Wiki Posts
Search

routing makes no sense

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Question routing makes no sense

Its me again.

In Delta online reservations system, I put in PHL to YQB outbound Oct 20, AM, inbound Oct 25th, PM, for example (the same thing happens for other dates.) They route me Philadelphia to Cincinnati, Cincinnati to Newark, and Newark to Quebec City, which I have said before is crazy.

I live almost equally bet Phl airport and Newark.

So I put in same dates and times EWR to YQB. They say "No flights are scheduled between Ewr and YQB on the dates you have specified."

Now obviously that is impossible. I can't even fathom a reason why they would say that.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Not necessarily impossible. If one or more of the legs is via a codeshare, DL may or may not be allowed to sell tickets between various points on the itinerary accoding to the terms of the codeshare.

The crazy routing is just delta.com's attempt to get you where you wanna go using flights that DL operates or has codeshares on.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:29 pm

The flight from EWR to YQB is on Continental as a codeshare. It may be that DL's codeshare agreement prohibits it from selling DL tix on trips (not flights) originating from a CO hub (this is purely a guess, but a logical one in that the airlines may have agreed that they don't want to encourage hub-originating flyers from booking through non-hub partners).
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Why not just book through CO on the CO flight from EWR-YQB? You will get all the same bennies.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by agent511

So I put in same dates and times EWR to YQB. They say "No flights are scheduled between Ewr and YQB on the dates you have specified."

Now obviously that is impossible. I can't even fathom a reason why they would say that.
Oh Oh I actually know this answer. You get this because they dont have an anytime option on their website (learned this booking a flight two weeks ago). If you put a time of day in, say 4 pm, and Delta doesnt have a flight within a couple hours of that flight and you ahve "by schedule" selected it gives you that message instead of showing you wht they do have available during the day. It is a TERRIBLY stupid design which is going to cost them money (before I realized that was what was happening I went and booked on another airline thinking Delta didnt serve that airport).

What I am now doing is going first to a website like Expedia that does have an anytime option, finding out when Delta DOES have a flight and then entering that time on the DL website.

Hope this helps

Hope that
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Why not just book through CO on the CO flight from EWR-YQB? You will get all the same bennies.
But half the MQM's if it is a low fare...
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Some routes are not elgibile for code share flights. i.e. Delta can sell a ticket from PHL to YQB using CO metal, but not from EWR, even though you ultimately wind up on the same flight. I'd just book through CO.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
Oh Oh I actually know this answer. You get this because they dont have an anytime option on their website (learned this booking a flight two weeks ago). If you put a time of day in, say 4 pm, and Delta doesnt have a flight within a couple hours of that flight and you ahve "by schedule" selected it gives you that message instead of showing you wht they do have available during the day. It is a TERRIBLY stupid design which is going to cost them money (before I realized that was what was happening I went and booked on another airline thinking Delta didnt serve that airport).

What I am now doing is going first to a website like Expedia that does have an anytime option, finding out when Delta DOES have a flight and then entering that time on the DL website.

Hope this helps

Hope that
Except that's not what's going on here -- if you go to DL's website, and put in EWR-YQB for various times throughout the day, no flights EVER come up.
Instead, this definitely relates to the fact that DL cannot sell the EWR-YQB route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.