FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Possibly the Stupidest Question Ever Asked by Someone not a Newbie (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/458337-possibly-stupidest-question-ever-asked-someone-not-newbie.html)

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 8:14 pm

Possibly the Stupidest Question Ever Asked by Someone not a Newbie

Ok...I just want to confirm my understanding on something (and yes I should know this, but alas I have never bought a ticket using sm's - always stupidly used to use them to upgrade). I just want to confirm I am correct in my belief that if I buy a ticket using miles (say to Tel Aviv) it does NOT earn miles and MQM's. Is that correct?

Self disclaimer...for the record, I said I travel often, and sometimes go far but never said I get this whole thing or travel smart *smile*

Traveller Aug 1, 2005 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lehava
Ok...I just want to confirm my understanding on something (and yes I should know this, but alas I have never bought a ticket using sm's - always stupidly used to use them to upgrade). I just want to confirm I am correct in my belief that if I buy a ticket using miles (say to Tel Aviv) it does NOT earn miles and MQM's. Is that correct?

Self disclaimer...for the record, I said I travel often, and sometimes go far but never said I get this whole thing or travel smart *smile*

True, you don't accrue miles/MQMs on award tickets. Do you have 160k miles? It will take that (SkyChoice) to get BE into TLV at this late date.

PIONEER Aug 1, 2005 8:19 pm

right, correct, & right

rkt10 Aug 1, 2005 8:21 pm

Pity 'tho, huh?
Rita

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
True, you don't accrue miles/MQMs on award tickets. Do you have 160k miles? It will take that (SkyChoice) to get BE into TLV at this late date.

Not yet but thinking in doing some calculations I probably have a MUCH better chance of making that than I do of coming up with the cash. I figure between what I earn with flights, what I should be able to nab out of the account on our corporate Delta Amex SM's card, what I earn with hotels and so on (oh yeah and what I can steal from CTM *giggle) that I have a decent chance of coming up with the miles before November. But certainly not going to shoot all those miles and not also make status (see the miles throw your theory of TLV getting me to Gold out the window).

I was REALLY hoping someone would tell me I was wrong and that would accrue me MQM's....well back to the drawing board again....gonna have to see what else Acme has in the catalog *smile*

Cholula Aug 1, 2005 8:25 pm

Lehava....even though you've turned into a Power Poster™, you're still somewhat of a "newbie" since you've only been on-line for a couple months.
So "stupid" questions are still OK for a few more weeks...;).
I have read the very occasional, anecdotal post about someone gaining miles on an award ticket but I wouldn't hold me breath waiting for them to post. It happened more in the olden days before computers took over the system.

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 8:27 pm

oh and its only 120,000 (not 160K) for Business. *smile*

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
Lehava....even though you've turned into a Power Poster™, you're still somewhat of a "newbie" since you've only been on-line for a couple months.
So "stupid" questions are still OK for a few more weeks...;).
I have read the very occasional, anecdotal post about someone gaining miles on an award ticket but I wouldn't hold me breath waiting for them to post. It happened more in the olden days before computers took over the system.

Ahhh for the olden days, oh wait I am young I wasnt around in them days *giggle*.

I should go with what you are saying, and not look soooooo stupid, but in reality Chol I lurked for years here before I posted, so I should know this stuff, and kinda do, but also think I have learned some bad information along the way (like that you dont get MQM's if you fly NW) and am still sorting out the myths from the reality I have read on here.

Cholula Aug 1, 2005 8:41 pm

... am still sorting out the myths from the reality I have read on here.

Nice way to put it.
Also known as "separating the wheat from the chaff" and, a bit more crudely, rolling up your pants and wading through the bullsh!t.....;).

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 8:53 pm

Nice way to put it.
Also known as "separating the wheat from the chaff" and, a bit more crudely, rolling up your pants and wading through the bullsh!t.....;).

LOL..the last one seems most appropriate!!!!!

You know I just figured out two reasons why I cant change my loyalty to NW...1) I just am FINALLY figuring out the rules on DL, if I change now I will be clueless (sitting here fighting at the moment to figure out my trip that I have to take on NW what its is going to miles wise and their website isnt making it as easy as DL's plus I dont know if the number they give is what you get in SM's) and 2) You guys make me smile (well SOME OF YOU do *grin* and I'd be lonely over there).

Traveller Aug 1, 2005 9:18 pm

oh and its only 120,000 (not 160K) for Business. *smile*

Actually I had to use 180k miles for a BE SkyChoice award. :mad:

Lehava Aug 1, 2005 9:21 pm

Actually I had to use 180k miles for a BE SkyChoice award. :mad:

Chart says 120 but nothing would suprise me at this point!

Traveller Aug 1, 2005 9:40 pm

Chart says 120 but nothing would suprise me at this point!

Wow, I wonder if this changed? When I got my ticket, BE was 90k miles but I had to use double (SkyChoice). Now here's the chart:

Israel or the Middle East3 80,000 120,000 160,000

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...nada/index.jsp

Does anyone know if the award amount to Israel from the US has changed in the last few months or if Lahava and I are reading it wrong??? :confused:

And when I do the award chart calculator I get 120k miles. WHEN DID THIS CHANGE????
From U.S. Excluding Hawaii to Israel

Delta and Multi-Airline Awards
Miles Required Cabin Carrier Award Code Award Details
80,000 Economy Multi-Airline (including Delta) T171 Details/Restrictions
90,000 Economy Multi-Airline (including Delta) X175 Details/Restrictions
120,000 Business Multi-Airline (including Delta) T271 Details/Restrictions
160,000 First Class Multi-Airline (including Delta) T371 Details/Restrictions

Other Airline Awards
Miles Required Cabin Carrier Award Code Award Details
80,000 Economy El Al Y171 Details/Restrictions
120,000 Business El Al Y271 Details/Restrictions
80,000 Economy Emirates Airlines R171 Details/Restrictions
120,000 Business Emirates Airlines R271 Details/Restrictions
160,000 First Class Emirates Airlines R371 Details/Restrictions

ps. My code is an E231. We must be reading this wrong.

Cholula Aug 1, 2005 9:47 pm

WHEN DID THIS CHANGE????

It changed about a month ago but DL's NOT honoring any retroactive requests for SM's credit.
Sorry.
:p.

miro Aug 1, 2005 9:57 pm

LehavaI have read the very occasional, anecdotal post about someone gaining miles on an award ticket but I wouldn't hold me breath waiting for them to post. It happened more in the olden days before computers took over the system.

Funny you mention that, Cholula. Happened to my wife this June. We have obtained BE awards to Europe and purchased an infant ticket for our daughter. For some reason the check-in personnel in ATL thought that for intl BE it is not enough to have "infant in arms" on an adult boarding pass and tried to print the boarding pass for our daughter. It took about 1/2 hour, she tried almost everything and then... just took a blank BP an manually wrote (!!) a BP for our daughter. Of course it was not needed, but do I have to tell you that?

When I got home back from the vacations I found that my wife has been credited miles and MQMs for the ATL-CDG leg with 50% BE bonus. Well, thank you, Air France!