Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pick DL over AA even with Chap 11?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Where AA really zaps you is on partner airline miles across the pond. Their top partner is BA, but you are not allowed to either earn or burn AA miles on BA trans-Atlantic. That is a really crappy partner relationship. Then some of their other European partners only earn a percentage of the real miles or none at all in some fare classes. AA's European partners should be called ''limited partners''.
You know, if AA didn't have lots of USA-LHR flights, then your concern over the inability to earn mileage on BA flights to LHR would be justified.

But it's just a tempest in a teapot because there are plenty of AA metal (100% EQM) opportunities between the USA and LHR. Six daily from JFK, four daily from ORD, one from LAX, two from BOS, and one from MIA. Two others to LGW from DFW and one to LGW from RDU.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:17 am
v3

F on AA is better

I had the opportunity to compare F on AA and Delta on several flight this year - F on AA is much closer to real F, keep this in mind when making your decision.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rachel, try reading the context from the thread, what I wrote was not only correct, but you ain't getting anycross posted miles on flights to MAN from the US, my addition of Transatlantic was made to consider BA flights to fr South America which I am not sure if they can cross post or not, they definately CANNOT between the UK and North America.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No earning AA miles on any BA flights USA-LON. From aa.com:

British Airways' transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. are not valid for AAdvantage mileage accrual or redemption.
https://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/V...artnersContent

AA miles may be earned on BA's JFK-MAN flight (AA codeshare).

AA miles may be earned/redeemed on BA flights from Canada, Caribbean and Mexico. Only problem are USA-UK LON flights on BA metal.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume that that is only true if you were on the AA code and not on the BA code.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
I would assume that that is only true if you were on the AA code and not on the BA code.
Correct. 100% EQMs on the AA code, nothing on the BA code.

Nearly the same thing on discounted coach tix to HKG (CX) or SYD (QF) and other places as well - 100% EQMs when on the AA codeshares, reduced (or none) mileage on the operating airlines' code.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Where AA really zaps you is on partner airline miles across the pond. Their top partner is BA, but you are not allowed to either earn or burn AA miles on BA trans-Atlantic. That is a really crappy partner relationship. Then some of their other European partners only earn a percentage of the real miles or none at all in some fare classes. AA's European partners should be called ''limited partners''.
I'm still trying to figure out how my MAN-LGW flight last week on BA earned me a whopping 44 AA miles. (Multiple miles flown by 2, subtract 27, divide by 4.1, and round down to the nearest mile?)
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecaarch
I'm still trying to figure out how my MAN-LGW flight last week on BA earned me a whopping 44 AA miles. (Multiple miles flown by 2, subtract 27, divide by 4.1, and round down to the nearest mile?)
Easy. 176 flown miles divided by 4 (or multiplied by 25%) equals 44 miles.

BA flights in discount coach earn 25% of flown miles. BA has become very stingy with miles.

Your mistake was not booking the AA codeshare. Had you done that, you would have earned 500 EQMs.

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
However, she only received 1048 miles each way for the LHR-DEL R/T because of the el cheapo fare class that she was booked in.

If she had flown CDG-DEL on an AF codeshare and used her Skymiles number on the least expensive fare class available, she would have received 4087 MQM's each way. ^
Wouldn't have been possible for her in September, of course, but next time, she should look at the new AA nonstop ORD-DEL (starts in two weeks) that would earn her 7466 EQMs each way, no matter what fare class, and will also be upgradeable.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Also, with AA and oneWorld - BEWARE. You WILL be dealing with the MOST dysfunctional alliance out there! You can't even earn miles on BA flights!

This is not true. You can earn miles on BA flights as long as they are not USA-London. You can circumvent this anti-trust law by flying via Montreal (montreal-LHR), for example, and get miles.

I think AA is MUCH better overall if you have EXP. There really is no comparison between PM and EXP - AA's program is leagues ahead.

I am a DL Silver Medallion and an AA PLT. The service in F on AA puts DL to shame. I wrote a post on this a week ago.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
You should have earned 125 miles instead of just 44:

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnersContent

If there's a discrepancy, call AA to claim your 81 miles (plus elite bonus, if applicable).
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
You should have earned 125 miles instead of just 44:

http://www.aa.com/apps/AAdvantage/Vi...artnersContent

If there's a discrepancy, call AA to claim your 81 miles (plus elite bonus, if applicable).
Now that makes more sense cuz a bonus posted after that for 81 miles. So my total earned is 125 miles.

I initially went to aa.com to book but got an error saying AA didn't serve the route (MAN-LGW). I am guessing that the codeshare is only valid with a connecting AA flight, which I didn't have. I was just going MAN-LGW.

Back to the topic, although DL does some things that irritate us at times, at least it is the devil we know.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
As both an AA EXP and a DL PM, I tend overall to split my vote down the middle between the two of them; one is better than the other for some things and v.v. (agree with some of the previous posts about Systemwide upgrades, Special service desks, etc.)

At the end of the day, I do give more of my business to Delta because it comes down to the intangible interpersonal aspect, which I find much better at Delta. AA is functional and delivers better "hardware" but DL is better on the "software" side of things. DL's blankets may be slightly frayed, they may not have BOSE headsets, but I generally get a more comfortable and homey feeling when I fly DL. Most of the DL front-line personnel I have encountered project a sense that they really care about you and want to make you feel at HOME; the AA folks do what they have to do to keep your BUSINESS. Flying internationally out of JFK, I've had more than my share of surly and indifferent AA FAs even in the premium cabins (domestic FAs tend to be better than international) but I have had at most 2 indifferent DL FAs in BE across the pond in the last 12 months.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 2:38 pm

Although I've been in the back of the plane rather than the front, my experiences mirror those of ClipperDelta. The FAs on AA may be professional but very cold. The FAs on DL are welcoming, especially on intl., and that experience is amplified when you are a repeat intl. pax. The DL front-line staff, including FAs, is def DL's biggest asset. ^
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Now that makes more sense cuz a bonus posted after that for 81 miles. So my total earned is 125 miles.

I initially went to aa.com to book but got an error saying AA didn't serve the route (MAN-LGW). I am guessing that the codeshare is only valid with a connecting AA flight, which I didn't have. I was just going MAN-LGW.
Correct. In order to book an intra-European flight with an AA flight number, you need to have a connecting transatlantic flight with an AA flight number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.