FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   What On Earth Is Going On Here--MD-88s have THREE Exit Rows? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/461116-what-earth-going-here-md-88s-have-three-exit-rows.html)

hnechets Aug 9, 2005 8:42 pm

What On Earth Is Going On Here--MD-88s have THREE Exit Rows?

I am just not getting this...

The Delta web site is down, so I booked my ticket thru Orbitz, then called Delta to get my NW Worldperks # put into the reservation.

I could not get any of my requested seat assignments, probably due to Delta's web site being down, so I did this thru Delta on the phone as well.

I was checking about exit row seats on MD-88s, and the guy kept telling me that rows 24, 25, AND 26 were exit row seats.

??????????

Also, on the last leg, on a CRJ, he told me that the first 6 rows were blocked. Not occupied, but blocked from assignment over the telephone. What's with this?

Just very curious as to what is going on here. I've never in my life been on an MD-88 with three exit rows. Is there a mod of the type that I have somehow missed all these years? And what is this with Delta blocking the first 6 rows on a CRJ? I fly NW regularly on CRJs, and all rows have been available for selection unless they are occupied.

I admit I don't fly Delta a lot, but these modifications have me a little bit baffled. Any insight would be appreciated. (I know the CS agent could not be this wrong. I am anticipating very eagerly flying a new type MD-88 as well, so it's not all bad news.)

But those blocked rows on the CRJ have me somewhat worried. Last time something like this happened, it was on a 727 and Barbara Bush & entourage were on the plane up in first class. I can't imagine some high government official being on a CRJ, but if so, I'd just as soon bail on the flight now as have some untrained (as far as airframe & power goes) spooks doing lord-knows-what around the vehicle.

Of course, I KNOW that the info given me is 100% correct, it came straight from Delta! ;)

Traveller Aug 9, 2005 8:49 pm

On the MD88s I'm on, rows 25, 26 seats ABC and rows 24, 25 seats DE (2 seat side) are the exit rows. The seats are offset on each side, thus maybe looking like there are 3 exit rows since there are 3 unique numbers?

Are you elite on DL? Maybe the 1st 6 rows are being blocked out for DL elites?

Bulldog King Aug 9, 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by hnechets
I am just not getting this...

The Delta web site is down, so I booked my ticket thru Orbitz, then called Delta to get my NW Worldperks # put into the reservation.

I could not get any of my requested seat assignments, probably due to Delta's web site being down, so I did this thru Delta on the phone as well.

I was checking about exit row seats on MD-88s, and the guy kept telling me that rows 24, 25, AND 26 were exit row seats.

??????????

Technically, those 3 rows are exit rows.....but only part of 24 (2 seat side) and part of 26 (3 seat side) are actually by an exit.

The best exit row seats (full recline and extra legroom) on a Delta MD-88 are 24 D (aisle), 25 B,C,D,E and 26 A,B and C.

Check www.seatguru.com for additional info on aircraft seating. ;)

A.J.

Lehava Aug 9, 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
On the MD88s I'm on, rows 25, 26 seats ABC and rows 24, 25 seats DE (2 seat side) are the exit rows. The seats are offset on each side, thus maybe looking like there are 3 exit rows since there are 3 unique numbers?

Are you elite on DL? Maybe the 1st 6 rows are being blocked out for DL elites?

This most likely does have to do with your elite status (and since you mentioned you are using your WP number Delta wont see you as an elite even if you are a DL Elite, at least related to upgrades and seating). DL has now gone to the front of CRJ's and exit rows on all flights being held as Elite Preferred seating, until very close to flight time.

N808DE Aug 9, 2005 9:41 pm

Also, on the last leg, on a CRJ, he told me that the first 6 rows were blocked. Not occupied, but blocked from assignment over the telephone.

Rather, blocked from assignment to any non-DL Elite. The first Y rows of all DL flights are blocked for DL Elite until day of departure.

JS Aug 9, 2005 10:15 pm

How can 25 B and C recline when 26 ABC is also an exit row?

MikeMpls Aug 9, 2005 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
you mentioned you are using your WP number Delta wont see you as an elite even if you are a DL Elite, at least related to upgrades and seating). DL has now gone to the front of CRJ's and exit rows on all flights being held as Elite Preferred seating, until very close to flight time.

That is incorrect. Skyteam Elites (which includes NW WP elites) are allowed access to preferred seating (including exit rows), preboarding and priority standby on DL.

What exit rows are blocked depends on the aircraft type. On MD-80's (the DL type I fly on most often), only half of the exit rows are blocked as premium seating; the remainder are available openly to anyone on delta.com who can answer some questions "correctly".

MikeMpls Aug 9, 2005 11:22 pm

Delta has the ability to get your NW WP number correct & totally miss your status. With me this seems to happen when I book thru Expedia. Sometimes when you need access to better seating you need to request a supervisor and become insistent.

Last time around, when the supervisor tried to give me the brushoff, I said sometime along the lines of "As a Northwest gold elite I am entitled to access to your premium seating, and I expect to receive it." She put me on hold for 5-10 minutes and was much more cooperative when she came back; must have called NW to check on my status.

I really like Delta's domestic service but the computers don't see to interface very well with others, e.g. NW & Expedia. And despite assurances in this board & the NW board, neither NW nor DL will issue me boarding passes for the other.

hnechets Aug 10, 2005 4:09 am

Yeah, I suspect my non-elite status is the reason for the CRJ blocking. They probably aren't recognizing my NW elite status. That's OK, I can live with that, I was just curious.

On the MD-88 thing, I apologize, I should have been clearer. Yes, the staggered/offset row numbering is confusing at times, but I should have added that I was being told that *all* of the seats in the 3 rows were exit rows. Still kinda humorous.

Thanks for the replies & ideas!

DanJ Aug 10, 2005 5:21 am

On my upcoming CRJ flight, only the first row was blocked. We are in 3rd row.

MikeMpls Aug 10, 2005 8:54 am

Originally Posted by DanJ

DL blocks bulkheads on all flights until a few hours before departure.

The conventional wisdom is that only the GA's for the flight can assign them, but on departure from MSP, I've had MSP GA's assign me bulkheads for segments later in the day.

They are generally given to whoever asks first.

travelnutz Aug 10, 2005 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DanJ

Some CRJs start with the 3rd row. In those versions, there isn't row 1 or 2.

DanJ Aug 11, 2005 5:29 am

Alas, I'm not fortunate enough to be on one of those, according to the seating chart.

jerry crump Aug 11, 2005 6:55 am

Preffered seating on a CRJ. Now that's an interesting term.

MikeMpls Aug 11, 2005 7:35 am

Originally Posted by jerry crump
Preffered seating on a CRJ. Now that's an interesting term.

A good seat allows you to escape from the cage sooner.