Who Gets Served First In First

Old Oct 3, 00, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Who Gets Served First In First

On a flight last week from DFW-SFO, I was in 1B. By the time the FA got to me she said, "Hope you like chicken." I said, "What happened to first choice based on status?" She said, "We don't do that anymore. On odd numbered flights, we go back to front. On even numbered flights, we go front to back." Anybody else heard of or seen this new methodology in effect?

On my SFO-HNL flight, I was in 6B and I was one of the first ones asked. Not sure if this was because of status or because of this new "rule" though.
Old Oct 3, 00, 4:04 am

Yes, in fact, they've been doing the odd/even front/back way for sometime now.

They will normally skip the Non-Revs if they can do so without drawing a lot of attention to it, and they serve us what is left over. And, I've even had them take my order and then come back later and say, "Oops, we ran out of steak and you'll have to have the chicken/fish." So, at least you're only competing with other paying passengers for you choice.
Old Oct 3, 00, 7:40 am

You're right, that's how they do it now. I've always thought DL should add the standard F meal selections to the special meal list.

If you want steak you could call up and request it as a "special meal".

Old Oct 3, 00, 8:10 am
Original Member

Davefr -

That's a very good idea that you wouldn't think would be too tough to do!
Old Oct 3, 00, 8:18 am

I experienced this recently on a flight from PDX to CVG. I was on a non rev ticket and had been upgraded to FC/BE because of PM status. They had 3 meal choices: chicken, steak, and salmon. I asked for salmon and they said they were out of this. I was sitting in 10B. I sure enjoyed everything else, especially the sundae!
Old Oct 3, 00, 10:33 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
I've heard of the policy, but never experienced it. Maybe I just did not pay attention, but seems they always *serve" from the front. Does this only apply to asking for meal choice?
Old Oct 3, 00, 3:35 pm
Original Member

My most recent experience involved taking the orders from front to rear. Then, I got "Gee, I gave away too many steaks (or whatever)." I took the alternative meal and it was great. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Oct 3, 00, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Agreed. The best meal I've had recently on Delta was when I told the F.A. to bring me whatever was left over.
Old Oct 3, 00, 6:58 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"I told the F.A. to bring me whatever was left over."

S.O.P. for me!

When I want good food, I try to go to a good restaurant!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: