Wiki Posts
Search

Delta, sigh...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta MM
Delta, sigh...

I just returned home from my Round-the-World trip. It was amazing and more details will be coming soon. But my immediate thoughts are...

After spending some time on Delta's partners, I really REALLY understand just how bad Delta is. Northwest's new business class was amazingly good. I was extremely impressed. But most of all, now I understand why everyone is so upset about not being able to book Air France's First Class with SkyMiles. Even the OTC FC was worlds better than anything else in the partnership.

Only Al Italia was worse than Delta, which seems to be getting worse and worse. The entire FC Delta cabin I had from MCO - ATL seems like it was pulled from a junkyard. There was literally a full one inch gap between the seat cushions (directly on the back where there is a colored insert cusion up the spine) where you could see the foam from which the seat was constructed. I would have expected more from a greyhound bus. Great FT advice on 7E&F on the Hawaii legs, but domestic configs for Hawaii just don't work well. I shutter at the thought of domestic configs being used for new international flights until they can reconfigure those plans with the woefully inadequate and outdated business class configurations.

At the end of the day, I just keep thinking that someone at Delta must have decided that International routes are more profitable and that they are rushing to move the business in that direction. But after my trip, I am absolutely convinced that they don't have the product to compete effectively for those high margin tickets. Having experienced the competition, I would buy a Delta Business Class ticket only if it were highly discounted from other alternatives. And that, in a nutshell, is what Delta is quickly becoming - the LCC of International Travel. I am convinced they have seen how LCCs have become dominant in the domestic market and since that market is saturated they have decided that the open niche is to apply that same concept to international travel.

All I can say is that the "new Delta" isn't the airline I flew a million miles on and I guarantee you that I'll never make two million. *sigh*
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:04 am

JohnC, sad to say but I'm afraid I have to agee with much of what you've said. The condition of most DL planes in BE (not to mention coach) is hard to take. The CO and NW updated business products are far superior IMHO. I have been a DL loyalist for many years but find myself looking at other options for my future FF endeavors. It's hard to imagine how this kind of deterioration in DL products is EVER going to allow them to become financially solvent when flyers see their options. Alas, it may be time for some of us to move on.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:04 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
ATL LGW Just Fine

Just had a BE atl/lgw round trip on a Boeing 777-200. Nice cabin, great FA's, adrequate food, on-time both ways.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
John C, I totally agree with what you say on NW. I have seen people bash NW WBC before and I really do not know why. Their personel may be a little less friendly than the old DL FAs but the seats are a thousand times better and the aircraft are also much better. I'd rather be in an Airbus A330 with 6 people abreast than a DL 763 with 6 people abreast (For those who do not know, the standard airbus fuselage is wider by about 20inches than the 767).

On your 764 point, it seems we have learned from the online discussion with Jeff Robertson that DL will be putting new BE seats of a new type. At least that is what I am understanding, but I could be wrong. So DL is coming up with a new BE config, but they'd better rush and not take the 3+ years AF is taking to fit them in.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
John C, I totally agree with what you say on NW. I have seen people bash NW WBC before and I really do not know why. Their personel may be a little less friendly than the old DL FAs but the seats are a thousand times better and the aircraft are also much better. I'd rather be in an Airbus A330 with 6 people abreast than a DL 763 with 6 people abreast (For those who do not know, the standard airbus fuselage is wider by about 20inches than the 767).

On your 764 point, it seems we have learned from the online discussion with Jeff Robertson that DL will be putting new BE seats of a new type. At least that is what I am understanding, but I could be wrong. So DL is coming up with a new BE config, but they'd better rush and not take the 3+ years AF is taking to fit them in.
You know, I haven't been on the A330. I am sure it is nice. But there are many of us that isn't really an issue for since we don't cross the pond with any frequency. I am not minimizing the importance of that but I also don't minimize the importance to me of domestic widebodies. I haven't crossed the pond yet but I will sometime but when I do it will still be a once or twice a year proposition whereas domestic operations affect me every week.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
I haven't crossed the pond yet...
Boy, what are you waiting for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.