DL Employees upgrd over medallion?

Old Aug 9, 05, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
DL Employees upgrd over medallion?

I was recently on a flight and denied an upgrade, but the 1st cabin was definitely home to 5 or 6 attendants in uniform. Does Delta have a policy on this? Is it possible the DL employees are medallion members too?
Old Aug 9, 05, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I know that employees can't earn miles if they fly for free, but I've never seen any restriction on membership. I'm pretty new here, but I guess it's technically feasible that an employee could have some sort of status...but all 6?
Old Aug 9, 05, 3:19 pm

I find it hard to believe that an employee would allow such a blatant disregard of the policy.
Old Aug 9, 05, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
In uniform to me would have meant they had Positive Space priority - in other words, the airline needed them to work at their destination so they were travelling on official company business (probably).
Old Aug 9, 05, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
In uniform to me would have meant they had Positive Space priority - in other words, the airline needed them to work at their destination so they were travelling on official company business (probably).
And we all know that Y is negative space.
Old Aug 9, 05, 3:26 pm

If it is one employee you could be suspicious, but five probably had a reason. See a post of mine further back where somoene I know was denied an upgrade, only to later find out online that the upgrade had in fact cleared. After boarding, the GA cleared the upgrade and put an employee in the seat, rather than bringing the new BP back to its rightful recipient.
Old Aug 9, 05, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I agree. OTOH, I have seen uniformed FAs and pilots, yes pilots, seated in Y and would have to assume they were commuting as opposed to deadheading.
Old Aug 9, 05, 5:28 pm

I have had an S3 be given my seat my a GA before.

However, this sounds more like a situation I had last year on DL 1285 DCA-ATL. Flight originates at JFK. Since there weren't medallions requesting seats in JFK, a flight attendant in uniform commuting back to ATL rightly took seat. Since she was in seat as "through" passenger, that seat did not show as available for upgrading at DCA. I asked GA about that; he said that once upgraded flight attendant didn't need to give back seat. If I hadn't been already upgraded, I would have been livid. I was considering going to back of plane and finding out who was next on list and letting them know why they weren't upgraded.

It would be interesting to know if the OP was on the second leg of a through flight.

Marc
Old Aug 9, 05, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by mouseout
I was recently on a flight and denied an upgrade, but the 1st cabin was definitely home to 5 or 6 attendants in uniform. Does Delta have a policy on this? Is it possible the DL employees are medallion members too?
Welcome to FT. The employees should not have had higher priority than you in any case (as non-revs). The only other possibility I can think of is that you had requested an upgrade at some point before arriving at the airport (either requested the upgrade online or over the phone). Those upgrades only clear up to 3 hrs before departure. In order to request the upgrade after the 3 hr window, you have to go on the "airport standby upgrade list". You are not automatically put on this list - even if you had checked in online. Thought your situation may have not resulted from the "airport standby upgrade list" situation, my advice would be to always make sure that you are added to that list.

Oh and from re-reading your post, I must say that my above comments only relate to domestic travel. International upgrades are a whole other ballgame, and the source of constant irritation to medallion members (especially those who post to FT) as non-revs so often get Business Elite seats ahead of paying medallions.
Old Aug 9, 05, 6:21 pm

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
More than likely they were on positive space tickets, dead heading somewhere. A lot of times these seats are assigned before hand, and i've noticed sometimes they get assigned to F seats. (Maybe Y is full? And yes I realize they could go ahead and upgrade the medallions, but I'm sure it's a case of someone not wanting to do a lot of work - they just want to give them seats)
Old Aug 9, 05, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jfulcher
More than likely they were on positive space tickets, dead heading somewhere. A lot of times these seats are assigned before hand, and i've noticed sometimes they get assigned to F seats. (Maybe Y is full? And yes I realize they could go ahead and upgrade the medallions, but I'm sure it's a case of someone not wanting to do a lot of work - they just want to give them seats)
And that's not a valid excuse.

The OP should write a letter to DL so that the GA who did this is "retrained".
Old Aug 9, 05, 7:57 pm

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
And that's not a valid excuse.

The OP should write a letter to DL so that the GA who did this is "retrained".
The gate agent doesn't usually do this. I think it's done by scheduling.

They are traveling on business - what's so bad about this? I'd rather have well rested FAs on whatever flight they are on next than cranky ones that had to sit in a middle seat in Y.. Maybe that's just me..

Last edited by jfulcher; Aug 9, 05 at 8:01 pm
Old Aug 10, 05, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM (0.9MM), MR PM, National Ex+, blah blah blah
The gate agent doesn't usually do this. I think it's done by scheduling.

They are traveling on business - what's so bad about this? I'd rather have well rested FAs on whatever flight they are on next than cranky ones that had to sit in a middle seat in Y.. Maybe that's just me..
ME TOO! And though that's true, DL does need to remember who's continued ticket purchases (read that Medallions) are helping to pay the salaries of those FAs. It's a thought.
Old Aug 10, 05, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If coach isn't good enough for the employees, then it's time to upgrade coach, not the employees.

Employees should be accommodated in F only after all paying/upgrading passengers have been accommodated.
Old Aug 10, 05, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Amazing.......

It is amazing to me that people should tell other companies how to run their business. You don't know the perks and benefits other companies give their employees. What makes you think you have the right to tell Delta how to operate their company. If you don't like it, fly another airline. I hear the same crap from people who think if you have extra football tickets you should offer them for face value - this from the same people who wouldn't pay face value in the "low attendance" times.

The flying rules are simple - if you don't have a confirmed upgrade, the GA(or the screen) will let you know if you get one. If DL decided to put one of their own in an upgraded seat, it isn't your business. Buy enough stock and put yourself on the BOD and get the policy changed. Until then, start up your own airline, buy a FC ticket, fly another carrier, or drive. Quit griping about how DL should run their airline.

Last edited by USCGamecock; Aug 10, 05 at 1:35 pm

Search this Thread