Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Amex 35% skymiles bonus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Delta/Amex 35% skymiles bonus

I have enrolled for the recent promotion allowing you to transfer AMEX MR points into Delta skymiles for an additional 35% mile bonus but I'm not sure whether or not to proceed with the transfer because of Delta's precarious situation. If they file bankruptcy or worse--go belly-up--will our Delta skymiles be accepted by another airline? Does anyone care to venture a guess as to how safe it is to put all your eggs in the Delta basket at this time? What would you do? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:26 am

There are a ton of threads on this. Even if Delta goes into Chapt. 11, they are not going to stop flying and nothing is going to happen to SkyMiles.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:41 am

reginarose, welcome to FT. The consensus (Dare I use that word with regard to FTers?) seems to me to be that the DL situation is similar to those of any other airline that has declared bankruptcy lately. Even if it does happen it will probably be some considerable time before such an action would result in direct effects on the availability of DL flights. That has certainly been the case with US and others. IMHO, your miles would probably be safe in the short term of at least 6- 12 months. If you were planning to use the miles in that time frame I would go for the 35% bonus and move the miles to DL. Beyond that time frame I think I would hesitate not only because DL could have major problems but because if they survive they will probably have a similar bonus offer in the future. With a longer time frame, if you keep the miles in the MR account you have the flexibilty to use them elsewhere if there's a failure or get the bonus again if there is not.

There's no way to know what would happen to your miles if DL actually did go out of business although in most cases when a airline has actually done that existing tickets were honored on other airlines and/or your miles were continued by an airline that bought out or merged with the failed airline. There have been exceptions to this but I don't believe with a major USA airline. (OK, FTers, let me have it for this sage advice!)
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Is this a targetted promotion? If not, do you have URL for it?
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=35%25

I believe the promo is until Sept 15th. www.delta.com/summerbonus

Terms & Conditions

Eligibility:
Registration is required in order to qualify for the bonus. This offer is valid only for SkyMiles members living in the United States. If you are not yet a SkyMiles member, you can enroll now.

Bonus Offer:
Membership Rewards enrollees will receive one mile for every eligible Membership Rewards point transferred. The SkyMiles bonus will be based on the total number of miles placed into the SkyMiles account as a result of Membership Reward transfers during the promotional period from August 1 to September 15, 2005.

Bonus Award Information:
All Delta SkyMiles Membership Rules & Conditions apply. Please allow 12–24 hours for Membership Rewards points to be transferred into your Delta SkyMiles account. Once accrued points in a Cardmember's Membership Rewards account have been transferred to the Cardmember's Delta SkyMiles account, the points cannot be transferred back. Bonus miles will be posted up to 8 weeks from the expiration date of the promotion, September 15, 2005.

Fees:
Cardmembers transferring Membership Rewards points to U.S.-based airlines will be charged a fee of $.0004 per point, up to $50. This charge is to offset the excise taxes American Express currently pays to the government for such transactions.

Award Travel Options:
Miles can be used, subject to availability, for Award Travel on Delta, Delta Connection®, Delta Shuttle®, Song®, or on any of Delta's airline partners.

Looks like the SM account has to be US based

Hope you can still get in on this, Dovster
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by tbangs

Looks like the SM account has to be US based
Curses! Foiled again!
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks & link to promo

Thanks upgrader and dspringer 28 for the info and sorry you had to repeat it for me. I am new to FT and couldn't find my answer elsewhere on this site.

To Dovster, the promo came to me via e-mail from AMEX and here's what it said:

Simply transfer Membership Rewards® points to your Delta SkyMiles account between August 1 and September 15, 2005 and you can receive one mile for every point you transfer, plus a 35% bonus on the total number of points transferred during the promotional period.

1. Register for this limited-time offer at delta.com/summerbonus
or call 1-800-266-7077.

2. Next, transfer Membership Rewards points to your SkyMiles
account by visiting americanexpress.com/rewards
or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I just received my 35% bonus on the 36000 miles I transferred on Sept 13th. I only learned about this promo and registered 10 minutes before making the transfer, so I am very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks once again to FT for giving me 11000 miles that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.