Elite Status

Old Oct 7, 00, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Elite Status

Could someone tell me what is meant by "Platinum Elite" printed on my boarding card? I have asked in the Crown Room and on the 1 800 number and no one seems to know what it means. Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 00, 7:30 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.9MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
About 2 weeks ago, the new term started showing up on boarding passes. Instead of Gold Medallion, Platinum Medallion, the new Gold Elite, Platinum Elite has been printed. We all now have SkyTeam Elite status.
Old Oct 7, 00, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I hadn't noticed this until this thread, so I went back to look at my boarding passes for this week. Sure enough, they now have "Platinum/Elite Plus". I am a PM/MM. So what's the difference between Platinum/Elite Plus and just Platinum/Elite?
Old Oct 7, 00, 1:28 pm
Original Member

JeffreyT:

You are honored enough to be worthy of priority attention by the likes of AF, AM and KE now that you as a PM are a Sky Team Elite Plus member!
Old Oct 7, 00, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
We are all considered to be worthy of this "great honor" while they cut back on the perks of the Sky Miles program
Old Oct 7, 00, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
We are all considered to be worthy of this "great honor" while they cut back on the perks of the Sky Miles program
That's because SkyTeam cares more about us. I read it in their ads, so I know it's true.

Old Oct 9, 00, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Now I do not know what is the difference between Elite and Elite Plus!? At the end of the day it does not seem to matter at all! Indeed those I asked at Delta in Atlanta were quite bemused.

As far as the Sky Team business is concerned let me just say that I had the unfortunate experience of flying back to Atlanta from Nice (France) recently. Although a code share flight with Delta I ended up having to pay for the Nice-Paris segment again on check-in at Nice and claiming it back at Delta in Paris. I was chekcing in at 5.30am in Nice with Air France and the Delta desk was not open. The Air France staff at Nice were completely clueless as to the Sky Team scheme.

South African Airways in Johannesburg were the same last month although I gather SAA is not part of the Sky Team but does Code Share. Four weeks on and still waiting for credit on my Delta Sky Miles!

Needless to say I am quite unimpressed so far. Time will tell!
Old Oct 9, 00, 7:13 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
Elite and Elite Plus are the two levels of Elite memebership in the SkyTeam deal. Platinums on Delta are automatically Elite Plus on SkyTeam. Silvers on Delta are Elite on SkyTeam. I can't remember where Golds fit.

As far as benefits, at this point I see nothing tangible.

Personally, I would prefer to see the old MM/PM on my boarding pass rather than "Platinum/Elite Plus" like it is now showing.
Old Oct 9, 00, 8:03 am
Original Member

GMs are "only" Sky Team Elite. Not too good a deal for them considering:

1) AA Plats receive oneworld Sapphire whilst UA PremExs receive Star Gold. Both offer superior benefits to Sky Team Elite.
2) AF Frequence Plus members need only fly 40,000 miles on Sky Team to receive Sky Team Elite Plus status (if they live outside France.) AM Club Premier Platino must fly 50,000 miles on the Sky Team members and earn Sky Team Elite Plus status.

Overheard part of one of those Sky Team TV ads the other day. I think it said "(Sky Team) providing its frequent flyers with superior benefits (to other airline alliances)." Definitely not so for DL GMs.

[This message has been edited by leroy11 (edited 10-09-2000).]
Old Oct 9, 00, 8:29 am
Original Poster

What benefits do I get as a Platinum member with Sky Team?
Originally posted by leroy11:
GMs are "only" Sky Team Elite. Not too good a deal for them considering:

1) AA Plats receive oneworld Sapphire whilst UA PremExs receive Star Gold. Both offer superior benefits to Sky Team Elite.
2) AF Frequence Plus members need only fly 40,000 miles on Sky Team to receive Sky Team Elite Plus status (if they live outside France.) AM Club Premier Platino must fly 50,000 miles on the Sky Team members and earn Sky Team Elite Plus status.

Overheard part of one of those Sky Team TV ads the other day. I think it said "(Sky Team) providing its frequent flyers with superior benefits (to other airline alliances)." Definitely not so for DL GMs.

[This message has been edited by leroy11 (edited 10-09-2000).]
Old Oct 9, 00, 10:25 am
Original Member

As a Delta Platinum Medallion, you are a Sky Team Elite Plus member and receive:

"As a SkyTeam frequent flyer you have the opportunity to accrue base miles on all SkyTeam flights, redeem miles for mileage awards on any SkyTeam-operated flight, and are eligible for SkyTeam's "Round-the-World" award that enables you to use one ticket for all segments of a multi-member airline journey.

Additionally, as a SkyTeam Elite Plus frequent flyer, you are entitled to these extended reciprocal benefits:

Lounge Access
Guaranteed reservations on sold-out flights
Priority baggage handling
Priority check-in
Preferred seating
Priority boarding
Priority reservation waitlist
Priority airport standby
Elite base mileage accrual"

Source: http://skyteam.com/alliance/en_us/be.../benefits3.htm

Old Oct 9, 00, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

Originally posted by leroy11:
As a Delta Platinum Medallion, you are a Sky Team Elite Plus member and receive:

"As a SkyTeam frequent flyer you have the opportunity to accrue base miles on all SkyTeam flights, redeem miles for mileage awards on any SkyTeam-operated flight, and are eligible for SkyTeam's "Round-the-World" award that enables you to use one ticket for all segments of a multi-member airline journey.

Additionally, as a SkyTeam Elite Plus frequent flyer, you are entitled to these extended reciprocal benefits:

Lounge Access
Guaranteed reservations on sold-out flights
Priority baggage handling
Priority check-in
Preferred seating
Priority boarding
Priority reservation waitlist
Priority airport standby
Elite base mileage accrual"

Source: http://skyteam.com/alliance/en_us/be.../benefits3.htm

Old Oct 9, 00, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'm afraid that the message is the same as it was for the 2001 SWU Elimination/Benefits Downgrade:

If you're not Platinum, then you really don't count.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Oct 9, 00, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, {Hilton, Bonvoy} Gold
Gold Medallion should be renamed "Silver Plus"--with the new plan, the only remaining advantage seems to be the extra time to get segment upgrades.
Old Oct 9, 00, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally posted by Robert Leach:
Personally, I would prefer to see the old MM/PM on my boarding pass rather than "Platinum/Elite Plus" like it is now showing.
Me too!

Search this Thread