Pick DL over AA even with Chap 11?

Old Nov 6, 05, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG
Question Pick DL over AA even with Chap 11?

Here's my dilemma. I have over 75k on AA, but they are just miles, not Qualified miles. I will be doing a lot of travelling from Jan-Aug of next year. All domestic out of NYC. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and have learned plenty. Thanks to all.

Do I go for a Medallion on DL or the Plat Challenge on AA? From what I have read, and please correct me if I am wrong, I won't get upgrades on AA since my company always buys deep-discounted fares. AA only upgrades on full coach fares. On DL though I'll get upgrades on most of the posted fares. There isn't a challenge on DL, but with a couple mileage runs I might get there.

The second part of my concern is that while I believe the benefits are greater on DL for elite than AA... How concerned should I be putting all my "miles" in one basket with the Chap 11?

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 05, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by Colyer
From what I have read, and please correct me if I am wrong, I won't get upgrades on AA since my company always buys deep-discounted fares. AA only upgrades on full coach fares.
You are wrong. Domestically, practically any fare is upgradable on AA if you have elite status. However, upgrades are not free unless you have EXP status.

On DL though I'll get upgrades on most of the posted fares. There isn't a challenge on DL, but with a couple mileage runs I might get there.
There is a challenge on DL; do a search.

The second part of my concern is that while I believe the benefits are greater on DL for elite than AA
You're kidding, right?

... How concerned should I be putting all my "miles" in one basket with the Chap 11?
Not at all.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 6, 05, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

You're kidding, right?

Actually I wasn't... the benefits seem much better for DL... The upgrades are free, unlike AA (I should have been clearer in my previous post). The mileage seems better from partner airlines...

I am new to the frequent flier circuit... please educate me.
Old Nov 6, 05, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Actually I wasn't... the benefits seem much better for DL... The upgrades are free, unlike AA (I should have been clearer in my previous post). The mileage seems better from partner airlines...

Free upgrades are not necessarily a good thing (at least from my perspective). People to whom upgrades are important should "pay" for them in some fashion IMO. It keeps the F cabin free of riffraff.

SkyTeam is in a shambles right now, with F awards unavailable from a number of partner airlines.

Ex-NYC, I'm much happier with AA than with DL (and I'm top-tier on both airlines). I believe ClipperDelta, who flies a lot more than I do, has expressed a similar opinion.

Finally, my AA upgrade percentage (2.5 years and 150+ flights) is 100%.

Of course, YMMV.

Last edited by vasantn; Nov 6, 05 at 6:23 pm
Old Nov 6, 05, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate your reply... good food for thought.
Old Nov 6, 05, 7:21 pm

Where AA really zaps you is on partner airline miles across the pond. Their top partner is BA, but you are not allowed to either earn or burn AA miles on BA trans-Atlantic. That is a really crappy partner relationship. Then some of their other European partners only earn a percentage of the real miles or none at all in some fare classes. AA's European partners should be called ''limited partners''.

When DL trashed the Medallion program (now mostly restored, of course), I looked at alternatives. Reviewing the partner relationships AA had with its European partners caused me to strike them from the list of options very quickly!
Old Nov 6, 05, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Their top partner is BA, but you are not allowed to either earn or burn AA miles on BA trans-Atlantic. That is a really crappy partner relationship.
Nothing to do with the relationship; it's a governmental deal.
Old Nov 7, 05, 2:02 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Free upgrades are not necessarily a good thing (at least from my perspective). People to whom upgrades are important should "pay" for them in some fashion IMO. It keeps the F cabin free of riffraff.

SkyTeam is in a shambles right now, with F awards unavailable from a number of partner airlines.

Ex-NYC, I'm much happier with AA than with DL (and I'm top-tier on both airlines). I believe ClipperDelta, who flies a lot more than I do, has expressed a similar opinion.

Finally, my AA upgrade percentage (2.5 years and 150+ flights) is 100%.

Of course, YMMV.
While I'm upset about the lack of F awards on SkyTeam as well, I'd hardly describe it as "a shambles". Let's get real here - how many people, (including frequent flyer "newbies" actually only ever use the International First Class rewards? I'd venture to guess that domestic rewards and international business class rewards are much more realistic.

Also, with AA and oneWorld - BEWARE. You WILL be dealing with the MOST dysfunctional alliance out there! You can't even earn miles on BA flights!

Last edited by jimrpa; Nov 7, 05 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 7, 05, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Nothing to do with the relationship; it's a governmental deal.
WRONG - The US government has spelled out changes in the monopolistic behavior that would have to be taken by the partners. BA, AA and the UK government have decidedd to ignore the US government and continue attempting to behave as a state-sponsored monopoly (apparently presuming that the US government would eventually cave in).
Old Nov 7, 05, 7:24 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Also, with AA and oneWorld - BEWARE. You WILL be dealing with the MOST dysfunctional alliance out there! You can't even earn miles on BA flights!
Not true as my wife earned AA miles in September flying CDG-LHR & also LHR-DEL-LHR on BA.

However, she only received 1048 miles each way for the LHR-DEL R/T because of the el cheapo fare class that she was booked in.

If she had flown CDG-DEL on an AF codeshare and used her Skymiles number on the least expensive fare class available, she would have received 4087 MQM's each way. ^
Old Nov 7, 05, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It applies to Transatlantic flights only.
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by hfly
It applies to Transatlantic flights only.
Not much of an alliance if you have to keep track of which partners flights allow you to earn mileage. That's even worse than the CO SkyTeam deal, where some SkyTeam flights on CO only earn 50% MQMs - At least you earn SOMETHING!
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Not true as my wife earned AA miles in September flying CDG-LHR & also LHR-DEL-LHR on BA.

However, she only received 1048 miles each way for the LHR-DEL R/T because of the el cheapo fare class that she was booked in.

If she had flown CDG-DEL on an AF codeshare and used her Skymiles number on the least expensive fare class available, she would have received 4087 MQM's each way. ^
Good. YOU can keep track of which carriers flights can earn mileage in which partners frequent flyer programs then. According to both the BA and AA websites, you don't earn mileage on each others flights to/from the US. It's stupid and certainly makes oneWorld a pretty unattractive alliance.
Old Nov 7, 05, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I believe that it is all transatlantic flights but I may be mistaken.
Old Nov 7, 05, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hfly
Actually I believe that it is all transatlantic flights but I may be mistaken.
You are mistaken--no miles earned on BA for flights to and from US to LHR. You do earn miles and can redeem miles on BA flights from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Also there is a BA flight from US to MAN that earns miles I think.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: