't have that many tricks at the PM level, making it a fairer playing field.
Old Nov 10, 2000, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Being that we're all smart, the unfairer the playing field, the better for us.
Old Nov 10, 2000, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It goes to a bit of personality, too -- as a PM, I
1) have NEVER mentioned my status (or use the word "Platinum") to any employee of Delta.

2). have never waved or even shown my PM card to any employee of Delta.

3). have never had to unsincerely shmooze any gate agent, CRC agent, check-in agent, baggage agent or telephone agent of Delta, nor bribe them with chocolates, nor have to call them "angels". I have never had to ask for an exception, a waiver, a favor or bat my long eyelashes at them.

And I always get upgraded.

[This message has been edited by opus17 (edited 11-10-2000).]
Old Nov 10, 2000, 3:38 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You got a point there, opus17.

Before making Medallion, I always got the Emergency Exit seat on the transatlantic flights, while the guys before me didn't get them. A little smile and a good mood helps more than any plastic card.

(I just have my Medallion luggage tags on my baggage so that it can be more easily retrieved if getting lost in a place like CDG...last time, they ripped of the destination tags @ AF. But then too, it comes down to your personality whether the agent will be more helpful or not.)
Old Nov 10, 2000, 4:23 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
My sources at DL tell me that MM=SM, plain and simple. However, an angent may be more helpful if you are MM then SM or GM if he or she feels like being helpful. As far as the computer is concerned, a MM is a SM unless that MM is actually a GM or PM for the year. There are no plans to change this as far as my source knows. The comment I heard was something like, Delta is concerned about making money today, who knows what will happen in the future with all of the FF changes, and MM seem to be thought of more like their revenue today, not the past.
Old Nov 12, 2000, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've moved the thread-drifted discussion of PM vs. 1K to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/003604.html

Old Nov 12, 2000, 10:51 pm
In Memoriam

Originally posted by JRF:
My sources at DL tell me that MM=SM, plain and simple. However, an angent may be more helpful if you are MM then SM or GM if he or she feels like being helpful. As far as the computer is concerned, a MM is a SM unless that MM is actually a GM or PM for the year.
I don't know if it got me anything special but I have had res agents refer to the MM status (one referred to me as a "many miler") and on a number of occasions an FA mention it. Recently, one FA actually stopped by my seat and thanked me at the end of the flight for being a million miler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.