Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

WARNING: NO SKYMILES FOR OPENING AN E*TRADE ACCOUNT

Old May 21, 2000, 11:45 am
Original Poster

In March 2000 I got an offer to open an E*TRADE account for "up to 50,000 Delta SkyMiles".

I opened an account and entered the Special Offer Code GZU. I never received the (5,000) SkyMiles (for my initial investment).

THIS IS WHAT E*TRADE ANSWERED:

Thank you for choosing E*TRADE.

Upon further review of your account, it does not appear that you
qualify for the Delta promotional offer. Unfortunately your
account was not coded correctly to receive such a promotion. We
value your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

For further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-786-2575 or go
to http://www.etrade.com and visit our Learning Center. You can
access the learning center by clicking on the "help" button
located on the E*TRADE banner at the top of each page. The
Learning Center provides detailed instructions, definitions, and
services to assist you in navigating your E*TRADE account.

Sincerely,

Matthew Kramer
E*TRADE Customer Service
Old May 22, 2000, 8:45 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
You would think they give you the miles and keep the customer, instead of loosing one.
Old May 23, 2000, 5:11 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
thanks for the warning, i was just going to open an account with e-trade, now i wont
Old May 23, 2000, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sorry to hear E*Trade gave you the business. I think you should really pressure them to give you the miles if the mistake is theirs.
I had to call the 800 number a couple of times when setting up my acct. and in the end it paid off.

I got my miles posted about 1 month after opening my account. Now, the wait is on to see if/when the referral miles post.

Good luck and keep fighting.
Old May 23, 2000, 3:12 pm

Three words:

Don't give up!!!!

It is helpful you still have the promotion code. Ask them whey your account was not created that way. The force is with you.

Good luck!
Old May 23, 2000, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Okay, help us to understand why you did not get the miles. What do they mean it was not coded correctly?

By chance was it an IRA type account? Most of these offers do not give you bucks/miles/points when they are IRA.
Old May 24, 2000, 12:30 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
okay, stressfree was right, i remember reading it somewhere that the miles credit did not apply to IRA, SEP or any retirement accounts....
so u might have opened one in that catagory?
Old May 24, 2000, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Stressfree,

1)I think they refer to the offer-letter: '.. and be sure to enter your SPECIAL OFFER CODE: GZU ..'
2) I opened an INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT

I applied for the account on the Internet, I coded it right, and I have a proof/printout.
In other words: my 'docs' are good - they have to credit me the miles.
I'll inform this board if and when I receive the Delta SkyMiles.

I am somewhat reluctant to cancel this account - E*trade works very well with my
Quicken software; online update etc. I like it, it's the future.

I just did not like the 'language' of their answer.
Old Sep 10, 2000, 5:52 am

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
And the saga goes on and on and on! I opened an etrade account on 5/2, with the correct code, etc.etc., and funded it on 5/24. Delta and etrade keep blaming each other for the lack of my 5000 SkyMiles posting. For example, from DL Customer Care "I have forwarded your correspondence to our E*Trade coordinator for handling" or "Your request has been forwarded to our Partner Representative for review". And get this from eTrade (which I forwarded to Delta): "We apologize for the delay in processing of your Delta Skymiles promotion. Delta never acknowledged our original request to credit your account with the miles". Incredible to me that with all of the advertizing that Delta did and still does for etrade,they will not take any ownership for getting miles to post correctly. And if this treatment for a MM/FC/..., heaven forbid how they ignore others requests. Any advice or suggestions? How did you get your miles to post??
Old Sep 10, 2000, 6:47 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Maybe a letter to the SEC? I don't use E-trade, they took 6 weeks or more to answer an e-mail regarding a trade I was going to make. There are several threads on the board, if you do a search, you will find a lot more help.
Old Sep 10, 2000, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I had a similar problem involving Delta and thir partner MCI. MCI offered me 15000 SkyMiles for staying with them (a "retention bonus"). Supposedly they sent this to Delta rpeatedly. Delta said that every time they tried to post it, the MCI liaison refused, saying that I already had received too many bonus miles (13000!). This went on and on, for 5 months, back and forth, including three conference calls, until Delta got tired of it and just posted the 15000 miles on their own.

Bruce
Old Sep 10, 2000, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I finally got the 5,000 SkyMiles posted. Sorry, I should have posted this earlier.
Old Sep 12, 2000, 9:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It took many calls for my miles and my referral miles to get posted but I did indeed get them all in the end. If you are persistent, you will get your miles from them. 1-800-FLOWERS was another story and it wasn't worth fighting them over the miles so now I just will never use them again.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Sep 12, 2000, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
E*Trade is notorious for cheating new customers of their signup bonus miles. I have been victimized and so have a lot of people I know. There was even a very negative WSJ article on this not too long ago.

The usual reason given is "the application wasn't coded properly". In my case, I responded to a targeted direct mail marketing (I filled out the form they sent) so I don't know what else I could have done. After 3 months of trying, I finally gave up and cancelled my account with no miles earned. The funny thing is they gave me referral miles but not my signup miles. Go figure!

Old Sep 13, 2000, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
Well, my 5000 etrade bonus miles showed up in my SkyMiles account today, but only after numerous emails to both Delta and etrade. Now I've got to work on getting my wife her 5000 - same problems, opened her account actually a day earlier than mine, but she has no elite status...so maybe a tougher road here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.