Diaper changing at the bulkhead?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Diaper changing at the bulkhead?

I flew SLC-LAX this evening on a 763. I was one of the last to board because my inbound SkyWest flight went mechanical on the takeoff roll (another story). Anyway, when I got on, a mother, her two (young) children and what looked to be their grandmother occupied 10 DEF. The mother of the two children asked the FA if she could change her youngest’s diaper at the bulkhead. The FA said YES!!! Though she did recommend that she go to the bathroom as they were still boarding some of the last few passengers. People were walking by and looking down at this kid and had some of the funniest looks. Anyway, the mother did in fact change her baby's diaper on the floor in front of the bulkhead. The aroma did not last as long as I would have thought, but it was pretty obvious for a while. The situation got even funnier when the real occupants of 10 DEF arrived. It turned out that the family did not look at their boarding pass at all and sat in the first set of seats they could. Their seat were scattered across row 45. I know there have been stories of baby changing in the seats, but I have not heard of it on the floor during the last bit of boarding. I really wish the FA had insisted on changing in the lav
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:43 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
I don't think you can blame the family. They asked! Stupid FA though.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
I don't think you can blame the family. They asked! Stupid FA though.
I agree. Though I don't think I would have ever thought about changing my kid anywhere but the lav. But each to their own, I suppose.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by tbangs
But each to their own, I suppose.
Unfortunately, this was not a case of "each to their own". The other people in the area got a very unwecome gift from a baby who was not their own.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by tbangs
I agree. Though I don't think I would have ever thought about changing my kid anywhere but the lav. But each to their own, I suppose.
Ever try changing a baby in an aircraft lav? I never found the room required.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:22 pm
J-M
Suspended

Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. to the FA for saying yes. Babies should never be changed anywhere other than a lav. People put their feet on the floor by the bulkhead, and they eat off of the tray tables (another common place parents think it's "ok" to change thier kids).
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:28 pm

Programs: Ex-Northwest; Delta PM, Hertz Gold, Marriott Gold,
If this TA extends this policy to Adult Diapers, I quit flying.

Period.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:24 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by J-M
Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. to the FA for saying yes. Babies should never be changed anywhere other than a lav. People put their feet on the floor by the bulkhead, and they eat off of the tray tables (another common place parents think it's "ok" to change thier kids).
I basically agree, but in some circumstances you just can't fit into the lav. On mainline aircraft, I could always do it in the lav...

but, I [and mind you, I am a standard size 5'10" male] could NOT manage a diaper change in the lav on a regional jet... it just won't work... so, I had to on occasion use the unoccupied seats [luckily there were unoccupied seats] in the last row....

BTW : after doing the diaper change... I always wiped the area using my anti-bacterial wipes... so, basically, any area where I changed the diaper was probably cleaner after I got done !
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
BTW : after doing the diaper change... I always wiped the area using my anti-bacterial wipes... so, basically, any area where I changed the diaper was probably cleaner after I got done !
Ah, if only the rest of the world was as considerate...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by cdepks
Ever try changing a baby in an aircraft lav? I never found the room required.
Some equipment actually has a diaper change table but I can't remember if any of DL's equipment does. The last one I noticed was on an AF Airbus.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Leaving out of this right or wrong, if this was going on just as they were boarding why didnt this parent change the child before getting on the plane (yes I realize there is a chance that the child JUST did it but more than likely the parent walked on with it that way).
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Disgusting!

This is absolutely disgusting! I can't imagine the type of people who would subject a plane full of people to this kind of visual and odorous assault! Further, the FA who approved this little "stunt" needs serious customer care re-education!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jimrpa
This is absolutely disgusting! I can't imagine the type of people who would subject a plane full of people to this kind of visual and odorous assault! Further, the FA who approved this little "stunt" needs serious customer care re-education!
All of these sentiments are true IMO, but be prepared to be flamed as childless, heartless or senseless, or some combination of the above.

My golden rule when travelling (in general, NOT specifically related to children, etc.) -- I will go out of my way to ensure that those around me are not discomfited in any way by me or my actions, even if I can make an argument that such actions are "understandable." "In any way" means just that -- even if someone is bothering me, I bend over backwards to be polite and live with it. I am appropriately penitent and offer remedies when I inadvertently breach this standard.

Sadly, while most other travellers do the exactly the same -- and when I say most, I genuinely mean 99% of fellow travellers -- others do not, and it simply is the price we pay for using a common carrier.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:53 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I saw this behavior at a table in Qdoba the other day.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:07 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really think that anything having to do with ones private parts should remain as private as possible.

Originally Posted by andymo99
I saw this behavior at a table in Qdoba the other day.

Whats Qdoba?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.