Community
Wiki Posts
Search

System wide upgrade question for Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2000, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

System wide upgrade question for Delta

I am a GM who has never upgraded once. I always fly L fares. Needless t say I have points that expire and systm wides that expire unused. (Just got a fresh one today).

How do they work at the gate. It has my name on it but not my skymile number.Can a passengerthat has the same name and were flying could he use it. Or do they somehow check the skymiles number. That is to ask if a FT out there had the same name (or close) could he use my system wides.

I am sure it would not be right, but theoretically speaking?

My name is not that uncommon.

Old Aug 28, 2000, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Looking at a Systemwide Upgrade I received in June, it has my Sky Miles number printed on the front. Unless they have recently changed, your Sky Mile number should be printed on the certificate.
Old Aug 28, 2000, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

The perils of old age. My skymiles number is there in very small print. It was not under my name. It helps to put my reading glasses on.

Oh well another one for the file to expire.

Thanks for the info
Old Aug 28, 2000, 4:51 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
They work well to start fires in the fire place in the winter time after they have expired. When they had 800 mile upgrades on paper, I had a stack so thick I needed no fire starters for entire winter, and we have long winters in Ireland.

[This message has been edited by JRF (edited 08-28-2000).]
Old Aug 28, 2000, 4:59 pm
Original Member

Beautiful country, Ireland.
Old Aug 28, 2000, 10:25 pm

Is "punt" Gaelic for "pound", or is there a different derivation?
Old Aug 28, 2000, 10:35 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
love ireland, the people, the food...
miss ireland!
Old Aug 29, 2000, 3:28 pm
Original Member

This is an interesting thread, because almost all of my travel is domestic - I had one transalantic flight last year and probably won't have any this year.
I love the system-wides, because they let me upgrade on my trans-con flights when I book. I usually have enough segments to do it, but, since I'm only Silver, I don't like waiting until 24 hours out to do the upgrade.
My wife is also Silver, but she doesnn't have any system-wides. Therefore, I pay a higher fare for her and use my system-wides and her miles to upgrade us both today for a trip to the west coast next month.
Oh, well, that's just the system.
Old Aug 29, 2000, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Enjoy them while you can.

Originally posted by philforest:
This is an interesting thread, because almost all of my travel is domestic - I had one transalantic flight last year and probably won't have any this year.
I love the system-wides, because they let me upgrade on my trans-con flights when I book. I usually have enough segments to do it, but, since I'm only Silver, I don't like waiting until 24 hours out to do the upgrade.
My wife is also Silver, but she doesnn't have any system-wides. Therefore, I pay a higher fare for her and use my system-wides and her miles to upgrade us both today for a trip to the west coast next month.
Oh, well, that's just the system.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Aug 29, 2000, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Spiff - Phil is exactly the sort of person (perhaps the only sort of person) who will do well out of the new system - a domestic flyer who wants to upgrade a companion. Remember that the new NAMU's are confirmable at time of booking (if you ever earn any, which will be a problem for silvers).

[This message has been edited by james (edited 08-29-2000).]
Old Aug 30, 2000, 6:53 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Exactly. With a 40k calendar year mileage requirement to earn 2 OW certificates, most silvers will never see any and those that do will get to upgrade a companion once in one direction. Yippee.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Aug 30, 2000, 8:10 am
msb

I lost my SM for this year since my job called for much less travel (funny, the lady I travel with got renewed even though she didn't have NEARLY enough miles or segments!).

I have a left over systemwide upgrade which
expires 10/31. Can I use this (not being Medallion anymore) for anything but kindling?
Old Aug 30, 2000, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I don't believe that you have to be Medallion to use SWUs.

Bruce
Old Aug 30, 2000, 9:01 am
msb

Thanks, Bruce. I'll give it a try. I hope SWUs are easier to use than segment upgrades.

Mark
Old Aug 30, 2000, 9:04 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally posted by Eidetic:
Is "punt" Gaelic for "pound", or is there a different derivation?
Banc Ceannais na hEireann Fiche Punt
State Bank of Ireland 20 units

Punt, does it mean Ł ? No, more likely money. My Irish is not good so I can not tell you if there is a true translation. On one side of the note it says punt and everything is in Irish and on the other side it says pound. Anyway, the € will put and end to all of that soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.