Any rhyme or reason behind seat selection?

Old Nov 1, 00, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Any rhyme or reason behind seat selection?

Hoping to snag a better seat on some of my upcoming flights, I've been cruising seat maps and watching how they're filling up.

On one flight, seats seem to be going in no particular order -- there are holes all over the place.

Yet on others (both AF and DL, int'l and domestic), seats seem to be alloted in a very regular -- and strange -- pattern. Two rows worth of seats will be filled, followed by two totally empty rows, followed by two filled rows, over and over. Newly selected seats, with some exceptions, seem to fill partially full rows before touching the 2-row blocks of empties.

What's up with that?

Elektrik <- in a full row, unfortunately
Old Nov 1, 00, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Delta seems to block out rows of seats and releases them as time goes by. Not all of the unavailable seats are taken - they may be blocked off and then released, possibly in groups, as the flight approaches.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Nov 1, 00, 7:36 pm

I've always been told they save large blocks for familys with small children. Too bad those blocks aren't the ones in the back of the plane.
Old Nov 1, 00, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Especially travel to and from MCO!
Originally posted by the scribbler:
I've always been told they save large blocks for familys with small children. Too bad those blocks aren't the ones in the back of the plane.
Old Nov 1, 00, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Well on one flight of mine, this 2-rows-on-two-rows-off symmetry has the back 2 rows filled, so if what Spiff said about unavailable seats not actually being taken is correct (and I'm not doubting you, Spiff ), then that may be the case, I suppose. These rows could be blocked off until they're specifically requested for families, and just released like normal if not requested by a certain date.

Elektrik
Old Nov 2, 00, 8:15 am

Hear, hear! Back of the plane gets my vote as well, especially since I'm usually in the exit row.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Nov 2, 00, 9:53 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
"Back" as in "behind the First/Coach divider"? Sounds good. I think airlines do that already.

On the other hand, if you buy a Coach ticket, don't complain about being surrounded by the horrid "Coach" passengers. It's the same CLASS!
Old Nov 2, 00, 10:35 am

No, "back" as in "as far towards the tail of the plane as possible".

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Nov 2, 00, 1:12 pm
JS
Suspended

So families should be required to sit in the back of the plane, even though it's the same class (i.e. COACH)? How so?
Old Nov 2, 00, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Originally posted by JS:
So families should be required to sit in the back of the plane, even though it's the same class (i.e. COACH)? How so?
Well, at my local church the convention is that families with small kids sit in the back to cluster all of the disturbances into one area, instead of spreading them around
Old Nov 2, 00, 1:59 pm

1)They often need more time to board. First to board after 1st class and Medallion is... the back of the plane.

2)They often take longer to deplane. Rather than holding up others, have them deplane after others have deplaned.

3)A family of X people usually pays less for X seats than when X adults fill X seats. Since the "premium" seats for high-rev/high-frequency travelers are in the front... (yes, I know some families might qualify for the latter category, but it's the exception rather than the rule.)

Originally posted by JS:

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Nov 2, 00, 2:18 pm

It also has to do with weight distribution.
Old Nov 2, 00, 3:49 pm
JS
Suspended

<< 1)They often need more time to board. First to board after 1st class and Medallion is... the back of the plane. >>

Correct; pre-boarding is after F class and FF status.

<< 2)They often take longer to deplane. Rather than holding up others, have them deplane after others have deplaned. >>

Even better, the F/A can ask those who don't have connections to stay seated until the exit queue starts moving.

<< 3)A family of X people usually pays less for X seats than when X adults fill X seats. Since the "premium" seats for high-rev/high-frequency travelers are in the front... (yes, I know some families might qualify for the latter category, but it's the exception rather than the rule.) >>

I agree; usually families don't get seats at the front of coach. "Premium Coach" is unofficially a different class (higher fares, quicker boarding/deplaning).
Old Nov 3, 00, 8:32 am

I've had that happen a couple of times where the flight was late. It worked a little; some people did remain seated until everyone w/connections (or didn't listen) deplaned. I think they ought to do this more often, especially with some of those "valid connection times" at their hubs.

Originally posted by JS:
[B]Even better, the F/A can ask those who don't have connections to stay seated until the exit queue starts moving.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.

Search this Thread