Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Cuts at Delta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Additional Cuts at Delta

DL announced an "accelerated" Transformation Plan today, designed to save an additional $3 billion in costs:
- approx. $1 billion to come from CH.11 debt relief, lease rejections
- approx. $1 billion to come from wage/benefits cuts
- approx. $1 billion to come from revenue/network productivity improvements

Other highlights:
- already rejected 40 leased mainline a/c not currently in service
- will reject another 80+ leased mainline a/c by end of 2006
- $325million pay cuts for pilots; $605 million for rest of employees
- Grinstein gets a 25% pay reduction; Officers get 15% reduction
- Elimination of 7,000 - 9,000 jobs by end of 2007
- Non-union frontline employees get cuts of 7-10% except those earning less than $25,000 annually
- reduce domestic network by 15-20%
- increase international flying by 25%

Here's the full text:

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/050922/86482.html
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:52 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
What does it mean to "reject leased aircraft"? Is this the same as breaking the lease and returning the aircraft to the owner?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimrpa
What does it mean to "reject leased aircraft"? Is this the same as breaking the lease and returning the aircraft to the owner?
Yes.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
DL announced an "accelerated" Transformation Plan today, designed to save an additional $3 billion in costs:
- approx. $1 billion to come from CH.11 debt relief, lease rejections
- approx. $1 billion to come from wage/benefits cuts
- approx. $1 billion to come from revenue/network productivity improvements

Other highlights:
- already rejected 40 leased mainline a/c not currently in service
- will reject another 80+ leased mainline a/c by end of 2006
- $325million pay cuts for pilots; $605 million for rest of employees
- Grinstein gets a 25% pay reduction; Officers get 15% reduction
- Elimination of 7,000 - 9,000 jobs by end of 2007
- Non-union frontline employees get cuts of 7-10% except those earning less than $25,000 annually
- reduce domestic network by 15-20%
- increase international flying by 25%

Guys, I've been around Flyertalk for a while and I'm as cynical as anyone else. Maybe more so.

I'll tell you what I see. I see a guy 70 yrs old who wants to save an airline and as many employees as he can and frankly, even I can't see any way to make a case for this guy doing anything to feather his own bed.

I also see a wage/benefits cut total that is less than I expected, which suggests he wants to try to cut rather than erase the pension issue. The shareholders are already screwed and he knows it. Now he's out to do what he can for the passengers and the employees that remain after the pain.

I'll tell you something else I see. I see a guy who has decided he's not going to pay lawyers for 2-3 yrs while they siphon off ticket revenue doing bankruptcy court motions. He wants it fixed, he wants it fixed now and he's going to do what it takes to make it happen.

And then he's going to retire and die knowing he did the best he could for the airline.

Well, folks, I like this. I like this a lot. I'm going to fly Delta whenever I can to help him. This is a CEO committed to his company and not his own checkbook.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:38 am

MSNBC just said that the work force cuts are 16% of all DL employees, or one out of six. Above all else, I certainly hate to see this continue to happen to the many Delta people I've gotten to know over the past 2 decades. We can only hope that this puts Delta on a sound financial footing that enables them to be around not only for those of us with a couple million miles in the "bank" but most important for the remaining employees.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Which Planes are they rejecting?

I was wondering if anyone knew which planes Delta is rejecting leases on?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: NW Gold now, WC, SPG Gold
Also, CNN said that they are cutting their aircraft types from 11 to 7; what is leaving the fleet?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:20 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by NWsilverflyer
Also, CNN said that they are cutting their aircraft types from 11 to 7; what is leaving the fleet?
I wish it meant no more CRJs, but we all know that's not going to happen.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:25 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Spiff
Not only is it not going to happen, but having watched a similar strategy play out at UA (bkcy + shift down of domestic to ramp up Int'l), it'd be likely to assume greater DL use of CRJs to run the domestic sked.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
You might be surprised. Notice this line from the press release:

Reductions to the regional jet fleet at Delta Connection carrier Comair are under evaluation and are expected to be determined soon.

Over the next few years, I think you will actually see fewer CRJ's (particularly the 50 seat kind). However, you will see more E170's and possibly E190s.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
You might be surprised. Notice this line from the press release:

Reductions to the regional jet fleet at Delta Connection carrier Comair are under evaluation and are expected to be determined soon.

Over the next few years, I think you will actually see fewer CRJ's (particularly the 50 seat kind). However, you will see more E170's and possibly E190s.
I think so too as I heard that the new proposed contract with the pilots includes a new "100 seater" pay scale which would make the E190 a possibility at mainline.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Fleet Type Reduction Guess

Definitely these three are gone:

767-200
737-200
737-300

The fourth one is tough, I'm guessing either the 777, 767-300 or MD-90

They need the 767-300's and 777 for their increased international flying. BUT, I figure they have to keep the MD-90 because it has significantly better fuel burn than the MD-88. I'd say the 777 is the most likely of the three to go, due to the very small number (8) they have on hand.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well ATL-NRT is their only transpacific destination, so they could get rid of the 777s, sell NRT to UA or NW (since a 763ER probably can't make ATL-NRT with the necessary pax and cargo load), and then use NW and SkyTeam to get you across the Pacific.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by veliger
Definitely these three are gone:

767-200
737-200
737-300

The fourth one is tough, I'm guessing either the 777, 767-300 or MD-90

They need the 767-300's and 777 for their increased international flying. BUT, I figure they have to keep the MD-90 because it has significantly better fuel burn than the MD-88. I'd say the 777 is the most likely of the three to go, due to the very small number (8) they have on hand.
The fourth type you are missing is the 733G (glass cockpit). DL has two variants of the 733...which are two different fleet types.

DL has said they will have seven fleet types by the end of '06. Those are:

MD88/MD90/738/757/763/764/777
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Well ATL-NRT is their only transpacific destination, so they could get rid of the 777s, sell NRT to UA or NW (since a 763ER probably can't make ATL-NRT with the necessary pax and cargo load), and then use NW and SkyTeam to get you across the Pacific.
Except that NRT-ATL is a winner for DL with loads averaging 85-90% year round (which frankly amazes me) in addition to a consistently well-filled J cabin (and not from free tickets or upgrades).

Besides, with the amount of expanded international flying, they need the 777s around. The 777s are relatively fuel-efficient and are all owned, not leased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.