Best route to LAS?

Old Oct 10, 00, 7:20 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Best route to LAS?

For the end of December , and starting in NYC, what is the best route to LAS? I had posted a thread earlier comparing PDX and SLC, however a friend suggested CVG which has Ft.#724 that departs at 9:10 AM. Any thoughts on this? I would like to be in Vegas no later than mid afternoon.

PDX was the most popular choice in the 1st thread.

My main concerns are the weather at the connecting city for end December and the ontime record of that airport. I can leave from LGA, JFK or EWR.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-10-2000).]
Old Oct 10, 00, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I grew up in Cincinnati. CVG is one of the nation's best located hubs, as it hardly ever sees any major weather delays, and never does during December. It only snows there once or twice a year usually, and that isn't until late January and into February. In 18 years growing up there, we only had one white Christmas. Furtehrmore, CVG has excellent facilities for the times when weather does go bad, and there are very few delays.
Old Oct 10, 00, 8:03 am

Have you considered simply going to DL's website and looking at the schedule there? When you punch in a route it will give you the flights from quickest to slowest within the time period you specified.

If you don't mind getting up early, you can be in LAS by 10:25 by this route:
DL 401 dep EWR 0600 arr CVG 0755 727
DL 724 dep CVG 0910 arr LAS 1025 757

Old Oct 10, 00, 8:19 am
Original Poster

HRGM, I mentioned DL724 in my posting and can connect to it from both LGA & EWR. I was worried about the weather and how ontime CVG is, as I have never flown through there.

Also if any FT members felt strongly for either PDX or SLC over it for connecting. The last thread that I had posted gave PDX the winning vote over SLC. I wanted to get a consenus on CVG.

Originally posted by HRGM:
Have you considered simply going to DL's website and looking at the schedule there? When you punch in a route it will give you the flights from quickest to slowest within the time period you specified.

If you don't mind getting up early, you can be in LAS by 10:25 by this route:
DL 401 dep EWR 0600 arr CVG 0755 727
DL 724 dep CVG 0910 arr LAS 1025 757

Old Oct 10, 00, 10:45 am

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
I was one of the ones voting for SLC in the previous thread, but CVG works, too. IMHO, PDX doesn't have enough backup flights to suit me in case things go wrong (of course, that never happens). Don't get me wrong, it's a great airport with a great Crown Room, but the other two have it beat.

On another thought, you have my sympathy trying to fly out of NYC. I've been working thru LGA recently, and I can tell you that it has not been a pretty picture from ATL. Too many flights get canceled and the rest are rarely on time. I'm gonna try JFK next and see if that's any better.
Old Oct 10, 00, 10:55 am
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
JFK is much better than LGA, for lots of reasons. It has much better performance in bad weather, particularly. The number of flights is smaller, however, and it's a longer trek into Manhattan. Don't forget the possibility of EWR, although the recent shutdown of the monorail has been a big problem, in my opinion.

Bruce
Old Oct 10, 00, 4:19 pm

Just got back to PDX from LAS. We took DL 521 on the outbound trip. The flight was delayed 2 hours due to late inbound aircraft.

(Suggestion to Delta: How about letting Elites into the CRC when the flight is delayed more than 1 hour due to mechanical problems?)

Anyway, once on the plane, we had the best service I've ever seen on Delta. It was the NY based flight crew. We upgraded to F, not hard to do, even on a Friday night. I cannot remember the last time a flight attendant addressed me by name at each interaction. (Oh, actually I can, when we flew F to HNL, they come by with the PM and then they try to (mis)pronounce your name right in front of you... "Hello, Mr, Mr, SM-I-TH? Is that it? Did I get that right?")

Most professional staff I've seen on Delta. Don't know why they're stuck on such a short run, but they made it a really nice experience.

On the return, we went via SLC, again inbound aircraft late (only 45 min this time) and barely made our connection to PDX, although they had us protected on the next flight out (2 hours later).

[This message has been edited by pdx_dr (edited 10-10-2000).]
Old Oct 10, 00, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Backup flights is a major issue to me also. I am tempted to take the following:
DL1429 JFK-SLC departs 7:00, arrives 9:57
DL1485 SLC-LAS departs 11:40, arrives 12:02
This way I have a large enough window for delays leaving JFK. Also the next flight out of SLC, DL1895 departs 5:40, and arrives 6:01 PM.
Originally posted by RRWhite:
I was one of the ones voting for SLC in the previous thread, but CVG works, too. IMHO, PDX doesn't have enough backup flights to suit me in case things go wrong (of course, that never happens). Don't get me wrong, it's a great airport with a great Crown Room, but the other two have it beat.

On another thought, you have my sympathy trying to fly out of NYC. I've been working thru LGA recently, and I can tell you that it has not been a pretty picture from ATL. Too many flights get canceled and the rest are rarely on time. I'm gonna try JFK next and see if that's any better.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 10-10-2000).]

Search this Thread